help with choice for non-technical significant other

sjalbrec

Newly Enlightened
hi all,

:help:

i've reviewed this recent thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210639, but i'm not necessarily looking for an EDC.

i've just discovered cpf (march 02nd to be exact!) and just purchased a nitecore defender infinity (ndi). i didn't really advertise it to my wife, ahem, because of the cost...(i couldn't help noticing a lot of comments around these parts about the conflicts our hobbies seem to create with the significant other)

the other day my son had a bad splinter and i brought out the ndi to help illuminate the delicate operation. pleasant surprise, my wife was "that's such a great light! can i have one too?"

she primarily uses a light to navigate outside while taking walks and gardening (if you don't like harsh chemicals you have to do a lot of night-time snail hunting in northern california to have a good garden!).

i didn't even bother to try to explain the ndi's ui...i don't have it down 100% yet myself.

i'm looking for that rather annoying compromise (annoying to you guys i'm guessing) - a great flashlight, common battery (AA), with a simple UI, price range (thanks fbn!) is < $150 (no Spy 007!) for a non-technical person. my best guess so far is the fenix L2T 2. is that a bad choice? if so, what else do you guys recommend?

thanks in advance!

...long stretch of night,
really shook this shaky mind...

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E01 ... the best light is the one You have WITH YOU when You need
extremely good price/value ratio, nice output with long runtime, very simple UI

nice color for the lady,
HA III for the guys

flasherByNight

Enlightened
but i'm not necessarily looking for an EDC.

I have the L2D, it's great....don't particularily like the reverse clicky though. The UI is overkill for what I needed and what it sounds like you're looking for. A simple low/high I think would suit your needs the best

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Fenix E01 is an excellent choice for the keychain, for something she can ALWAYS have with her.

The Fenix L1T v2.0 and L2T v2.0 are also excellent choices for purse carry. They are easy to operate, with a very simple UI. Head loose for low, tight for high. No multi-clicks required, and no "hidden" features to accidently stumble into.

seaside

Enlightened
If I were you, I would ask her what kind of criteria she had in her mind regarding flashlight. She may have some expectation of her own, since she already saw what NDI is like. She may want something similiar at size, performace or look.

Some people love tactical style head, some hate it. Some may think 2AA size is too long, some may don't think so. Ladys usually prefer small, smooth or cute looking lights rather than a light with aggressive knurling or sharp teeth. What man wants is toy, what lady wants is accessory, in general.

So, I suggest you find out what she want first. You may show her some picture of flashlight so that she can choose one out of them.

Fenix products are good choice. Nitecore and other well known brands could be a good choice too as long as its not too bulky or heavy. Consider L1T instead of L2T in case, she think its bit too long.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix L1T V2.0, L2T V2.0, TK20, or AA powered Eagletac lights light be good choices. 2 mode(easy to use), AA powered, forward clickie, and a good company.

:welcome:

yowzer

Enlightened
Connexion X2? Single AA, three brightness modes that are easy to cycle through, nothing silly like strobes or sos...

Or, for escargot hunting, er, gardening, maybe a headlamp to keep both hands free.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
MJP Extreme III. Turns on by untwisting. Marks on the body for low and high. Programming is a pain but if you pretend that doesn't exist it's simple to use.

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
my wife likes the "hand feel" of the L2 config (2xAA), I don't - it's too skinny. This is the torch she carries on "snail hunts" (we live in Santa Rosa CA)

she also likes the LD01 because it's bright and small(er than L2)

E01 has nice colors (yes it matters)

make her happy (like I need to tell you this)

good luck

bogey out

scottaw

Enlightened
My wife uses her LD01 on her keychain most of the time. I didn't even tell her about modes for a month or so, i doubt she even needs to change from the standard twist once to get medium.

but she has a P2D in her purse, it doesn't have any programing to mess with, and the modes are easy to figure out/switch.

Most people don't want a direction book for their flashlight, except flashlight geeks like us:sssh:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might even consider the Proton Pro for its easy side clickie, small form, and style. She'd catch on to the dimming ability quickly if needed. Might not ever need the red LED or blinkie modes, but you'd know they're available. This light can be had for under $50, I think.

Geoff

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since she likes your light, and you want to keep the peace... here is my suggestion.

Give her, *errr* loan her, your light for a few days/week so she can try it and tell you what she likes about it, and what she does not like about it.

Then you bring that list back to us and we'll find a match made in heaven. If you're lucky we'll just make you buy one light for her. ;)

Sound like a plan?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Photon ReX. Great little light with a different form factor that is intuitive to use, and provides variable light output. Small, light in weight, versatile, and rechargeable via common batteries, to boot. Max output and runtime might be concerns however, so be sure that it meets your needs before buying.

Attach the ReX to a neck or wrist lanyard. I have one attached to a retractable "badge holder," which keeps the light "out of my way," yet instantly accessible. Oh, and you can find it for less than $30 (buy an extra one for back-up). I think that the Photon ReX is one of the most underappreciated lights on this board.

Notwithstanding the above, for outdoor use doing gardening and/or snail-hunting, I wonder if perhaps an incandescent light might work better. To my eyes, LED lights seem to "dissipate" a bit out in the open. Incandescent lights just seem to "saturate" an area better.

Another thought, I wonder if a UV flashlight would aid in snail hunting--lighting up snail trails and the like...?

concept0

Enlightened
Take a look at the Photon ReX. Great little light with a different form factor that is intuitive to use, and provides variable light output. Small, light in weight, versatile, and rechargeable via common batteries, to boot. Max output and runtime might be concerns however, so be sure that it meets your needs before buying.

Attach the ReX to a neck or wrist lanyard. I have one attached to a retractable "badge holder," which keeps the light "out of my way," yet instantly accessible. Oh, and you can find it for less than $30 (buy an extra one for back-up). I think that the Photon ReX is one of the most underappreciated lights on this board.

I totally agree! I started a thread a while ago called "Some love for the Photon ReX" (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214614) because I noticed no one seemed to appreciate it. My fiance loves my ReX for reading in the car because it is infinitely adjustable.

My fiance also prefers plastic lights, and likes the color plum, so I recently had a G2 custom dyed plum for her and put a UCL and M60WL in it. She likes using my G2, at least now that I showed her she doesn't have to hold down the button constantly! I couldn't help laughing the first time she came to me with a sore thumb from holding down the button for like 10-15 minutes...

But as to your original question, you might consider the new EZ AA Nitecore that was just announced here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=192929 (pictures are towards the end of the thread).

This one looks really easy to use. I think you twist it a little for low setting and then a bit further for high...