Batch PVD coating interest?

I have a customer who has 3 PVD machines. PVD coatings are 85 rockwell hardness and 3 millionths of an inch thick. The coating is impervious to almost everything. The magnetic chamber can hold approximately 2-300 flashlights.

Are any of you interested in getting into a coating batch? I can get it done at cost.

I had them coat my 500 Smith & Wesson black that was stainless steel and silver in color. Here is a picture of the gun after the coating.

If you look near the trigger guard you can see the actual color before I put a light coat of oil on it. The color before oil is a dark gray.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/500custom/500-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
PVD is the coating process, but what material are you using to coat? AlTiN is a popular one here, but I'd like to see TiCN, which would be even better for everyday object applications..

PVD is the coating process, but what material are you using to coat? AlTiN is a popular one here, but I'd like to see TiCN, which would be even better for everyday object applications..

I have to go over there Mon. so I will ask the specifics. It does not seem like many here are interested though.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Might wanna see about having a mod move it to home-made and modified subforum. It fits better there anyways. I'm still curious as to how much it cost you to get that .500 coated. I have an XD I'd like to have the slide done on :D

kromeke

Enlightened
Would like to know the actual coating. I'm looking for AlTiN but would be interested in any other dark hard coating.

Cost is always a factor.

Count me in as interested.

DM51

Flashaholic
Your photo is too large. Please resize it to comply with Rule #3.

I'll move your thread to H&M for the time being. If you get a lot of interest in this and decide to offer it as a service, the thread can be moved again into B/S/T - let a moderator know and we'll do that for you.

iconoclast

Enlightened
I'd be interested, depending on the rest of the details.
If it's AlTiN at a resonable price, I'm certain I can find a few lights that could use a nice coating. Other materials could be interesting too though.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard of a PVD coating, does it work on non-ferrous metals? you were talking about a "magnetic chamber", what does it do to an AL flashlight, or is the PVD particles charged or something?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking only titanium and Stainless steel can be PVD coated. The temperatures are higher than aluminum's melting point so aluminum will just puddle up in the chamber.

I remember when the Draco came out the aluminum bodies were only offered to be electro-plated but the titanium bodies could stand the heat of PVD processing so they were optioned to have the coating, in various flavors. Stainless steel also offers the temperature resistance that titanium has.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: I'm interested. I have some little Ti's that need a warm coat.