Newbie & overwhelmed

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
I decided I could really use a couple flashlights last night and started a search on google. Which led me to here...where I read reviews for about 2 hours..
This place is crazy technical......and I love it
I'm more confused than when I first came, but look forward to getting a couple serious flashlights soon.
The Fenix TK40 looks good to have to patrol around my yard, and I am researching further into Ra Twisty & Nitecore Extreme for more tactical uses.
This place is awesome!:twothumbs

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

This place is sure full of information and can be difficult for new comers to pick up ... especially with all the lingos and terminology. Start with the few places that Gunner recommended. Unless you have a lot of money to spare, you should stick around and read up on the lights you're interested and also find out what else is available. What you like now might not be something you like after spending countless hours reading in this forum.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, kaptein america.

When you've been here a while and acquired a few serious lights, you'll find yourself wanting a bigger yard to patrol around, lol.

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
How big is your yard and what do you use now(The TK40 might be overkill)?

I have 2 acres butted up against 60 acres. I'm not saying I'm paranoid, but I do like to see what is making noises out there sometimes. I also do lots of hiking/camping.
I do not even know the names of the basic lights I currently have.
I'll check out you recommendations on where to start.
Basically I'm looking for a security type flashlight & one for hiking...could be the same..we will see

THANKS

1wrx7

Enlightened
:welcome:... and hold on to your wallet:naughty: It becomes real natural to use these icons:takeit::paypal:

seaside

Enlightened
I have 2 acres butted up against 60 acres. I'm not saying I'm paranoid, but I do like to see what is making noises out there sometimes. I also do lots of hiking/camping.
I do not even know the names of the basic lights I currently have.
I'll check out you recommendations on where to start.
Basically I'm looking for a security type flashlight & one for hiking...could be the same..we will see

THANKS

I hope that making noise is not a bear or a crazy rockn'roll kid.
They are hard to kill. LOL.
Looks like you need a bright wide-angle beam for bike riding, and a thrower for yard patrol. I am sure you can find something for you here in CPF.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I salute you, Kaptein, for coming to CPF. Yes, this can be a confusing place. I urge you to not overlook the goodness of a nice multi-level light with a very low level. As most of us here have found, a good low will end up being your most used level, and it saves the go juice. Also, if a light's not pocketable you'll end up not having it when you need it.

Good luck in your quest.

Geoff

ugrey

Enlightened
You are DOOMED. Have fun.:) With all those acres, just skip all the smaller, lesser lights. Get a SureFire M6. It will save you money in the long run. You are going to end up with an M6 anyway. Go start reading up on them now. Yeah, you really do need one. That is my professional opinion.

Last edited:

Lurchensteen

Newly Enlightened
Well just so you know I am new as well, but I have had a lot of help. Someone told me on my fist post, "if you are have trouble deciding between two light, buy both." Anyway :welcome:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! :welcome: Great place we have here, be sure to stick around for awhile as there is lots of good stuff to read. Any questions you may have about flashlights WILL get answered around here, we are all ready and willing to help.

Oh and BTW, I'll second getting yourself a Surefire M6 :devil: Thats a lot of ground to cover with lumens, might as well go big as it may save you money in the long run. The M6 is one fine piece of work.

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
I'm convinced I am the longest lurker on this forum without buy a flashlight.
7 months and still have not made up mind.
I've scoured these forums and have concluded what has been communicated to me all along.
There is no One light that will serve all my needs. It may take at least 4:crazy:
Maybe September I'll burst that flashlightless streak.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I'm convinced I am the longest lurker on this forum without buy a flashlight.
7 months and still have not made up mind.
I've scoured these forums and have concluded what has been communicated to me all along.
There is no One light that will serve all my needs. It may take at least 4:crazy:
Maybe September I'll burst that flashlightless streak.
You have far more self-restraint than I. Wow.

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
I've been experiencing dreams of flashlights I been on the board so much. I think it was an Olight Intimidator I pulled out of my trucks door. :sick: Didn't know the sickness came on without a purchase.
Maybe I'll start with a DEFT:grin2:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided I could really use a couple flashlights last night and started a search on google. Which led me to here...where I read reviews for about 2 hours..
This place is crazy technical......and I love it
I'm more confused than when I first came, but look forward to getting a couple serious flashlights soon.
The Fenix TK40 looks good to have to patrol around my yard, and I am researching further into Ra Twisty & Nitecore Extreme for more tactical uses.
This place is awesome!:twothumbs

The Twisty is a lousy tactical light, since there's no way to reliably use it one-handed while maintaining the ability to do violence. On the other hand, it's an excellent utility light with most of the beneficial qualities of a tactical light, and few of the drawbacks. It's close cousin, the Ra Clicky, is a very nice little tactical light, however - as is the Nitecore.

That said, I love my twisty, and there's very little that's simpler, more rugged, and more powerful... that will still fit in the change pocket of most jeans.

Welcome to the forums, Kaptein.

325addict

Enlightened
As Ugrey already stated: get yourself an M6, and save some money to buy all the mod-stuff you really need to make the M6 the all-singing, all-shining light it deserves to be :whistle:

You need:

1. one SureFire M6
2. either the 2X 18650 holder by Mdocod, or the 3X17670 holder by FiveMega
3. an MN bi-pin holder by FiveMega
4. WA-lamps: either the 1111 or the 1274 when using the 2X 18650 holder
and the 1166 or the 1185 (KILLER!) when using the 3X 17670 holder
5. Batteries: go straight for the best: AW!
You need four pieces of the 18650-2600mAh when using 2X 18650 holder
You need six pieces of the 17670 1600mAh when using 3X 17670 holder.
6. Charger: get yourself the best charger right away, as you will sooner or later get one anyway: the Pila IBC charger.

After this, you spent a lot of money, but you'll see: it is well worth it :thumbsup:

Timmo.

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
As Ugrey already stated: get yourself an M6, and save some money to buy all the mod-stuff you really need to make the M6 the all-singing, all-shining light it deserves to be :whistle:

You need:

1. one SureFire M6
2. either the 2X 18650 holder by Mdocod, or the 3X17670 holder by FiveMega
3. an MN bi-pin holder by FiveMega
4. WA-lamps: either the 1111 or the 1274 when using the 2X 18650 holder
and the 1166 or the 1185 (KILLER!) when using the 3X 17670 holder
5. Batteries: go straight for the best: AW!
You need four pieces of the 18650-2600mAh when using 2X 18650 holder
You need six pieces of the 17670 1600mAh when using 3X 17670 holder.
6. Charger: get yourself the best charger right away, as you will sooner or later get one anyway: the Pila IBC charger.

After this, you spent a lot of money, but you'll see: it is well worth it :thumbsup:

Timmo.

And I'd have to put this together? I don't even know what a MN pin is. I'm guessing a $800-1000 investment:eek: