Lights that allured me to buy but i didnt!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
Lights that have just been whispering my name past few months .. well some have shouted.. but so far i have won the battle against "buy it now".

not in order and not all.. will add if i think of others.

jetbeam pro st. it still whispers my name (3 times a week to see the website or reviews)
but the real killer was the bugourgears special edition ST with broadvoltage military circuit and r2 led. I was SOO close of buying it, but luckily i found out early enough that it was not actual ST with 3 modes but the M one. if it would of been the 3 mode st with r2 and cr123 option i would of gotten it.

(soo close = put into cart 3 times but didnt finish the deal)

Ra clicky edc. just cant talk myself to buy a light for my edc that costs 99.. and then pay 30 more for shipping! no, no, no.. 99 i could think.. 110 maybe.. but 130 no thanks.. 30% extra to ship it? thats ripoff in my mind. (could get d10 AND ex10 for that!) if Ra edc would have warm tint led.. then hmm.. yes 130 would be more easier to sell to the inner scrooge in me.

-this falls into my code, Do not use something you cannot afford to loose/break/replace. and to me 130 is hard to replace.

Dereelight c2h, 5a ru, from dereelight. still want it. just hoping they will upgrade the circuit for a bit more runtime, thats holding me back from taking a plunge :)

dereelight c2h, 5a rd from marketplace (just coulndt get it 20 dollar discount from new as i told myself ramp up is better)

dereelight c2h q5 ru, used from mp flashcrazy (told myself 20 dollars more to get a warm tint is better deal)

nitecore d10 and ex10.. pre-order 4sevens. just wanted to see a beamshot between the older q5s 1st.. how much nicer r2 would be. and if the clips were included to the price.. they werent. and when i saw the beamshots the d10 was already sold out at 4-7. (not that the beams are that much different)
-currently thinking about getting d10 when they arrive 47.

itp c7 and c8 .shiningbeam. sounds cool. but i rather have d10 1st as people seem to swear by it more than itp´s.

fenix tk40 preorder.. glad i waited. now i kinda want eagletac nanomega instead. if fenix puts out tk30 for 60$ (warm tint 4aa in two rows.. im sold!)

zebralight h30 and especially h50.. headlamp is good to have but i rather spend my money on small edc light first then look at others. and now there is coming h501.. sheehs..

plenty of p7 ans mce lights in dealextreme! now waiting for shiningbeams mce and eagletac. i just need a flooder!

*fights that i lost..
lummi raw al. still waiting it to arrive but this lummi just won me over 4 times like it was a new light.. hahah

1st fell in love, but out of price range as it was raw ti.
2nd time when i saw wee and went to see the raw too. now i saw NS version.. but shucks its nickel and smells like coins and im slightly allergic to nickel. (thanks mom grr) and i dont like the coinsmell.
3rd time ohhh..there is ALuminum! but its only limited version.. guess its sold out. yeah. it was. and the pound is still 1.5 times euro! a bit pricy for novelty like that.
4th time.. aluminums are still for sale! and pound is only 1.2*e! oh gotta have it!

x2t from shiningbeam.. just wanted a light and it was a cheap twisty wit a momentary button also. its cool. am happy with it still. could of saved the money towards something else but had a need for simple cheap light that is atleast supposed to be better than dx lights.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good perseverance. :clap:

I lost most of my fights....
Raw Al, Wee Ti and just a moment ago, Sapphire. I mean, I was telling myself, it's McGizmo AND Arc for crying out loud. So, like a moth to light, it's....so.....beautiful..... ka-ching! :paypal:
Then I promised myself I'm not going to get another Ti.... probably for the next 2 days. :crackup:

I think for the health of our wallets, there should be a sticky that has questionaires to determine if we REALLY need AND want the lights that're beckoning us.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
or something like this:

when logging into a sellers website and try to put an item to shopping cart you would be forced to play maybe a 2 hour tic tac toe game against computer.

and every time when starts a new game it asks question.

questions that you would have to answer YES:

"do you have afford to it".
"can you buy it without cutting costs in other things"
"do you need it"
"no really, DO you NEED it"
"will it replace another light you have"
"will you sell others that this will replace"
"can you afford to use it, loose it and break it and replace it"
"buy it again in months notice without cutting other costs"
"is this your own credit card"
"your own money"

and NO answers

"do you have other lights like it"
"can the other lights you have do the same job as this one"
"will you get in trouble when your wife etc finds out"
"can you live with out it"
"honestly, dont you just want it and lied about the need"

and few essee answers:
"why u need it."
"why is it better than other lights you have."
"what would u buy if you would not buy this light"
(careful here..dont say food or pay bills..)

guess there could be other questions too..

and after all that there would be atleast 3 day waiting period until it allows you to finish the purchase.
and before that you would still run into same questionnaire ..
then it would crossreference differencies in answers..

if too many answers are different deal cancelled.

*add lights that allured me..
-Liteflux 5.. just dont like the fact they went to q5 and the said delay when switching.
-jetbeam 1.. somehow feels a bit bulky by numbers when compared to other aa lights im looking at.
-maglite rops that have been for sale.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights that have been tempting me are Ra lights, Novatacs, Muyshondts, and a Peak of some variety. I'd probably already have a couple Peaks, but they seem to have too many choices, and their website is a pain to navigate. And the names they give their lights tell you absolutely nothing about them, like the type of LED, or type and number of batteries each one uses. Unfortunately, it just seems like too much work to figure it all out and make a decision. Oh well.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Good thread NonSenCe and you make some excellent points in post #3. There are so many lights that I have wanted recently but then I realize that I already have something better, and try to just buy the lights that actually perform better than what I already have in one or more areas.:)

BTW, I believe this thread belongs in the General Flashlight Discussion forum and might need to be moved there.;)

brucec

Enlightened
I try to buy lights that are at the top of their class. However, sometimes I buy popular lights just to find out what all the buzz is about. Lights that have been on and off the list:

1. Spy 007. Been thinking of this one for a while, but I've kind of gone away from 2-cell lights. Still, the form factor is appealing. I think the main reason I haven't gotten one is that there are no new sales threads open besides pre-owned ones on BST.

2. Fenix TK11 & Olight M20. I don't have any 18650 powered lights. I already have a Pila IBC charger sitting in my cabinet, but I don't even own 18650 batteries. I'm thinking I'll skip the R2 18650 lights and go straight to something like an Eagletac Nano Megalight. Not that I need that light either, but I figure if I'm going to do a large 18650 light, I might as well go all the way.

3. Ra Clicky. I really wanted to get one because the Novatac was my EDC for a while. However (apologize in advance to Ra fans), the QC problems and questionable (to me anyway) business practices knocked it well off the list. Maybe after Ra gets it act cleaned up.

4. Surefire E2DL. Aside from the Malkoff M60, I don't have anything that is a real thrower. If it weren't for the aggressive strike bezel and sharp tailcap crenellations, I would already own this. Are there any lego options to make this light without the spikes? I may purchase it anyway, just have to be mindful of where it is riding in my pocket. :eek:

5. Lummi Raw & Wee. These look so sexy with the tritium vials and various choices of metals. But, I'm not a big fan of tiny rechargeable batteries. I hope Lummi comes out with a CR2 primary light at some point.

6. Surefire E1B silver version. Looking at this for a silver colored head to match 1xCR123 McClickie packs. No big hurry.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I like to always have a 1 x AAA light in my pocket. Over the years I've gotten almost all, and presently carry an L0DQ4. But that little LiteFlux LF2 and now the LF2X has constantly been a serious temptation. Maybe one of these days.

Geoff

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tried.
but didnt get one.

was waiting for 4-7 to get their new batch of D10s supposed to arrive today..

went in to see..
Aha! the notice has changed from "will arrive"..

goodie.. i put it into my cart.. and then

disappointment!

this is what it said:

"Products marked with *** does not exist in desired quantity in our stock. You can buy them anyway and the quantity not in stock will be back ordered. If you complete your order we will ship as soon as items are back in stock."

my quantity was ONE! sheeeeeesshhh!

this basically is exactly the same as preorder/backorder information they had going on there all this week!

annoying.

oh well.. money saved. for today.

lets see whats next flashlight in line for me to get excited of..

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're not a true flashaholic unless you have a list of flashlights that you really wish to purchase. Here's a few of mine:

(1) Arc6 - Really wanted to pick one up with K2 LED. But it went on eBay and the prices got ridiculous. I still want to pick one up.

(2) Spy007 - Want to know what the hype is about. Personally, I never really thought it looked that nice, but then again, beautiful is in the eye of the beerholder :devil:. I can't justify spending $1,000 for it.

(3) Surefire Titan - Love the style and the switching mechanism, but never got around to it.

(4) Surefire M6 -A craving that is long gone. This beast uses so many primaries!

There might be more, but can't think straight now.

Every so often, I'll succumb to my temptation and purchase a few, oftentimes I'm correct with my initial reasoning of why I shouldn't buy it.

(1) Ra Twisty - Sold it very shortly. Nice, reliable light but just not for me. Bought it to see what the hype is about.

(2) Ra Clicky - Sold it very shortly. Wanted to replace my Novatac 120P, but it was a little bulky and long for my liking.

(3) Surefire U2 - I'm usually not a 2-cell flashlight guy, but I heard a lot of good things about it. Picked one up recently from CPFM for a reasonable cost. I was surprised by how much I like this light. I may pick up another one.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
(2) Spy007 - Want to know what the hype is about. Personally, I never really thought it looked that nice, but then again, beautiful is in the eye of the beerholder :devil:. I can't justify spending $1,000 for it.

Yeah.... I also wonder about that, maybe I'm missing something. :shrug:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah.... I also wonder about that, maybe I'm missing something. :shrug:

There are two that I know of that are still on sale over at BST. Last year, they got snagged up within 15 minutes. This year, they're begging for a new home. :eek: [fill in your economy story here]. It's not the current economy that's holding me back, but rather it is the little lady that's sleeping on my bed right now while I'm typing away at CPF at 4:00am.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
One that i lost.

in about 15 seconds

Zebralight h501.

(that 15s is the time it took me to read cpf thread that they are for sale and to wait for browser to open the page and click it to the cart.)

*to keep it on topic.
some that i won: dereelight c2h again!
lumapower lm33 from batteryjunction.
if they´d have lm31 i would of lost.
and encore lured me too while browsing there.

im getting nervous of the c2h.. why is it that that warm tint ramp up light draws me drooling there all the time?

and only reasons i can think of not buying it are
1.the really weak runtime on high.
2. hope there will be others (programmable) with warm tint soon.

**edit: some lights still in limbo.. 4-7 clearance sale l2d and pd3.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
im getting nervous of the c2h.. why is it that that warm tint ramp up light draws me drooling there all the time?

I think C2h is a light you should raise you white flag high up in the sky....

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just reminded me that Zebralight H501 is on sale. Thanks! Order Placed. :grin2:

One that i lost.

in about 15 seconds

Zebralight h501.

(that 15s is the time it took me to read cpf thread that they are for sale and to wait for browser to open the page and click it to the cart.)

*to keep it on topic.
some that i won: dereelight c2h again!
lumapower lm33 from batteryjunction.
if they´d have lm31 i would of lost.
and encore lured me too while browsing there.

and only reasons i can think of not buying it are
1.the really weak runtime on high.
2. hope there will be others (programmable) with warm tint soon.

**edit: some lights still in limbo.. 4-7 clearance sale l2d and pd3.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
darnit..

i lost again.

to the old nemesis..

i finally caved in..

Dereelight C2H RU 5A Q3 -OP

-you beat me. against all odds if i may say.. runtime is king in my court! and you still whooped my a$$ by wearing me down!

*sigh*

I tried my best to resist.. but as i put it into shopping cart it said 59dollars. not 66 that is said on the webpage!

now resistance is futile!

so i ordered one separate 5a emitter too while i was there..
as i saved 7 bucks, i can spend 9 more!

hah.. economy likes my math.

-i waited 2 weeks for 4-7s to get d10 r2 back to their stock.. and two days now for their new batch.. no luck with that, so i caved in for c2h. might consider one later on.. i like AA format.

-one reason to this purchase also was that i got sad news AGAIN from lummi.. my raw is still there waiting a battery for yet another extra week! (makes it over 3 weeks waiting for 1 BATTERY!)

-other reason: ra clicky edc is supposed to be coming to flashholics.co.uk next month.. and their prices have been in same line as ralights.. but their shipping costs are 6$ vs 30$ of american sites. -if i end up buying that then i am set with EDCs for a while!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
losses losses..

my impulse buy nerve wins these days!

this month i simply lost pretty much every impulse that i could pay and get shipped fast to me.

2 headlamps:
zebralight h501, so far im happy.
alpkit gamma, over shadowed by zebra.

2 flashlights:
cr123 : deree c2h, not yet here.
2AA: itp c8t, shipping out monday so might take 10days.

and i thought i was getting a hold of this flashlightholism..

you know, not anymore just wanting to buy every bright thing but actually try to choose and pick which might be better..

oh well i still firmly believe that when i get a great small flashlight to EDC and one "huge wall of light" flashlight my restlessness subsides.

*to stay in topic:
i didnt buy jetbeam pro 3 st BVC.
i didnt buy dereelight dbs mce
i didnt buy eagletac p100a
i didnt buy fenix l2d
i didnt buy tiablo ace and a9

i tried to buy d10 r2, jet pro 1.. but didnt find them available.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Still might buy a Fenix TK20, or an EagleTac P100-A2 . . . .

But, i'm reluctant to do so, since they don't have a Low setting.

Rather, they are General mode, and High Mode.

We'll see.

_

cerbie

Enlightened
Arc6: $$$, but looks to be everything I'd want in a EDC torch. I mean, my worst nitpick, w/o seeing it in person, would be that I'm liking emitters better on color, like the GD+, and 5A XR-E (I'm sure there are modders that could help me out).

Surefire L1 (Cree): aside from the 6P (for modular upgrade options), about the only SF that catches my interest. The combo of size, throwing ability, battery-vampire action on primaries, throw-modulated two-level switch /w lock-out...part of me wants to kick myself for passing up a few good used ones on CPFMP.

Custom Arc LS (not first run): I've had a couple ideas for making up a LS host mule-like torch, w/ a GDuP, but I don't know if I could afford to fail when making it. Not factory, sure, but still plenty of stuff to buy to make it real :).

Last edited: