a light in the woods.. and hello

foxxkat

Newly Enlightened
hi Folks,
nice reading in here and learning from the community.

i'm a total noob in lights and only took this up abt a week ago. so far i've gotten a pelican tracker, fenix PD30 & PD20 (with 1xAA and 2xAA adapter just for fun), and a maglite mini (2xAA type). would like to hear your light recommendation suitable for "a leisure walk in the woods".. with some small dirt road sometimes.

i suppose a thrower is not suitable. so i'm keen on a "balanced" light or maybe a wall of light. some lights that i have in mind: TK11, TK40, Jetbeam M1X, or the mysterious UB3 Invictus, if it ever see daylight. i was considering Tiablo A10 but the talk on its drivers has put some damper on it.

I'm also planning to get a E2DL (for the fun of it) but i think that's not so suitable for the above purpose?

one more thing, i keep reading about EDC and LEO.. i think i've figured out what EDS is but can't find anything on LEO lights. What it is? I'm a Virgo by the way.

hear your recommendations soon :)

cheers

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think the TK11, TK40, or M1X are "wall of light" type lighting.

The Fenix lights you bought should be pretty good walk in the woods type light.

LEO, Law Enforcement something, I think it's officer. It's not a light brand. EDC is Every Day Carry as you probably found out.

:welcome:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Foxxkat and a warm :welcome:

When I joined this forum and saw people communicating with acronyms I found a great help here. So whenever you meet a Law Enforcement Officer walking in the woods you don't shoot him. ;)

My suggestion for you is Surefire E2L with an F04 diffuser. :)

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

LEO is probably Law Enforcement Officer (by the time I finished typing this post this was already answered several times...)

For a walk in the woods I would take a headlamp, a small handheld and a thrower. If you need to look at something farther away the thrower is handy, but the headlamp or small handheld will do for most of the trip.

Lots of choices available. If travelling light I would probably choose a Petzl MYO RXP or a Zebralight headlamp, one of the Fenix's, and the Tiablo A9 or perhaps the Wolf Eyes Sniper MCE.

If flashlights were more the focus of the hike,
I like the P7's these days, so perhaps a M@g P7 d2Flex conversion or an MTE 5 mode P7 would sneak in there instead of the Fenix. And for a M@g type thrower a Malkoff Devices with an Aspheic lens would be good. Of course it would be hard to leave my M@g85 behind.

If I was going to take just one light, it would probably be the WE Sniper MCE. OF course you always need something small in your pocket for backup, like a Photon Proton Pro or Fenix L0D.

It would be hard to choose. I would probably need a backpack for flashlights...

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
...censored...censored...censored...I'm also planning to get a E2DL (for the fun of it) but i think that's not so suitable for the above purpose?

one more thing, i keep reading about EDC and LEO.. i think i've figured out what EDS is but can't find anything on LEO lights. What it is? I'm a Virgo by the way....censored...censored...censored...

E2DL is suitable for most stuff since it's 2-mode. And yes, it's fun to walk with this in the wood, just check out the ray of beam.
EDC = Everyday Carry
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Depends a bit on the type of woods and other environmental conditions. If you aren't in dense foliage and are not worried about tripping over roots and rocks, or running into poisonous snakes, etc., then a floodier light source like a headlamp is good.

But I think you are always well advised to have a light on you with at least a decent amount of throw (longer distances and thicker bush are not so amenable to headlamp use). I don't think a strong thrower is really necessary - just any of the decent lights that are commonly around these days (e.g. Fenix TK-series, JetBeam Jet-II/III-series, Olight M20, etc, etc.).

The E2DL is probably a good start to find out what you need/like in your situation. I would take it out for a few spins and see which way you want to go from there (and it may do you just fine in the end).

... but can't find anything on LEO lights. What it is? I'm a Virgo by the way.
Good one, by the way. ;)

Oh, and:welcome:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a walk in the woods I would take an AK47, wooden stake, pitchfork, A real "Torch" (flaming wick) and oh yeah couple flashlights like the Malkoff M60 in a Solarforce l2 host with an extension tube to have long run time off 2 X17500 batteries or 3 X CR123s.

And just to be sure, a chain saw!. :wave:

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
for a walk in the woods I would take an AK47, wooden stake, pitchfork, A real "Torch" (flaming wick) and oh yeah couple flashlights like the Malkoff M60 in a Solarforce l2 host with an extension tube to have long run time off 2 X17500 batteries or 3 X CR123s.

And just to be sure, a chain saw!. :wave:

Great choices!:devil:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Goes without saying I spend some time walking in the woods. For most of that a good headlamp works best. Sometimes I use a flashlight too for a backup or spot light.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
I find throwers to be especially suitable in the woods. If something is coming to get me, I want to have the farthest head start I can.

That being said, if the thing chasing me is faster than I am and I don't have any weapons except for a flashlight, I would want it to be the 200 Lumen Husky from Home Depot ($25) It's ugly enough to scare most creatures away, and if they aren't scared away it will only take one or two swings with it to give you the time you need to escape. Just make sure you have a backup light (Preferably an E1B) since the build quality is suspect in the Husky.

In fact, you should be bristling with lights whenever you venture into the woods...

-Hitec-

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a nice walk in the woods light, I would spend some time researching the Fenix TK20. It takes AA batteries, has a nice tint good for the outdoors, can throw when needed, and has a good discharge curve. Search for it here on the forums and you'll find plenty of information.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a nice walk in the woods light, I would spend some time researching the Fenix TK20. It takes AA batteries, has a nice tint good for the outdoors, can throw when needed, and has a good discharge curve. Search for it here on the forums and you'll find plenty of information.

That's my main light in the woods. In my pocket I have my good old P2D-CE but a PD20 will do eben better. I also bought a headlamp, got it only this week, so it has not yet been tested. In the backpack I have a Surefire L4 and an LD20 (with OP) that replaces the L2D-Q5. Lots of low-selfdischarge rechargeable AA and CR123A are also present. If I suspect it to get tough, I also take either the TK10 or the TK11 (or something similar from EagleTac or Olight).

If I stay in the forest until it gets dark, I need some more lights of course... lovecpf

No joke : Have a look on the TK20. In a dark forest, that's what you need. In the halfdark it may seem weak, but you have some other lights then.

We don't need a chainsaw in Luxembourg, only a white flag and a helmet besides all the lightning in hunting time, the forests are full of armed alcoholics then and though they are used the whole year to a high alcohol level in their blood, they only take out their rifles once or twice a year...