My ideal EDC flashlight

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
My ideal EDC flashlight (concept)

IT WOULD HAVE:

really warm white, smooth, wide spill, more flood than throw.
what you think would be nice q3 5a, mce j?

bright! with lowlow option by programming.
from something like: 1 lumen to as high as possible.. +200
Runtime: 1-2 hours on high? long as possible with good regulation.
low battery warning blink. overdischarge protection. battery voltage test.

size: depending of battery. AA/Cr123/18650 (im ok with em all.. but i believe for runtime 18650/crs are only viable if using high power led)
general rule 70mm is a bit short, 150mm too long to keep in pocket..
diameter: cant go much more than 25mm diameter or becomes bulky. 20mm-28mm?
so size of 100-120mm*25mm would be ok by me.

weight hmm.. light as possible, possible to have it under 120grams with battery? (if 18650, they are what 50g each anyways)
made of aluminum or impact resisting plastic.
plastic: warmer to hold in hand, and safer to hold between teeth, but leds run hot. so better forget it and only get a rubber sleeve to slip over the handle. titanium etc exotics get too pricey. so Al it is. as its cost effective as well.

good sturdy removable pocket clip that allows light to hang deep in the pocket, only clip showing.

price: low! hah.. seriously: how about 60-80usd? ok thats a dream. hopefully under 100 anyways.

water resistant/dunkable.

foward clicky tailcap switch. momentary on, go thru modes by tapping, full click on.

with twisty head (or part of the body) to choose from 4 different group of light modes.

I dont think i need last mode memory in this light. as you only have 2 taps or twist and click for access a light setting you look for, if you set them up right.

and those light modes, variable brightness/output for all. including sos, beacon, strobe and batterycheck.

there is the turning switch, either in bezel or behind it as part of the frame.
2 clicks left and/or right and off mode in middle.
so there is basically modes like
setting left two, left one, OFF, setting right one and right two.

2-1-OFF-1-2

so all in all my flashlight would be a customizable multi mode clicky-twisty hybrid.

My ToRCH:

twist to mode ONE to left: 3 programmable modes and output levels of light you want. (like: 1-100% light, strobe, sos or beacon)
twist TWO to left: same thing. program 3 what you need.

OFF setting: Only momentary works. program what you want it to do, 100% or strobe or level you like. ( i could live with 50% momentary)

Twist one to right: 3 modes again.
twist two to right: battery voltage indicator, and 2 modes either fixed as sos and strobe or programmable (no idea, as by now, i already have all the modes i need by twisting the head to correct mode)

Momentary works in every setting. programmable to be also different in each of the 4 twistymodes if you want.

I really do not want to cycle thru more modes than 2 or 3 to get where i was before or where i want to go.
tap-tap-tap-tap- ok now i got what i wanted.. no wait the previous one was better.. taptaptapta.... No THaNKS!!

this way i have 12 modes all accessible max by click on, twist and max 2 taps.

and yes this way i can hide SOS and Strobe out of my way in normal use or choose it via twistyswitch.
i can choose RampUp or Rampdown per what i think i need. or create my own.

my personal settings would probably be something like this:

Right twist one: 1.lowlow (2%) 2.low (20%) 3.med (50%)
--(momentary 100%)
Right twist two: 1.beacon (30%) 2. sos (50%) 3. strobe (100%)
--(momentary 50%)

OFF mode: Momentary only, as its programmable i would like something like 30 or 50% light on it.

Left twist one: 1.Hi (100%) 2.medium (50%) 3. low (20%)
--(momentary strobe 100%)
Left twist two: 1. beacon 100% 2. battery voltage check (5%). 3. sos 100%
--(momentary 50%)
--------------------------------------

-i know, you really do not need 12 modes, but as its rather easy to switch to each group of 3, why not, you can have them all ready even you dont use them.. they wont be in your way.

i have plenty of other light ideas (dim ones) that i will put out when i get around to it. (even add ons to this one, like battery extensions, changeable bezel for throw etc.)

Tell me what you think of mToRCH. what have i forgot? what it needs?

whod make one for me? hah!

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm..
100 readers..
and none of them has anything to comment on this?
im suprised.
and confused.
would of considered getting atleast one reply by now.
negative thought or postive.. but not one.

so its one of the following i suppose:

my post is perfect as is and no one has anything to add.
(not possible as there would of been many +1 replies or something)

my post is worthless.
(not possible as there would of been negative comments saing so)

my post is so boring that no one cares.
(very probable as everyone so far considered it as not worthy for reply)

my thoughts of the ideal light must be considered good and useful only by me myself and i.

-so i just decided to add a reply to my own post to make myself feel better ;)

*to add something new to the post: if the twisty part would be in the body not in the bezel one could add ledlenser/coast style flood to throw zoom into bezel.

hmm.. scrolling back in time to find the last post with no replies at all.. hmm it was on 24th about a surefire tailcap. (if id know anything about surefires i would of replied to it just for fun. but never even held one. one shouldnt be a troll)

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Hello, feeling alone in the dark:candle:? Only if you had your ideal EDC with you. I kid I kid. Seeing you have a low post count :welcome:

As far as my ideal EDC I am honestly too tired to type a whole essay so I will say that my P2D covers it for now.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want that many different levels, it might be worth looking at one where you can ramp the brightness up and down (Nitecore 10 for example) or something programmable so instead of having 12 presets, you can set and store 1 or more levels that are perfect for you.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me that your UI would be intriguing, but complex to manufacture or programme. Can't think of anything that comes close, but I'm sure you'd be happy with an ARC 6.

Come to think of it so would I, now if only I could find the money!!!:dedhorse:

Welcome to CPF.

Be lucky....

Marduke

Flashaholic
Slip of rubber sleeve over the D10 along with the pocket clip accessory and I think you'd be fairly well set with what you want.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore d10, liteflux 5, jetbeam, are current forerunners in the race to my next light.
(would of bought liteflux already if they stil had r2 leds available.)

now im hoping they would start selling these with warm tint leds soon.
(1st one with such would probably end up in my pocket fast)

arc6= too pricey
gladius= never heard b4. will check it out better soon, but a bit pricey, 200$?

some other lights i think about:
itp = somehow i like the way how to use the light. just seems a bit bulky in diameter. if slimmer, in heartbeat. should get one in my hand at the same time as others and see if which is most confortable to handle and carry.

and new addition while i have been writing this and surfing atsm.
dereelight edc= choose ramp up or down model. 5a cree. clip. hmm sounds good! no programming. no 18650 but definate contender. why havent i heard of this. only dbs.

i know my hopes are high and probably impossible to convince manufacturers to spend that time to make one. as the manufacturing would be difficult and lets face it, firms rather sell you a new product every year with small improvements, not sell a perfect one once. (sell you 4 products for 100 during 4-5years rather than 1 for 200 that you use for 5 years, see reference: mircosoft .grr.)

dont know much/anything about cui and programming chips, but i thought it would be possible to have a chip with 3 memory spots that just logs on to one level after other via the twisty switch. ie it has 3 places for stored modes in each level, but just 4 levels on top of each other. different signal activates different level?

hmm i think this is something like it (or not).. dont talk geek that well..
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2001063614
anyone who knows about this stuff clarify?

twisty head, shouldnt be too tough to make. you have had such twisty switches in ovens and cooking stoves and like for decades.

and still when set up the way you like you know that: L2 has strobes, L1 hi first, R1 dimlit 1st etc. no need for last used memory. if you know that u were last in high and need it again its just either
1:eek:nly momentary press away.
2:click on and 1 twist away.
3:click on and max one or two taps away!

even simplified version of this would be a step to right direction. 1-off-1.
you can see i like the off-position with momentary only, alot. have had several occasions when light was accidentaly clicked on and batteries drained cuz of it.. and once such light melted my chokolates! that flashlight can be found in bottom of a lake now days!

one side of the twisty with the strobes etc and maybe high mode 1st.
other side with low-> (each side programmable 3-6modes)

about fenix pd series, i like fenix, got tk11 instead of pd30 (simple to use and more throw).
cuz twisting the head to get to sos mode etc. its ok, if the sos and strobe modes would be on that side too.. i mean only light modes on the other side and blinkers on other. if it had that i would have one already.

i hate the blinker(s) inbetween while tapping thru modes of light!

and then just add the choice of choose ramp up or down while buying, fenix would have a even better product.

*to add something new: suppose one could make a usb plug to the light so you could program it by computer. -easier than just going thru the programming by button/twisty. (inside the twisty space, just remove batterytube or bezel to gain access to plug) -kinda suprised that this havent caught up yet in this computer age? you plug in you phone/ipod/camera for updates/datatransfer too, why not flashlights?

*to add something new: i like the looks of ra twisty and novatac edc, they have built in cigar hold grip in their shape.

-also im so happy.
glad to see some people DO have some thoughts of my torch after all.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Jetbeam Jet III might work for what you are describing and is around your price range. Some of the versions have clips. It's not twistie but you can program the three modes.

A single AA sized light powered bu a 14500 can also be around the output range but not runtime.

I think someone tried to make a user programmable light before but he ran out of money for a light that very few would buy(compared to the whole market).

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra Clicky? I know it doesn't have a twisty head, but it meets a lot of your other requirements. I can tell from personal experience that it is one of, if not THE best light out there for the money. I have one that I ordered direct from Henry with a warm white emitter and it's the best EDC light I have ever had :)

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra Clicky it is interesting concept. but over my price range. nearly doubling it, atleast 50% too much.

as far as i have understood it has 4 settings. but dont have easy access to strobe and sos modes. they are either in the 4 settings (when in my mind they are IN THE WAY) or need to especially spend time to reprogram them to use and loose my normal light settings.

thats why the extra button/switch to get to those modes is favorable IMO. no need to skip around/over them while using the light but xtremely simple and quick way to access them if needed.

Clicky: shape seems great. ui is smart. just double it with easy access like twisty.

jetbeams. same thing: 3 custom modes is fine.. just need, in minimum, other set of them.

gladious: tactical light, little bit on the fat size diameter. several clicy settings but just only one mode in each. i do like the variable ramp option, and complete lock off is not neccessary in my list. i´d prefer to have access to momentary light in case i need the light fast, without twisting it. and still be able to minimize accidental ON. -do see this as great light for LEOs. as main focus is 100% ON and 100% STROBE.

liteflux: also there is that one thing slowing down on my eagerness to purchase one. the delay of switching. im impatient. push button and something has to happen that moment.

-you can see that rather plainly in my wish list also, ease of use and still instant easy access to everything the light can throw.

i repeat:
Always 4 actions or less to every single mode of 12 preset modes (+5 momentary modes, thats 17 different levels or modes of light)

same lamp would work as
tactical type: hi med lo or instant strobe etc
AND
edc type: lowlow low medium without strobe (still ready set in case of need)

*to add something new: how about 2 separate programmable chips, just choose which you need via a another switch (twisty or sideclicky even?) something like ra clicky type programmable chips. not as quickly accessible and versatile as my concept but step into right direction.

EDIT: hmm never saw ra edc model. only the tac and exc. for 99 its a decent price for those modes.

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my Clicky on high, 3 clicks with a press-hold on last click brings it into tactical strobe. Keep holding the button and it will bring you to SOS. Honestly, I don't think there is a light out there that will meet ALL of your requirements. So unless you can get one of the modders on this board to make something for you, or better yet make it yourself....you are going to have to sacrifice some things on your list. My suggestion to you would be to decide which things are the least important to you, and try to find a light that matches up the closest.

In my opinion that light is the Ra Clicky :nana:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST. 3 modes, forward clicky (on my model) each individually programmable. Depending on what i will need the light for, it gets programmed differently.

Night fishing for example:
1st mode: minimum (less than 10 lumens)
2nd mode: 50%
3rd mode: max (225 lumens)

Cycling
1st mode: slow strobe
2nd mode: 50%
3rd mode: max

General use
1st mode: somewhere below 50%
2nd mode: max
3rd mode: fastest strobe (15hz i think)

Runtime on max (on mine) using a trustfire 2500 mAh protected 18650 cell was about 1hr 45 minutes.

Waterproof

Shock resistant (shoulder height to concrete)

Just feels darn good in your hand.

Optional assault crown.

No clip but can attach a lanyard.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
bump for fun. its sunday. im bored.

i have seen ppl hoping for similar twisty light too. not as elaborate as mine but kinda similiar "turbo side- off -low side" twisty.

now that time has passed i realise that there are plenty other types of UIs and lights i would like to see in production too.

sideclicky is one feature that i miss most of the current lights. it could be for momentary only use. for ease of use not dependant of the grip you have of the light. over or underhand. over= use the rearclicky
under= sideclicky

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ideal edc light would have:
1)18650 slim tube
2)Cree Q3 5A led
3)Focusable optic design like the LedLenser lights
4)Led driver with the following specs
a)Input voltage of 1v -8.4v so I could use a wide variety of batteries.
b)infinitely adjustable output level starting low and going high.
c)no strobe or sos
5) Forward clickie
6)spare battery tubes of different length and internal diameter
to use all the different battery types I own.
Thats about all I can think of for now although I'm sure I'll come up with some more. If someone would manufacture it :hitit: :D :D :D

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want that many different levels, it might be worth looking at one where you can ramp the brightness up and down (Nitecore 10 for example) or something programmable so instead of having 12 presets, you can set and store 1 or more levels that are perfect for you.

OOPS, and it turned out that i already replied in this post, haha. sorry for wasting a space.

Last edited: