Which lights have the largest hotspots?

Lightaholic

Newly Enlightened
I did a search for this topic and was not able to find anything exactly like I am looking for.

One of my favorite lights is the Surefire E2DL. I really like this light because it has a huge bright hotspot and its perfect for really lighting things up when out running at night in the dark. Like all addictions, I now require more in my mind and I was wondering what all lights have hot spots like the E2DL.

Also, are there any lights that have the same style hotspot only birght with more throw and spill? This is of course all relative to size. I understand the e2dl is compact but I was curious if say something like the TK11 would compare in size and beam style.

I have looked at quite a few beamshots, but imo it can be quite difficult to really get a feel for what the beam looks like until you have examined it first hand. Thanks in advance for any data or thought you can give to this topic.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally lights that use a seoul Led have a larger and smother hot spot. Also multi led lights - and the P7 led lights.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK11 has a smooth reflector and is more throw oriented, so it will not have a very large hotspot. Anything with a P7 or an MC-E will have a large, bright hotspot. The Seoul P4 has a larger die area than a CREE XR-E, so it will probably have a larger hotspot, but this depends more upon the reflector. I believe that an SSC P4 also outputs more light to the sides and less to the front when compared to an XR-E. Textured reflectors tend to have larger/smoother hotspots than ones with smooth reflectors.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you would like a light with a adjustable focus like the coast lensers or the fenix e20?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the DBS MC-E. Throws a little bit more than my E2DL, but has A TON more spill. A very impressive set-up when ran on 2xRCR123's!

Lightaholic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. When looking at the beam shots of the MCE on the Deree site, it appears that the hotspot is insanely big, but then some say that the flood is so intense you really dont notice thie hot spot except in some occasions. Sorry to ask so many questions but I am curious if this will provide a ton of flood as well as a large spot light with good throw.

I realize the dbs is a thrower, so I guess what I am asking to clarify is am I hurting the throw capabilites of the light by goign with the MCE over the R2?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L1D and LOD have very large hotspots, which also is usual for lights with small reflectors and bad throw.

Regards, Patric

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i dun have any of these lights but the DX's X2000 seem to have an insanely huge spot, almost no spill at all.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize the dbs is a thrower, so I guess what I am asking to clarify is am I hurting the throw capabilites of the light by goign with the MCE over the R2?

The DBS with the R2 will out-throw the MC-E version. With that being said, the MC-E setup still offers quite a bit of throw. It equals my TK11 R2 in throw, which is no slouch in the throw department.

I think the DBS MC-E will fit your needs very well :thumbsup:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff P7 P60 drop-in has literally no hot spot. It is just a flood of light. Now, if you want a hot spot and you want it big I vote for the R2. I like the derelight 1.2amp draw R2 in warm: very huge hot spot and spill.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, I am uncertain about the total output comparison, but some other lights are worthy of mention. An example would be the EX10 GDP (145 lumens?), or the EagleTac T10C (220 Lumens?). Both have a relatively small spot and a lot of spill. Both have been widely acknowledged on CPF to be good lights. Although I certainly am not appreciative of all spot or "throw" and little or no spill, I do want some spot. The proper balance is the personal preference.