Caver with a newbie light question

absinthe52

Newly Enlightened
Hey there,
I am wondering what would be the best backup light to accompany a stenlight. Preferably one I could mount on my helmet. I am looking at a Fenix or Zebralight, but I want one with descent throw. From what I have read, they are more of a floodlight than anything. Does anyone have any good ideas? Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you,
Matt

kevinm

Enlightened
Most of the Fenix lights have pretty good throw. I use a River Rock K2 headlamp from Target for caving. Pretty good stock, but very good with the K2 swapped for a TFFC K2. The optic is all throw. If you want both throw and spill, I removed the optic and added a reflector.

The Zebralight is great. Nice and small, and very bright. If it's a backup, why do you want throw? Or is this your first backup (I have 3 or 4)?

For general caving I have the River Rock. For power, I carry a Sgt Burkett with an MC-E (800 lumens or so). For emergencies, I have a Jetbeam CL-E on a headband. For more emergencies, I have a Fenix LOD-CE around my neck. If all that fails, I have an Inova somewhere in the pack. Never too many sources in a cave!:naughty:

Kevin

absinthe52

Newly Enlightened
Kevin,
Yeah this is my first backup I guess you could say. I've recently decided to get serious on my lighting supply as on my last expediations, I used a Petzl that didn't give me much. Now I figure its time to invest in some lights that will actually work well.
Matt

tnuckels

Enlightened
Hello Absinthe52 (any relation to Thujone? :sssh: ) and :welcome:

A couple of questions to help with the search:

How are you powering the Sten? And, if it's not one of their rechargeable packs, would the backup light need to use the same power source? Do you have a battery preference?

As a backup light to the Sten, I assume this light will be less capable and less expensive. How much capability are you willing to sacrifice (¼, ½, ¾ loss in functionality, give up waterproofness, etc.). And, as capability often relates to price, mow much do you fancy spending?

Will you be carrying additional "last-ditch" backup light sources, or just the two?

Fenix makes such a wide variety of handheld (only) lights that I'm sure one might fit you needs. Trouble is mounting to a helmet. There are several strap variants available if you go that route or keep reading for other options.

Streamlight makes a thumbscrew mounted light , or you could mount a short length of picatinny rail and use one of their gun lights.

With a picatinny rail mounted to your helmet your options for attaching any number of handheld lights, like the Fenix lights, open up considerably. Here's a few that I've used, but there are dozens more out there.

Everyone on CPF loves the Zebralight headlamps, but you are correct that they are flood only. I personally prefer a light with an integrated diffuser so you can choose from spot or flood or even partially implement the diffuser and get a little of both.

So, there are almost too many options :duh2: to choose from. Maybe best just to stay home and watch cavers on National Geographic channel. :nana:

Good Luck!

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
Hey there,
I am wondering what would be the best backup light to accompany a stenlight. Preferably one I could mount on my helmet. I am looking at a Fenix or Zebralight, but I want one with descent throw. From what I have read, they are more of a floodlight than anything.

:welcome:

Fenix does not make a headlight, but I have had a lot of success using a Nite-ize headband to hold my Fenix L1D, my L2D, or even my 1-aaa LOD.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Nite_Ize_Headband_NPO-07_NPO-03.php

This may not mount on a caving helmet though, as it may not be long enough to go the way around.

A suggestion for a quality dealer for your fenix flashlights would be four-sevens, and he offers a 8% discount to CPF members also (code CPF8).
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_50&products_id=422

You may also want to try a search for "helmet mount" (or something like that) over in the bicycle sub-forum, and see what idea's people have come up with for a home-made mount for your helmet. Here is an interesting one.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218677

kevinm

Enlightened
You're right about the Nite-Eyez strap being too small. My helmet is not big and it won't fit. Get a JackStrap from Inner Mountain or Karst if you want to go that route. Plus, the JackStrap has one loop that points downish, making it much easier to walk without looking down all the time.

tnuckels

Enlightened
Kevin,
Yeah this is my first backup I guess you could say. I've recently decided to get serious on my lighting supply as on my last expediations, I used a Petzl that didn't give me much. Now I figure its time to invest in some lights that will actually work well.
Matt
Do you recall which Petzl you used, as they have a fairly extensive lineup?

Or maybe the Fenix
Head Band or Bike Mount would fit or could be made to work, respectively.

Last edited:

wesinator

Newly Enlightened
I think yyou would like the PD30 because it has a pretty good throw with a big hotspot and good spill. and you can put it on the fenix headband.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
should this be a "backup light" that is used together with the headlamp (therefore the throw)?
Or a "backup light" to get out of the cave when the main lamp fails?

because the 2nd option does - for me - not need power or throw, but ruggedness, no maintainance and small size.
Makes Zebralight, petzls, EOS, Apex, ..., possible

else, if the light has to give light at distances the Sten might not be able to reach (what caves do You ppl have there?), even a single 18650 should fit. As a plus it is small and light + gives a runtime of 2+ hours.
Jetbeam, Fenix 1st come in mind, but there are quite a bunch of other makers, too.

Maybe a 2 18650 one is even better. More runtime (no cell change inside cave) and usually a wider head, reaching more distance.
Unfortunately not in the same quality then the respected makers here

absinthe52

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I realize that might have been a broad question but I appreciate everyones advice.
Matt

Marduke

Flashaholic
For a 3rd string backup, E01 + 2 zip ties duct taped on the inside top of the helmet. More than bright enough to get you out of trouble.

Second string would ideally use the same battery as your primary however. That's one reason I refuse to use lights with custom battery packs.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Petzl Tactikka XP has an "Adapt" system with a "puck" style plastic mount for attaching to helmets. It has different levels of output, a "spot" type optic with a sliding diffuser, and is unregulated, so it will dim more sowly than your eyes will adjust to the dark (from what I understand), and medium/low will give good runtimes without suddenly dying.
From the model I saw on display at my local REI, it also seems to have a thin rubber seal around the battery compartment to help keep out dust/dirt. 3xAAA batteries, so they'll be easy to find. Plus, I think there was a thread on here, about adding a newer LED to it, for more light and longer runtimes. Overall, it seems like a decent back up light that isn't too big, and has an integrated battery pack, as well as the option for spot or flood, depending upon your needs.

YuccaPatrol

Newly Enlightened
I would go with something small and relatively dim as you will want it when you are stopped or are in very small passages.

I have a Fenix E01 ziptied to the side of my helmet. Weighs almost nothing and is very cheap at $15 or so.