Any problems taking flashlights on planes?

Drjones

Enlightened
Hi all. This has probably been covered before, and I apologise, but I want accurate responses.

I am probably going to Greece soon.

I plan on taking a Surefire C2 and Inova X5T carried on my person.

Will there be a problem getting those large metallic objects on the plane? Or will security confiscate them?

Thank you much!!!

Martina

Newly Enlightened
If you take them as what is called "carry on", then I guess you'll have problems. They will say to go and do "check in". I had nail scissors with me and they said that I could kill someone with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)) or you can try to prove that you cannot or aren't gonna kill someone with your Surefire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you do "check in", then there is a big (or small) possibility that they'll lose your baggage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It happens quite often if you have to change many planes. Now you decide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I'd say is, have the absolute minimal on you. They won't confiscate your flashlights, but they'll probably give you a hard time about it. I'm sure in the end, they'll let you go with your C2 and X5T, but just make sure you don't have anything like a TID on it...

I got pulled aside for my E2e once, and all they did was make me turn on the light, perform a bulb replacement and emptied out the batteries... Inconvenience, but that's basically it...

Martina

Newly Enlightened
2 weeks ago I had to take off my shoes so many times, that I decided to travel barefoot next time! Interesting when they will require to take off bras. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

holtz58

Newly Enlightened
I have an X5 in my carry on every time I travel. Nobody has
even asked me what it was. But that is only on domestic travel. I have never taken one through customs. Good Luck

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned a little about this recently. Basically, what you check in is less important to the security screen you meet than what you carry on except in the case of rediculous things.

On my key chain, ARC AAA they looked at it, didn't turn it on, put it back in the bowl and ran it through.

In the carry on, MadMax with liths in a Min!-Mag. No problem.

In the check in luggage, LGI. No problem.

I did not wear a bra.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:

I did not wear a bra.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif LOL!!!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just took an Arc AAA and a Mini Mag with Opalec Newbeam and Kroll clickie to Mexico. Did not raise and eyebrow either way. That was on me, my bag had a Boss with a home made three white LED bulb.

My Eternalight's get them confused. Once the security guy went "what is..... that?" I flicked it on and he went "cool".

The Mag doesn't raise any concerns as it is a veritible Icon and the Arc is carried on a neckchain and I think they might think it is a vial of nitro tablets or a medical alert item of some sort.

Misdirection is the key.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took my McLux on the plane and nobody said a word... the one time I WANT them to ask to see something, they ignore it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

"check out how bright it is, and look, it glows when you turn it off..."
"that's nice, sir. Please step forward and reclaim your bags. Next!"
"but it's really cool... don't cha wanna see? anybody?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
binky -

I hope I didn't run Martina off with that remark. It's so rare that female flashaholics stand up and asked to be counted then stay more than a month, I would be displeased if I ran one off.

I'm hoping Mar can take a light-hearted joke. Maybe Lara will step in and stomp on us when we ain't quite right. I know I don't want Sasha on my case.

Last year I gave a fellow programmer a rice seed, incan burning 2xAAA Mag-l!te as a joke because I enjoyed her making fun of my flashlight geekishness. Two weeks ago I was messing with her 'cause she had a really cool looking OD bag. She said, "Plus...it has a special place for a flashlight." Then she deployed and shined the fully loaded AAA Mini right at me. I was so impressed...a smart chick carrying a flashlight with new batts. Now I want to give her a dat2zip BB in a AA Mag and not tell her what it cost.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ I should point out that I used to fly a LOT, but haven't flow at all lately, most notably, since Sept. 11. In the old days I'd carry on a 3" lockback (yes, it was legal to do so), two full bags, etc. This time I went REALLY light to ease security hassles. ]

I just took a flight and took an E1+KL1, Infinity Ultra and UK2L in my carry on. I was a little nervious that they would wonder why I needed *three* lights. No hassles about the lights.

However, on the way back, they really searched my bag (no problems on the outgoing flight). One thing they commented on was my space blanket. I guess it looks odd on x-ray and the lady didn't know what it was. Her co-worker knew what it was and told her it was ok. Also, she had misgivings about my SerberTech M3. Her co-worker told her it was too small (to worry about).

I was wanded both ways and I will point out that the guys were polite and professional which was nice.

Here is the offending multitool:
s1800.jpg

-john

BrightLight

Newly Enlightened
Lots of multitools have knife blades that aren't allowed these days (if they notice). That's probably why they paid attention to one.

I've flown with an E1e or E2e in a laptop case dozens of times, and only once did they even ask about it. ("It's a flashlight", show beam, "OK".)

Martina

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
I'm hoping Mar can take a light-hearted joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure I can. I loved your JK. Was laughing for an hour or so... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"Plus...it has a special place for a flashlight." Then she deployed and shined the fully loaded AAA Mini right at me. I was so impressed...a smart chick carrying a flashlight with new batts. Now I want to give her a dat2zip BB in a AA Mag and not tell her what it cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOOOL cheking her smartness?? tell us what happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mednanu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
martina said:
2 weeks ago I had to take off my shoes so many times, that I decided to travel barefoot next time! Interesting when they will require <font color="green"> to take off bras</font>. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmm......I think that will be just about the same time that I decide to buy a whole lot more plane tickets..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Asia, they care more if you have a fever than if you carry a flashlight or even a knife:-(

Alan

Viper

Newly Enlightened
I frequently carry a 6P with a loaded spares carrier, and I never even have a problem.