My Romisen RC-M4 is very dim

LRanger

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie and I've been lurking here for over a month already and I have learned some of the terms used by flashaholics. I just got the courage to post.

Can anyone please explain what happened to my Romisen RC-M4, single mode, with P4 emitter.

I got this light from DX and I've been using this light for more than 3 months already using CR123 primary. Just the other night while I was using this light for approx. 5 minutes it suddenly flickered and after the short flickering it turned very dim.

I tried using fresh CR123 and fully charged RCR123 but the light is still very dim. I then tried to put in a 18650 and it was as bright as before. I again put in the CR and RCR and it again become dim. I tried switching batteries for several times with the same result. I don't understand what hapened to this light.

Thank you.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a newbie and I've been lurking here for over a month already and I have learned some of the terms used by flashaholics. I just got the courage to post.

Can anyone please explain what happened to my Romisen RC-M4, single mode, with P4 emitter.

I got this light from DX and I've been using this light for more than 3 months already using CR123 primary. Just the other night while I was using this light for approx. 5 minutes it suddenly flickered and after the short flickering it turned very dim.

I tried using fresh CR123 and fully charged RCR123 but the light is still very dim. I then tried to put in a 18650 and it was as bright as before. I again put in the CR and RCR and it again become dim. I tried switching batteries for several times with the same result. I don't understand what hapened to this light.

Thank you.

Do you have a way to run 3v to the LED to see if its the problem ?
I had a flashlight that lasted all of 5 minutes , and the controller died .[ circuit board/driver ]

So if the LED is OK , ??

I guess it could be the clicky as well , but unlikely .

Do you have a multimeter . ?

Last edited:

LRanger

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a way to run 3v to the LED to see if its the problem ?
I had a flashlight that lasted all of 5 minutes , and the controller died .

So if the LED is OK , ??

I guess it could be the clicky as well , but unlikely .

Do you have a multimeter . ?

I guess the LED is ok because it is very bright when I put in a 18650 battery. Everything seems ok with 18650... the LED brightness and clicky. Other than 18650 it is very dim.

linterno

Enlightened
Recently I had a similar problem with another flashlight. Finally I noticed that the driver was not doing good contact with the pill. Solved with some soldering between the drivers ground and the pill.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xCR123 6V
1x18650 4+V fully charged ?

Is it a protected 18650 so it would then be longer ? then 2xCR123 ?
Nope , other way round .

Could be lose joint / component , and the different length of the batteries is putting diff levels of pressure on the driver board .

Does unscrewing tail cap - head / releasing pressure on the CR123's make the flashy work ?
I think 2xCR123 is longer than 1 * 18650 . At least mine are by 2.5mm .

When it comes to it , it could be so many things . You just need to check everything till you isolate the problem .

LRanger

Newly Enlightened
2xCR123 6V
1x18650 4+V fully charged ?

Is it a protected 18650 so it would then be longer ? then 2xCR123 ?
Nope , other way round .

Could be lose joint / component , and the different length of the batteries is putting diff levels of pressure on the driver board .

Does unscrewing tail cap - head / releasing pressure on the CR123's make the flashy work ?
I think 2xCR123 is longer than 1 * 18650 . At least mine are by 2.5mm .

When it comes to it , it could be so many things . You just need to check everything till you isolate the problem .

I have already checked all possbilities of loose contact. It could be the circuit, but I can't understand why it is so bright with protected 18650 and so dim with CR123 and RCR123.

Could it be tthat he logic in the circuit gone haywire and switching to direct drive rather than regulate?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar occurence with a damaged board. Another member solved the puzzle for me...It seems that with the 18650 the ligh runs Direct Drive.

Why don't you ask at the electronics forum?