Which is brighter? Diamond Dragon or Cree R2 at 1500ma?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering which would be brighter, a slightly overdriven Diamond Dragon from Arcmania bin "NY" or a more significantly overdriven "R2" bin Cree when run at 1500 ma?

Thanks!
AlexGT

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering which would be brighter, a slightly overdriven Diamond Dragon from Arcmania bin "NY" or a more significantly overdriven "R2" bin Cree when run at 1500 ma?

Thanks!
AlexGT
They are both in the same range at that drive level....but the Cree has far higher surface brightness than the DD. Depends on the application but if throw is your aim the Cree is the way to go.

cerberuss

Newly Enlightened
They are both in the same range at that drive level....but the Cree has far higher surface brightness than the DD. Depends on the application but if throw is your aim the Cree is the way to go.

Is it possible that a DD would be a bit more efficient than a Cree when driven at 1.8 or so amps?.. and also.. the cree is well suited for an aspheric thrower, but how would they compare in reflector throwers..

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible that a DD would be a bit more efficient than a Cree when driven at 1.8 or so amps?.. and also.. the cree is well suited for an aspheric thrower, but how would they compare in reflector throwers..

Yeah I would think performance at those drive levels would also depend on the light delivery system. Lets say you put both on the common Mag heatsink in a Maglite, the DD would have better performance due to it's radiation pattern that is more suited for the reflector of the Mag. In a reflector or optic that's designed for a Cree, well then I suppose things may sway in its favor. My guess is that any reflector or optic system designed for Luxeons and Seouls would work well for the Diamond Dragon.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DD is going to go in a Mag I haven't decided on Reflector or Aspheric yet, I have a 2.5 throwmaster that is not being used and also have an aspheric.

I might even go 2.5 throwmaster with a bigger aspheric.

Another question, when driven at 1.5 to 1.8 amps which one would get hotter the DD or the Cree? Do you guys think a P7 heatsink from brightlumens would be enough to tame the heat from these overdriven leds?

AlexGT

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few beamshots for you to look at. Diamond Dragon from Arcmania and a Cree Q3 5A. Both are driven at 1.2A in Dereelight P6 Dropins. the third is a K2 TFFC 200 driven at 1.4A in a Sgt Burkett 18650. All shot at 2.8, 1/100 at 6 feet.
Click photos to enlarge.

DD

Cree Q3 5A

K2 TFFC 200

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the data sheet for the DD it does look like it is more efficient than the overdriven Cree. But although with really high drive currents you can get the DD to put out more light than the Cree it is over a larger surface area due to the larger die. No amount of overdriving the DD will get it to overcome the advantage that the Cree has in this area. This means if throw is your main goal the Cree is what you want. That is regardless of whether or not you use a reflector or aspheric. However if sheer output is what you want, go with the DD.

cerberuss

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the data sheet for the DD it does look like it is more efficient than the overdriven Cree. But although with really high drive currents you can get the DD to put out more light than the Cree it is over a larger surface area due to the larger die. No amount of overdriving the DD will get it to overcome the advantage that the Cree has in this area. This means if throw is your main goal the Cree is what you want. That is regardless of whether or not you use a reflector or aspheric. However if sheer output is what you want, go with the DD.

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks

Edwood

Enlightened
As Saabluster said, Cree is all about having as tight a hotspot as possible at long distance. The Cree has a much tighter beam angle.

However, the Diamond Dragon is also an excellent thrower. It has a wider beam pattern with smoother hot spot to spill transition. As I said before it's like a Seoul P4's beam with the throw of a Cree.

-Ed

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes but from mine and many other people's experiences, Crees don't work well in Mag or any shallow reflectors. I'm not sure how a Cree will work in the Fivemega 2.5" Throwmaster reflector, but I would still think since it has been proven to work well with even a P7 that it will work well with a DD. I would definitely agree if we're talking about using an aspheric lens only.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to try several options and will post beamshots of the Diamond dragon in a Mag C using:

Stock reflector
50 x 35mm Aspheric
2.5" FM Throwmaster reflector
70 x 63mm Aspheric

Is there a problem if I direct drive the DD with a Li-Ion C? or should I stick with a SOB 1500 ma?

Thanks!
AlexGT