Furthering the cause of Flashaholism...

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've finally figured out what this hobby needs to be really, really cool. Flashlight Cheerleaders. Kind of like those girls who are paid to hang around auto shows in halter tops so that guys think girls are into cars. You know the kind, the ones who say things like "Wow... is that an.. engine? My car has one of those too!" Except now they'll be saying things like "Is that a... regulated incan driver? My three biggest turn ons are kittens, world peace, and regulated incan drivers!" Or "I just love a man who has borderline obsessive knowledge of battery sizes and capacity!.." All the mad leet millions on the internet will want to know about the latest and greatest in flashlight technology. Flashaholism will go from misundertood hobby to epedemic sensation overnight. Untill the "hot rod" flashlight act of 2012 is passed. It's all about image baby, if we act like it's the next big thing (or pay women to), it will be.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
I've finally figured out what this hobby needs ..............

I get this feeling that someone is leaving out the bulk of flashlight interest when they call it a hobby. You're certainly not the only one calling it that. I've seen the topic of flashlights addressed as "this hobby" from many. For some, I'm sure, the hobby aspects of the topic is their only interest. But flashlights are more.

Certainly, hobby interest is as welcome here as much as any other interest in flashlights. CPF has embraced nearly every aspect of portable lighting concerns. We've provided forums and sub-forums that actually address the hobby aspects of collecting, modding, building, trading, selling, designing and many other hobby uses regarding flashlights that completely escape my mind at this time.

While there may be some manufacturers of flashlights that primarily target hobby interest, I'd suspect that the bulk of manufacturers target a more serious, practical, and often professional market. Just as the post office or mint may recognize that some make a hobby of their product, and actually attempt to give those hobbyists something, they primarily aim their products toward the applications of their serious user.

What should it matter, you might ask? To a great extent, the serious users, the professional users, and those applying their tools to demanding tasks like diving or caving want and need a board that addresses their serious questions along with their serious observations and commentary. The most dampening activity that can occur to threads such as these is to be sidetracked or trashed by hobby interest. After awhile, you no longer have those issues addressed, because those interested in that aspect tire of being stepped on by hobbyists. To an extent, the recent brand x vs brand y train wrecks suffer from the failure of both the serious application user and the hobbyist user to recognize the different language and interests associated with each. I know I said "failure of both", but I've got a personal feeling the greater fault lies with trying to force the hobby viewpoint into the topic.

CPF should be home to all flashlight interests, whether it's the hobbyists, law enforcement users, firemen, search and rescue personnel, cavers, divers, mountain climbers, outdoor adventurers and others. Indeed we do refer to ourselves as flashaholics, but let's not forget that flashaholics is really a term coined to refer to how prolific you are in posting messages on CPF. Like other boards, ranking titles are applied as your post counts rise. Like other boards, we developed terms for those rankings, including "flashaholic". It does not indicate a true disease (well... maybe it does), nor does it measure how much of your interest in lights is hobby.

I guess that's all I have to say about that, other than to ask the hobbyists to recognize that our topic is not hobby by practical application. Please, don't try to force hobby into every discussion. The flashlight industry is essentially not a hobby industry.

Empath

Flashaholic
I wasn't complaining at you, Ryan. It was just an opportunity to say something I was wanting to say. Go ahead and hire your cheerleaders.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't complaining at you, Ryan. It was just an opportunity to say something I was wanting to say. Go ahead and hire your cheerleaders.

LOL, I will Empath, one of these days, I will...:laughing:

You are right though, I'll try not to refer to it is a hobby anymore. I guess I called it a hobby because that's what it's become to me. The bar I worked for went under last week. But I suppose most of my lights lost their practicality when runtimes started dropping below 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the hobby of flashlights borders more around the modification of the lights and productions of them rather than the lights themselves.

For me knives and flashlights represent machined and possibly handmade functional tools. I appreciate fine craftsmanship and those are the things I buy. I don't own a lot of knives, nor do I own a lot of flashlights. There are lots I like because they incorporate form FUNCTION and a high degree of engineering and machining.

Just the things I like.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can just imagine the conversations at the next SHOT show when the cheerleaders show up:

A flashaholic checks out the cheerleaders, gets the attention of a fat guy nearby and says to him, "Check out the headlights on those hot girls." The fat guy looks and responds by saying, "So what, mine are better."

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can just imagine the conversations at the next SHOT show when the cheerleaders show up:

A flashaholic checks out the cheerleaders, gets the attention of a fat guy nearby and says to him, "Check out the headlights on those hot girls." The fat guy looks and responds by saying, "So what, mine are better."

Something should never be read, or heard.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for that (not).

I'll have an image of Meatloaf in Fight Club all evening now.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one to find the whole concept of cheerleaders/"booth babes" pathetic?
If I go to a car show I want to see cars, and if I go to a videogame show I want to see videogames. If I want to see hot chicks I go to a strip club (where I'll at least see actual nakedness).

I do find girls who are into cars or into videogames intriguing, but most of the girls who hang around shows know absolutely nothing about whatever's being shown. I'm pretty sure most of them don't have a very high opinion of the people who frequent the shows themselves, either.

I don't like it when companies think of people as horny idiots that need to be baited with cleavagey boobs in order to lift their asses off the sofa and go to shows. It also makes me think that the shows in question obviously aren't showing anything interesting enough, if people won't go see them once you remove the booth babes from the equation.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one to find the whole concept of cheerleaders/"booth babes" pathetic?
If I go to a car show I want to see cars, and if I go to a videogame show I want to see videogames. If I want to see hot chicks I go to a strip club (where I'll at least see actual nakedness).

I do find girls who are into cars or into videogames intriguing, but most of the girls who hang around shows know absolutely nothing about whatever's being shown. I'm pretty sure most of them don't have a very high opinion of the people who frequent the shows themselves, either.

I don't like it when companies think of people as horny idiots that need to be baited with cleavagey boobs in order to lift their asses off the sofa and go to shows. It also makes me think that the shows in question obviously aren't showing anything interesting enough, if people won't go see them once you remove the booth babes from the equation.

I completely agree. I started this thread mostly to be a dufus, but also to highlight the absurdity superficiality and shamelessness of this particular tactic.

I am actually quite glad we do not see this sort of marketing in this sector, and hopefully we never will. I like that the features and functionality of the product are emphasized rather than "Hey you, young impressionable adolescent, go buy this light cuz it'll get you mad womenz" "or everybody has this light, you don't want to be the only one who doesn't. Do you?"

Unfortunately as fallacious as this tactic is we've seen it work before. The aftermarket automotive industry for sure. Luckily the older end of the segment like hot rods and muscle cars and *real* sports cars have avioded some of this. I'm even beginning to see it in RC (Xrc magazine for example, or the girls half heartedly holding up the champion's muddy truggy at the end of a big race)

I used to love some parts of the import segment wich has been largely affected by this foolishness. The WRX the Evolution, great cars, and not to say that there aren't good comunities centered around both. I owned a WRX myself at one point and even posted regularly and attended Nasioc meets. But it seemed every time I pulled up to a gas station there was always some kid asking why there was no blow off valve, why didn't I have a front mount IC, or why the rims aren't bigger.:confused: No amount of explaining would get the point across that although those things look and sound cool they do not always make for a quicker car. You'd just get back "but it's so cool" The guy I sold the car to wanted to put a BOV on it, I could have killed him.:scowl: But I needed the money, so no killing.:devil:

If that sort of thing ever happens with this industry, I'm done. I'll just move to a tent in the woods with my rifle.

EDIT: LOL, speaking of irony no sooner did I post when this appeared on my TV.

Last edited:

balou

Enlightened
I am actually quite glad we do not see this sort of marketing in this sector, and hopefully we never will. I like that the features and functionality of the product are emphasized rather than "Hey you, young impressionable adolescent, go buy this light cuz it'll get you mad womenz" "or everybody has this light, you don't want to be the only one who doesn't. Do you?"

Well.... ever seen ads about server housing/colocation? I definitely won't rent a server from company who's best argument for them is the cup size of the model in the ad :thumbsdow:rolleyes: