ITP C9 owners speak up

travelinman

Enlightened
Hi...I've searched the forum and found plenty to recommend the ITP C9 but haven't heard of anybody who is an owner and uses it as a daily pocket light. Is it pocket friendly? (no cracks about the shape plz :laughing: )

I'm concerned about the cooling fins and how sharp they are. I'm almost ready to take the plunge on my first "real" light, (other than some adapted mags I've got) and this seems like a great light especially with a C7 & 8 body along with it.

I don't want to carry it around for a few months and find it's destroying my jeans with the fins.

Niconical

Enlightened
The fins don't feel sharp, and the end of the head and tail are rounded slightly, meaning it can't really dig into anything even if you try.

Larger than the average single CR123A flashlight, and easy to grip.

travelinman

Enlightened
Tnx Niconical...I'm glad they don't feel sharp. I know it's a bit bigger, and with my big hands that is a good thing. I've a little AAA light and it gets lost in my mitt and I've dropped it a couple of times because of that.

I was just worried about the fins in the pics of the C9 and that they would chew up a pocket.

travelinman

Enlightened
OK Nanotech...I'm familiar with the UCL lens and where to get it, but not the McRXre 17mm reflector. Could you briefly "enlighten" me and give me a clue on where to get info on it?
tnx

edit...
OK, on a hunch I tried searching for McRae 17 mm reflector and came up with a patent for a "rectangular beam reflector", but no hits on anything else that might be applicable to LED flashlights.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have edc'ed mine for over 3 months now and yes it is very pocket friendly......its partnered with a D10 in seperate holsters on my hip. I also bought at the time the C7 tube and switch and also the C8 2AA tube, just wanted a little more battery configs. Now as for the lens im still trying to figure out how to take the head off........

Last edited:

travelinman

Enlightened
Tnx Alfreddajero....I just ordered my C9 from Bryan, great guy. I'm afraid I pestered him terribly for the last week or so. It's my first "real" flashlight, not counting modded mags of course. I too, got the C7 body and regular tailcap for the flexibility. I intend to find a plastic "cap" from some pill bottle or somewhere to fit on the body with a spare AA in it for travelling. Hopefully I can find one that will fit snugly.

The main reason I ordered it from Shiningbeam was Bryan's willingness to enter into a dialog with a newbie.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan is a great guy, i always get wonderful service from him. This is what i do to carry spare cells around, as you can see in the pic i use a small holster that carries 4 cr123's or 4AA batts. One would think that the ITP lights would be as popular as some of the others, dont know why its not.

travelinman

Enlightened
Haven't laid hands on yet but the C9 looks great! I was planning on buying a Jetbeam Jet III M next as a thrower to carry while travelling but now I'm sort of leaning toward the ITP E50. It seems like a simpler UI than the Jetbeam and just as much throw although I'd like to see some beamshots comparing the two.

btw...is collecting these things addicting? I'm beginning to think so. :eek:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup yes it is.........why do you think i have the r's tubes........for me getting them was worth it since i have more then one batt configs that i can play with.

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
Can owners the regular version (non-tactical) confirm that the strobe and SOS modes can be easily triggered non-intensionally? I read about this during my research into the C7R. I would have liked the tactical version but with a flush tailcap to tailstand, but it's not an available option. TIA.

travelinman

Enlightened
I elected to buy the regular version precisely because the strobe is such a valuable asset when travelling. Often, in other countries where roads are narrow and traffic laws are poorly followed *, a strobe held in the hand facing backwards will warn cars that there is a stupid gringo walking along the road at night. At best they swerve around you at the last minute, at worst, they have a difficult time explaining to a cop why they ran you down and can't use the "I didn't see the stupid gringo" excuse.

*In most S. American countries there is only one traffic law that is followed. "the driver with the most testosterone has the right of way".

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please post your thoughts on the light when you get it......are you going to be using rcr's or primaries.

obriencr

Newly Enlightened
I have an ITP C7. I like it, but I wish the low level was even lower. I love the variable brightness lights - but I want the full range, down to a very very low low.

For me, pocket carry is an AAA light. Fenix LOD, LDO, or something similar.