Fitorch        

Thread: Verizon DSL Hardware/Software Shipped

Flashaholic*

Default Verizon DSL Hardware/Software Shipped

Just got notified that the "stuff" that I need to install for Verizon DSL is on it's way to me.

- Step 1 Filter Box Non-Branded
    - Westell Combo USB/Ethernet DSL A99-211015-00
    - Poster Vol W/5.0 CD
    - TOS Guide West 5.0

Assuming Verizon performs their magic on my line, can I anticipate smooth sailing?

Marty

Default Re: Verizon DSL Hardware/Software Shipped

That assumption about Verizon performing their magic by the promised date is a big "if". In my case, Verizon performed their magic a couple of days late, but the installation kit was sent to the wrong address so I had to wait an extra week after that for another kit to be sent to me.

How the DSL is set-up varies by region and if you're a former GTE customer or Bell Atlantic customer. In my case it is a full-time connnection, not PPPoE. I just had to install the software first, plug in the modem, connect the modem to my already installed Ethernet card (I bought a hardware router a couple of weeks later), and install the DSL filters enclosed on all my extension phones devices. I had to set up a new email account after all this, but there was a wizard in the installation software to help with that. The set-up part to date is my most favorable experience with Verizon DSL. Good luck with your installation, and I hope it goes without incident because I don't wish the Verizon customer service experience on anybody on this forum.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    BF Hammer said:
    I hope it goes without incident because I don't wish the Verizon customer service experience on anybody on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

self installed at my old residence, problem. move here, they screw up my acct, problem. i have no faith any "self install" will be smooth.

you think verizon is bad? you've obviously never met southwestern bell. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

How do I install filters on the extension phones when they have combined 2 line jacks (I don't know the correct nomenclature)? One is a wall phone in the kitchen.

Marty

See if this is any help. Telephone Filters
    This is a better one. k-com

Flashaholic*

snuffy

I can see using a splitter in the bedroom to use a filter but the wall phone in the kitchen has the standard wall phone jack that can't be split (the phone won't fit on the jack with it).

What happens if I don't use filters on all of the extensions? Are they precautionary or really needed?

Marty

Marty,
    K-Com makes a toroid filter that you wire in behind the wall plate. It's easy to do and the two I installed work great.
    Jim

I think we're talking about two different types of filters here. I was refering to RFI filters, sorry for the mix up.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

My DSL is up and running (days earlier than promised) and I'm never going back to dial-up.

The speed is fantastic and the installation was flawless. Verizon covered all of the bases.

The funny thing is, when I called AOL to cancel, they didn't pressure me to stay but they gave me a months free service so I can still pickup my email.

I'm impressed!

Marty