Comments on the FAQ (post suggestions, etc here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please post your comments here as the FAQ is a locked thread.

Please note the FAQ is a living document and will be updated from time to time.

Peter

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
A photo showing the Arc LS & AAA next to some well known objects (coins, batteries, cigarette packet etc.) would give newbies a good idea of size.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! Loads of very useful info there.

One thing I did notice - you`re linking to the "old" Torch Reviews Site address. The best way to get there today (and since I`m paying extra for it, I`d prefer everyone to use it!) is:

http://torchreviews.net

The old way does still work though, for now anyway. Ideally just to this address since this is where my stats counter thingy is and it`s nice to keep track of how many folks are visiting and from where, but for the reader`s convenience, deeper links are OK now and then.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great FAQ, Peter. There is very little left unanswered.

Just today I ordered my first LS, high dome with a AA tube, from your German dealer, togheter with another Arc AAA LE, that I like a lot. Is the beam of the Arc-LS WHITER than my KL1?
Regards

Anthony

NCBirdHunter

Newly Enlightened
Peter,

First Class (as always!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I do have one question: is it possible to determine which specific 'version' of the AAA one has by looking anywhere on it?

Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

OzMan

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">A photo showing the Arc LS & AAA next to some well known objects (coins, batteries, cigarette packet etc.) would give newbies a good idea of size.</font>

I thought about trying this but I don`t smoke and international viewers may not know the sizes of UK coins. But this one shows the two side by side to show relative size:

arclshpandaaale2.jpg

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice pic Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif That camera was worth every penny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
faq is very good!

some nitpicks:
i notice that the ls says 30day satisfaction guarentee, while the aaa does not. i had always believed the aaa did. am i incorrect, or are you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you mention that the aaa does not use "expensive lithium batteries"...while that is a good selling point for the aaa, it might make a newbie have second thoughts about feeding the ls "expensive lithium batteries" it might be better to put "expensive button cells" or something of that nature.

you might consider adding that orings and the foam things are available for free if you send a sase.

i'm also dissapointed to see that you still have the aaa rated to only 50foot depths, when all evidence i have ever seen indicates that it could live quite happily 2000leagues under the sea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shoot Chris M. an AAA duracell place by the side will
be an international standard size but it will spoil the picture.

First of all, I was stocked to see that my nichia is putting out light at 20,000MCD. Great! that's way
too bright. No wonder most of my 12,000MCD won't compare with it. I kept wondering if I bought
some cheapo leds. Driving the LED at 45ma instead of 30ma is an increase of 50% current if I am
not wrong. Will that also half the life of the LED, if not more, I am happy.

4. Clean battery contacts with a pencil "erasor of" they get fouled to improve light output.

Some typo error here. Should be "eraser if".

I particularly like the MOD sections /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif unfortunately there isn't any yet.
Will be interesting to see what pops out.

400 Hybrid – Bridge between version 1 and version 2. Had new circuit of version 2 in housing of version 1.
Circuit set for 330mA (mistakenly reported as 400mA)
500 hybrid – Same as 400 but circuit is set for ~400mA (mistakenly reported as 500mA)

I don't think it's necessary to address the mislabled items since it is announced before. I am
sure most of us know it now. A 330 Hybrid and 400 Hybrid is should be sufficient for anyone who's
reading the faq as it is the latest faq on ARC lines.

A wealth of information there. Looks like a summary of the whole ARC thread.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Comments on the FAQ (post suggestions, etc her

nukiez said: "I don't think it's necessary to address the mislabled items since it is announced before."

I believe the FAQ should stand on its own and answer all important questions a newbie or an old hand might have. There are posts in the archives that compare the performance of the "400 hybrid" with recent models, but lead one to believe that the drive levels were the same.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. I didn't fully understand the value of an LSH-P until Sean posted a pic of its beam next to a MiniMag or something Joe Average would know. Could that be a standard pic if there's no legal problemo with doing that? A whole lot more folks are probably in the same boat.

I know you do have a link to beam shotz at other sites, but it's kind of a dig for a newbie to find one of those pics, which might be the first thing they wonder about.

Sean has posted a few great comparos. Here's one thread with some from him & others. Shows an LS vs a regular hardware-store 2D Eveready light. That's sort of what I'd think would be great on your site. And you wouldn't have to mention the 'competing' manufacturer of course.

2. The Luxeon rating scheme is perplexing. Could you please post something like that here and on your company website? And maybe with pics showing how far from purple or green the "white" is for the 1W & 5W emitters? I'm thinking of at least the stuff posted here. If that had at least tint beamshots, wow, that'd really be great! (and probably a lot of work too. I know) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[edit] I see you already have the bin codes linked on the FAQ in this forum. (and it's the same link as above) Still would be good to have at arcflashlight.com too, but sorry I didn't notice that it was already here.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

<font color="800080">an AAA duracell place by the side will
be an international standard size but it will spoil the picture.
</font>

Give me until after dark when I`ll have more control over the scene lighting and I`ll see what I can come up with....

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
x-ray said:
A photo showing the Arc LS & AAA next to some well known objects (coins, batteries, cigarette packet etc.) would give newbies a good idea of size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if there was a 123 & AAA battery in the above photo it would be perfect. The batteries would give size perspective.

Tomas

Banned

Hmmmmmm ... I wonder if anyone has an old "Burgess" AAA or D cell or some other brand that no longer exists?

Would make a nice size comparo ...

(I have a very early RS AAA cell - from back when they were orange - that looks perfect, but RS, sadly, still exists.)

Another option would be the "generic" plain green or blue rechargables ...

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why not just use the batteries that are supplied with each light ?

The AAA is supplied with a Duracell battery and (I Think) the LS comes with a Lisun CR123.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks binky!

Here is a shot for size reference to the M*G 2AA:
fc1a6528.jpg

fc18ce0b.jpg

Arc AAA on the left, Arc LS in the middle and you know what on the right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a great shot for sizing!!!

Hey Sean, do you remember the thread with the beamshot of that minimag vs one of the LS's (I think it was an LS1)? It was one where I thought at one point FC had posted it, but it was yours and there was a chuckle about "shame on you" for owning the MM.

The minimag beam looked pink/red and just an awful beam, next to the smooth, brighter beam of the LS.

I searched using all sorts of combo's of ls & arc & mag etc, but couldn't locate it. (I looked here, and also tried at your site but Yahoo has hosed it at least for the moment)

That's the sort of beamshot that'd be really helpful on Arc's page too!

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Peter,

Nice FAQ thread.

There has been questions that come up from time to time about the serial numbers. It seems that some new LSH-P's have lower serial numbers than ones purchased 6 months ago. I have not heard a good explanation of this, although I have not looked very hard. Perhaps you could offer a comment on the FAQ thread.

Tom

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
binky said:
That's a great shot for sizing!!!

Hey Sean, do you remember the thread with the beamshot of that minimag vs one of the LS's (I think it was an LS1)? It was one where I thought at one point FC had posted it, but it was yours and there was a chuckle about "shame on you" for owning the MM.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean this thread?

fc18ce0a.jpg

fc18ce08.jpg

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Suggestion for FAQ

Peter,

Here is your Essay on Regulation .

I thought you might want to use some of this for the Regulation part of your FAQ. It really is a good explanation which is why I bookmarked it. It was a little hard to track down with the BB change and all.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.