G&P Mini turbo head

Superdave

Enlightened
I searched and found a few topics in the past about the incan version of this head, i bought the LED version as a base for modding and am pleasantly surprised. Currently it sports a Lux 5, 6-9V 1 mode driver in a removable pill. Construction is very good, clean threads, excellent anodizing which matches my Z3 nicely.

The driver pill looks to accept a 17mm driver, i plan on swapping it out to a 3 mode P7 driver from KD and running a MC-E in 4P.

Currently the beam is pretty good, reminds me of my U2. Not really worth beamshots unless someone really wants to see.. lol

Here are some pics:

Torch%20025%20%28Small%29.jpg

Torch%20019%20%28Small%29.jpg

Torch%20020%20%28Small%29.jpg

Torch%20021%20%28Small%29.jpg

Torch%20022%20%28Small%29.jpg

Torch%20023%20(Small).jpg

Can anyone who has purchased a D36 module from Lumens Factory confirm if it looks similar to this one?

Thanks

Last edited:

GreyShark

Enlightened
That looks really neat! I'd be interested in it if I could get it to use bi-pin bulbs. Does it have any specific name or part number?

saltytri

Enlightened

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like an awesome platform for mods..........:devil:

Swap the 5 to a P4 would kick a¤¤.....:thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
curious... how is thermal management with this head? Does the pill and throat or base area of the reflector directly contact the bezel or body tube?

Superdave

Enlightened
curious... how is thermal management with this head? Does the pill and throat or base area of the reflector directly contact the bezel or body tube?

in my Z3, yes the neck of the reflector rubs the body, after a few minutes you can feel the head and body warming up.

I ran just the pill and reflector off of my benchtop power supply, the pill gets warm pretty quick and the heat travels up the reflector nicely. I haven't decided what light this will reside on, my Z3 usually has the KT2 so i might be forced to pick up another body, a 2x18650 body would be nice. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I might be wrong, but weren't the older G&P heads poor at keeping water out?

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I love reflectors that screw in place into the bezel. Funny I only seem to see it on the lower cost stuff like my P7 MTE, etc...Looks cool!

Superdave

Enlightened
Just an update, i swapped the Lux 5 out for a M bin MC-E WD tint. I was going to use the Kaidomain 3 mode 2.8A driver but it was DOA so right now it's direct driven off of 2 123's. Pulls under 3A and measured a whopping 622 Lumens in our test rig at work.

Focusing was the worst part, the hotspot is still a little square but it's crazy bright. Hopefully i'll have some beamshots tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Superdave

Enlightened
I got the focus to be a little better...

All i had to compare it to was a 9P with a P60L, I can take others of needed. I did take some short exposure pics too... not posted unless requested.

Here is a 9P with a SF P60L, 20 ish feet in my basement...

P60L.jpg

and here is my modded G&P head, 2 CR123's direct driven.

MCE%20Modded%20GP454.jpg

Both pics taken at the same exposure, same white balance and no flash.

Depending on my rum consumption i might take some outdoor shots tomorrow night. :)