How to Fit Protected LiIon in 2D Mag

PaulH

Newly Enlightened
I've finally got some protected D LiIons from KD.

I've tried to put them in my 2D mag (MC-E, 2S2P), and even with a shorty spring from KD, there is no where near enough room to screw the tailcap on.

Has anyone come up with a solution? I've previously tried to compress the spring and weld a couple of the coils togther, but only managed to ruin the spring.

I've had a good search on CPF, hoping someone would be selling extenders, but with no luck.

The protected D LiIons are 66.5mm, compared to a standard D Ni-MH at 61.5mm.

Many thanks...

Paul

PaulH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Sam, that is just what I was looking for.

I had thought about cutting the spring, but I can't see how the contact would be made between the battery and the tail cap. Sorry if I'm being dumb, but if anyone has a photo of what they have done to the spring, I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers.

Paul

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
Here is an example to what i did to my spring.

For just 5mm longer than a normal battery pack i would not extend my m@g!
My battery pack even goes into the tailcap!

4D-ROP-tailspring.jpg

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an example to what i did to my spring.

For just 5mm longer than a normal battery pack i would not extend my m@g!
My battery pack even goes into the tailcap!

4D-ROP-tailspring.jpg
Yes, but your battery pack isn't D cells in a D Mag, so you can do that -- you can't stick D cells down in a D tailcap without boring it perilously thin. Fortunately, there's plenty of room just by shortening the spring, but leaving it in a "normal" configuration.

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
Yes, but your battery pack isn't D cells in a D Mag, so you can do that -- you can't stick D cells down in a D tailcap without boring it perilously thin. Fortunately, there's plenty of room just by shortening the spring, but leaving it in a "normal" configuration.

True, it's just an example of how to mod a spring...
His cells are just 5mm longer than standard so they will not stick out of the m@g.

Shsesc

Newly Enlightened
I cut the bottom coils off and ground off the anodizing inside the tail cap and it fits great. I just finished me build today after 3 months of waiting for KD to ship those 32650 D(ish) cells

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often remove the ano and set the spring in the bottom of the tail piece when needed.

The new KD protected D cells are almost a quarter of an inch longer than the old KD cells were at least the ones I received today are.

Dave