Looking for a EDC to replace my *lost* A2

DisgruntledVirus

Newly Enlightened
Jan of 2008, I decided to buy a A2 Aviator on an impulse buy (got a bonus and said why not :p). Didn't regret it one bit. Was the second best purchase I made last year (behind my 50 inch Kuro 5080 of course haha). Well at any rate, my gf and I went to Myrtle Beach for her friends wedding last August. On the way back home, I had put it in her purse to help make things easier to pack the car. Of course, she happened to lose her purse in NC and we didn't realize it until 4 hours and 300 miles later (at 1 am getting gas)...

So now, ~6 months later I finally am getting around to buying a replacement. I have spent a ton of time researching over the past 2 week, but am still torn as I was 2 weeks ago. I am looking for others thoughts (since my local Surefire dealer doesn't have all the Surefire's I am looking at). I loved my A2, but there were some issues I had with it. First was the led's weren't focused/bright enough for most of my uses. They provided good coverage (flood), just not enough bright enough. Secondly, the main bulbs burn time of 1 hr was fine at the time, but if I am looking for a replacement then I want to bump that up from the 50 lumens (as a side note the beam was ideal, enough flood but still focused).

What I'm looking for in a replacement:
Similar size to the A2
Similar beam characteristics to the incan on the A2
Brighter low end and high end (must have 2 or more output settings)
Longer high setting than the A2
An EDC bright enough to "blind" a person if needed (or signal people at a distance)
No more than 2 cr123 batteries, but am hesitant on a 1 battery design because I want to use it with a pistol and one battery might not be big enough (not attached, but in the non-pistol hand)
Low end that can be used to read/work light that isn't "too bright" (this can be hard to find, but would rather have something not bright enough if need be)

Price isn't an issue, and will pay what I need to that gets me what I want in a light.

Lights I am considering:
E1B Backup- I did look at this in the store the other day, but both low/high settings were too low in the store (bright overhead lights) which might have been why it wasn't bright enough for me. I plan to give it another chance later this week.
L1 Lumamax high end doesn't seem high enough
E2D LED this and the U2 are the main contenders right now, but worried about the low end (5 lumens like the E1B) and the size
A2 Aviator even though it wasn't perfect, it was great and can find cheap now
U2 Ultra As of now, I would prolly buy this. I have read the low end is still too bright to use, and the high end I don't know if it's bright enough. Also, the light is more floody than torchy that limits it's throw.
L2 Lumamax Low end might be too bright, and high end is an hour run time again.

So, flashlight gods (whom I bow before their wisdom :)) any idea on what route I should go? I can't go test all out in stores (the 2 local ones don't have much in stock, especially the newer LEDs/higher priced ones), so am looking for help deciding what is the best option to replace my A2 lost in my gf's purse lol. PS I won't be entrusting it to anybody else so I won't *lose* it again ;)

EDIT: Or, should I wait until the new Surefires are released? I can't find any release dates, and based off their UA2/UB2 last year, I don't want to wait for something that won't be released. Should I wait for the UB3, A2L, or A2Z instead?

Last edited:

DisgruntledVirus

Newly Enlightened
E2D sounds good. 5lm is still brighter than what the A2 was, which is about 3lm.

Thanks for the link in your sig on the "newbie flashlight" link. Gave me something to read for the last little bit :)

That's what I was thinking as well, but need to find one to look at in person (well I'd like to at least) before I buy it.

What about the U2?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link in your sig on the "newbie flashlight" link. Gave me something to read for the last little bit :)

That's what I was thinking as well, but need to find one to look at in person (well I'd like to at least) before I buy it.

What about the U2?
You have quite a varied selection of flashlights there don't you! Most of the lights you have mentioned I have had a one stage or another and I can tell you that the programmable lights I now use are my most useful.

A programmable light allows you to tailor the lights' functions to be exactly what you want. Most lights with 2-3 non-adjustable light levels do not allow such flexibility.

I do love my A2 but do agree that the low is too low at times and the high mode is great but it does murder the batteries - sometimes, a mode in-between would be great but with an A2, it's not possible. If you are used to the size of the A2, you may find the larger bezel size of the U2 cumbersome - I know I did. The selectable 6 output levels is a good thing, however, I tended to just use the min and max modes most of the time. The minimum level is still too high however to maintain your night vision. IMHO, the larger head size meant I couldn't EDC the U2 easily.

Personally, I would consider a Novatac 120P or Ra Clicky for maximum programmability and flexibility. For around $89-$99 you can buy a perfect condition but used Novatac from CPF Market Place or a new Ra Clicky from $99.00!

These lights are very small but still provide an easy shape to hold - 100-120 lumens with a perfect beam and 4 adjustable light levels available down to 0.3 lumens!

You can still access strobe and sos functions if you want to but they don't get in the way if you don't want them.

Good luck with your decision!!

James....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1 or E2DL. The L1 and E2DL are way brighter than they are rated at so you won't be disappointed I think.

Optics HQ might have very good prices on L1s if you give them a call:

Toll Free: 800-820-3124

Saying you are a CPF member won't hurt at all. They are a great shop for everything from Surefire not just the L1.

Sverre

DisgruntledVirus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies so far!!!

I'll look into the Ra Clicky and the Novatac as well. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind the *limited* functionality of a non-programmable light. I am very loyal to the Surefire brand from the great experience with the A2 I had. That's why I didn't look into other brands.

As for the U2 bezel size being too big for EDC, that's what I was worried about. The multiple modes of the U2 are something I don't know if I would use, or just use the low/high settings. I do want to get a light thats low enough it doesn't screw up my eyes night vision.

Does the E2D LED suffer from the same issue of low setting being too high for night vision preservation?

I'll give Optics HQ a call, and see what they say.

I'm kind of sad I missed the E1B in the marketplace by 10 minutes or so. For $80 I would have gotten that without a doubt.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1...Optics HQ might have very good prices on L1s if you give them a call:

Toll Free: 800-820-3124

Saying you are a CPF member won't hurt at all. They are a great shop for everything from Surefire not just the L1.

Sverre

Welcome to CPF DV!

I got an L1 from OpticsHQ. They ship really fast and at 1/3 off how can you go wrong? IMHO it is bright enough to give you a brief advantage in a tight situation. FLASH-BASH-DASH. The L1 is alot smaller than the A2. Another advantage is that it takes one cell. So you can carry twice as many reloads.

It sucks to lose a light.

The tried and true E2e is also a great light. Especially with the longer running MN02 LA.

kelmo

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about the loss. Aside from the excellent suggestions made, you can find a less expensive (not regulated) LED/ Incan combo at "caleb's"outdoor supply. It's not a Surefire but it does have a white incan/ with either a blue, red, green LED.

DisgruntledVirus

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about the loss. Aside from the excellent suggestions made, you can find a less expensive (not regulated) LED/ Incan combo at "caleb's"outdoor supply. It's not a Surefire but it does have a white incan/ with either a blue, red, green LED.

TBH if I replace it with another A2, it would most likely be a used one from the marketplace on here. I have seen a few around the $100 mark, so could pick one up fairly cheap.

Although more than likely I won't get an incan, because of the lowish runtimes and bulb life. I appriciate the suggestion though :)

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going by your description of a one cell light possibly being too small, I would suggest the Ra Clicky instead of the Novatac. The Clicky is a little longer than the Novatac, which makes it almost the perfect size for in the hand use. Since the Novatac was smaller, I would find that during use part of my plam would interfere with the beam. The Clicky is long enough that it sticks out of the hand a good 1/2"-1" during use so my hand or fingers never get in the way.

If you are willing to buy something other than Surefire, look no further than the Ra Clicky. It is quite possibly the best "EDC" style light out there for the money. But if you want to go with Surefire, I'd suggest either the L1 or E2DL. I have the E2DL and it's a real screamer, waaaay under-rated as some have been tested putting out just over 200L on high!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the E2D LED suffer from the same issue of low setting being too high for night vision preservation?

For me, the purpose of a low mode is not to preserve my night vision, but rather to see at night.

Pretty much any of these white LED lights will disrupt perfectly night-adapted vision to some extent, so don't use them for astronomy. But I find that the 3-5 lumen range is perfectly usable in pitch dark conditions, without causing a painful blinding effect.

DisgruntledVirus

Newly Enlightened
For me, the purpose of a low mode is not to preserve my night vision, but rather to see at night.

Pretty much any of these white LED lights will disrupt perfectly night-adapted vision to some extent, so don't use them for astronomy. But I find that the 3-5 lumen range is perfectly usable in pitch dark conditions, without causing a painful blinding effect.

I guess I used the wrong term then. :oops:

What I meant by "night vision" was not meant the way you want to preserve your night vision for astronomy. I meant using in low/no light areas up close. For example, crawling behind a desk working on a PC to see the labels on the back of the mobo. A second would be use to read something if need be, without causing lots of eye strain.

I do a lot of work in the IT field, and am in low/no light enviornments on a semi-regular basis. I hate lights that when turned on give you that blinding effect you speak of, and want something that doesn't do that on the low setting. Obviously the high setting would, and the A2 incan was too bright at times (although usually I could use it and not have that blinding effect).

I am looking for something to see with at night, but not something that overloads my optic nerves when turned on :)

Last edited:

dcycleman

Enlightened
I'm suprised you dont consider the e2l outdoorsman, 60 LM on high, 11 hour runtime, 3 LM on low 100 hour runtime, and the 60 LM is underrated, the 3 lumen setting would be perfect for what you have described. however the only downside is the fact that you have to double click to get to high mode, that takes away from its tactical role. but I have one and it really is an awesome light, the high setting is very throwy, lights up the woods!

DisgruntledVirus

Newly Enlightened
I'm suprised you dont consider the e2l outdoorsman, 60 LM on high, 11 hour runtime, 3 LM on low 100 hour runtime, and the 60 LM is underrated, the 3 lumen setting would be perfect for what you have described. however the only downside is the fact that you have to double click to get to high mode, that takes away from its tactical role. but I have one and it really is an awesome light, the high setting is very throwy, lights up the woods!

I thought I had that in my OP. Guess not.

The E2L is one I have thought about as well, but want a different tailcap. I would like to get something higher lumen, on both ends, but I need to find a store that has the U2, E1B, E2DL, L1, L2, and E2L so I can play with them haha.

I think that right now I am leaning to the E2DL, and buy it from someplace with a good return policy.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely consider the Ra Clicky! I agree that it is the best production EDC light available.

Now the Surefire line-up is nothing to overlook either especially when the newer lights come to market. The A2L looks like a real winner and if you liked the original, then it seems that you would love the newest model! It is one of the lights that interests me most in the new line up along with the T1A and the new L1.

If you are O.K. with the size, then I would say to go with the U2A as it is one of the absolute finest lights available... it is bigger than I would use for EDC, and that I why the Ra is tops in that category; but if you can handle the extra size, then it does not have an equal... in my opinion, of course:thumbsup:

DisgruntledVirus

Newly Enlightened
I would definitely consider the Ra Clicky! I agree that it is the best production EDC light available.

Now the Surefire line-up is nothing to overlook either especially when the newer lights come to market. The A2L looks like a real winner and if you liked the original, then it seems that you would love the newest model! It is one of the lights that interests me most in the new line up along with the T1A and the new L1.

If you are O.K. with the size, then I would say to go with the U2A as it is one of the absolute finest lights available... it is bigger than I would use for EDC, and that I why the Ra is tops in that category; but if you can handle the extra size, then it does not have an equal... in my opinion, of course:thumbsup:

I wil ldefinitely look into the Clicky, because I have seen a lot of positive comments about it lately.

The A2L is the light I would really like, but I don't want to wait until June (assuming it doesn't suffer the same fate as the UA2/UB2 last year). So I'm thinking I might just get something now, and then when that is released look to sell mine and buy that one.

The E2DL with diffuser is something I have thought of as well, but don't know how much size the diffuser adds to the bezel (or how much light it puts out with it)