12h+ moon mode from a "dead" C123 and Nitecore Extreme.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had few panasonic "dead" CR123 cells so i decided to drain them completly. These cells measured 3.01v but after few seconds use they drop to 2.7v, and they are officially dead since my P2D and Romisen RC-C3 only turns on for a second before shutting down.

So I took the same cell, put it in my nitecore extreme and turned it on. Left it more than 12hours already, but it still brights up... In the first 4 hours it was close to 10 lumens, almost as bright as a fauxton. After 8 hours it was half as bright as my JET III on min. Now it looks much dimmer than an E01 in moon mode. I guess it is now at 2 lumen or even less, very dim, but still useful at night (throws up to 5 meters!).

I plan to leave it all night long to see what happens, this nitecore extreme is really extreme... :D

Picture I took 1 hour ago. the blue one is the fauxton.
nodgmq.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The minimum output of the Jet III is 2 lumens, so you're down to fractions of a lumen now. If I remember correctly, only HDS/Novatac makes 123 lights that have a lower minimum output than Nitecore.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minimum output of the Jet III is 2 lumens, so you're down to fractions of a lumen now. If I remember correctly, only HDS/Novatac makes 123 lights that have a lower minimum output than Nitecore.

I should be getting less than a lumens then... The funny thing here is that the extreme can still change modes, perform infinity-variable brightness setting and strobe!

jupello

Enlightened
Good to know. Seems like the extreme really does have some advantages in the electronics/regulation to make up for the higher price.. it wont be leaving you suddenly in the dark like the other two when the batteries "run out" :thumbsup:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds Extreme.:eek: I'm gonna have to take another look at this light.

Have you had any issues with the clickie switch?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
You wouldn't happen to have an Inova X5 with RED leds do you?

that is my personal battery vampire.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
After about 14 hours it turned off and went to the strobe mode and then into a beacon mode. It flashes once every 8 seconds or so. I'm not sure if this is a feature, or just the battery recovering some power enough to make it flash once.

Have you had any issues with the clickie switch?

I haven't had any problems with the switch, it is very responsive and easy to reach. Don't know if it was a mistake but they included me 2 spare switches.

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
After about 14 hours it turned off and went to the strobe mode and then into a beacon mode. It flashes once every 8 seconds or so. I'm not sure if this is a feature, or just the battery recovering some power enough to make it flash one.

I haven't had any problems with the switch, it is very responsive and easy to reach. Don't know if it was a mistake but they included me 2 spare switches.

I think they inclued 2 spares and some o-rings with all of them.

My switch was acting up a bit at one time, but after cleaning it a bit it has been perfect ever since.

Sverre

PS! NiteCore customer service has been excellent in all cases I've heard of so they will make it right if there is any problems.

Illum

Flashaholic
at this rate if you turn it off then back on chances are it won't fire

Inductors are awesome when they are energized but not saturated...it can sustain a current draw on depleted batteries almost until the very end. I've done moon mode triald with the L0D-CE P4 before and it worked like this:grin2:

Viper715

Enlightened
I saw this and decided to try it. I took a old surefire battery that would not light up a p60l and sure enough it is still burning in the Nitecore Extreme. I do love this light. I have a question have any of you experience flickering mainly in low mode if you move the bezel at all and sometimes not at all. I have completely cleaned it and relubed. It is a GDP version. Just wandering if mine has a problem or if it is just how it is.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this and decided to try it. I took a old surefire battery that would not light up a p60l and sure enough it is still burning in the Nitecore Extreme. I do love this light. I have a question have any of you experience flickering mainly in low mode if you move the bezel at all and sometimes not at all. I have completely cleaned it and relubed. It is a GDP version. Just wandering if mine has a problem or if it is just how it is.

I think this is usually caused by dirt on the contact surfaces, both the NDI and NEX are sensitive to this.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks OP, this rekindled my search for a CR123 vampire. About the NEX : what kind of bezel options are there?

I see this version at Amazon:[URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D0JAXO/?tag=cpf0b6-20"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001D0JAXO/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1237743461&sr=8-1&condition=all
[/URL]

The seller has nice rating but the low price of $79 makes me wonder if the product is 100% new, working and geniune. The same HA bezel R2 version costs $92.

cjs4760

Newly Enlightened
The seller has nice rating but the low price of $79 makes me wonder if the product is 100% new, working and geniune. The same HA bezel R2 version costs $92.

I hear ya - I sent the seller an email. The fact that it's fulfilled through Amazon increases confidence. I just want to clarify the SS v. HA bezel (thought it doesn't matter to me).

Searching for the R2, there are a couple other etailers w/ stock at $82 and $88, so $79 isn't too outta whack.

Thx,
Chris