Will P2Dq5 burn out on 3.7v? Whats the brightest RCR123 light?

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
For EDC on a keychain, whats the brightest SINGLE RCR123 light? I have a P2D q5. I havent tried it yet, but Ive read it will go into direct drive. I dont care about losing the modes, but I dont want to burn it out. Will it burn out? Should I get something else?

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
I have been using an AW RCR123 in my P2D for about a month and it has not burnt out!:grin2: Thats just my experience. I am wondering if eventually I will wear out the circuitry... hope not I love this little light!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It should be fine with a single Li-ion battery. As you know you will loose the lower modes but the light should be fine. I don't recall reading anything about a PD20 or P2D burning out due to a Li-ion battery.

rockz4532

Enlightened
It is a risk. Some work and some dont. You may try it, but only under the consequence that it may fry the driver. If you dont mind losing your P2D, then go for it, but it is a 50:50 chance.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the P2DQ5 and i use both CR and RCR, the brightness is about the same but with rechargeables you lose the modes and get a shorter runtime.

This one is pretty much the brightnest CR123 light, some other may throw better but not have more overall output.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC on a keychain, whats the brightest SINGLE RCR123 light? I have a P2D q5. I havent tried it yet, but Ive read it will go into direct drive. I dont care about losing the modes, but I dont want to burn it out. Will it burn out? Should I get something else?
Get an EagleTac P10C or T10C, they run extremely well (with perfect regulation and impressive brightness) on a single RCR123 3.7v cell.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
EagleTac's are definitely the brightest, but I wouldn't recommend the T10C for key chain use. It's way too big in my opinion, and overall a somewhat awkward shape. Fenix is the way to go for a compact CR123 light, but the Eagletac is brighter.

polkiuj

Enlightened
This is what Fenix says:
Actually, we don't suggest you use 3.6/3.7 v battery in the LD10, though some customers has used, and you can use 1.5v or 3.0v battery in this model, you can buy the brand battery, such as the Sony, Sanyo, and so on.

This is what Mary@4Seven says:
Please do NOT use any battery over 3v with the PD20 or LD20, as this
will fry the circuitry in the head. The only light/head in this series
that can take a higher voltage than 3v is the PD30, which takes 2
rechargeable CR123A 3.7v batteries, and uses a different regulation
circuit in the head.

=)