Dropping things

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stupid tendency to put things in my front pocket. Forget about it, bend to do something and there it goes onto the pavement.

Just did it a few seconds with my Malkoff M60 in Leef body. I was on the roof star-gazing, wearing a jacket with a front pocket like that, didn't think it would fall out - but it did, bouncing all the way down, landed on the dirt.

Panic, I grab a 3D with Malkoff drop-in and look for it. Found it quickly and didn't have very much damage at all, and the module still works. Most of the cosmetic damage occurred when it was bouncing on the roof and not during the fall. I look at it as a sign of reliability.

If you think that was bad, a few months ago I got a gold Krugerrand, proof, like the one below except it was in 1/2 oz size and put it in my front shirt pocket. It was enclosed in a plastic case so I didn't think it would fall out. But, it took its time to work itself loose from the case, and the next thing I know when I go to look at it - it's gone!!

Panic! double panic. I retraced my steps, remembered I was stacking firewood and look in the pile and finally find it. (Yeah, that's real genius right there)

krug1.jpg

And if you think that's bad, was going somewhere, left a pair of these on the roof of the car. Expensive European glass. (If you think collecting lites is expensive, try collecting Leica and Swarovski and Zeiss glass).
Next thing I know, I hear this noise like something is sliding off the roof and hitting the trunk and then another hit on the pavement. I was accelerating from the driveway as they fell on the pavement. It was about 10pm and luckily there were no cars behind me. Made the quickest turn around in automotive history, got back and picked them up.
Upon inspection - no damage. They were in the case and the speed wasn't that great (10mph?) but scary. Just visualizing Swaros under tires of a pickup is terrifying.

EL_objective1.jpg

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
ouch!

I dropped my D20 onto concrete from 3 feet up..
just a tiny lil dent.

and it also fell while I was biking.. just a tiny nick!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
forgetful and absent minded and clumsy. thats me on a good day.

i think before acting and moving just to avoid bruising myself everyday. hahha.

dont get exited and you might not get hurt. hahah..

i cant sell my lights to others when i buy new one. 1 reason is that i am packrat but other reason is that they look awful. dings scratches from falls etc. so i need to think them as tools not to worry about them.

(had laid my cell phone on top of the roof of my car couple times and had to double back to find in the curb.. they just dont make em anymore like they used to. newer ones break down when falling off car.)

im on my 3rd digi cam.. why dont they make one that is bombproof.

on my 3nd remote control (actually 4th as i fixed the original twice before buying new one)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
im on my 3rd digi cam.. why dont they make one that is bombproof.

That's just it. The more fragile they are then the more of them you will end up buying and the more money they get out of you.

I remember the rubber armored cell phones you could throw like a baseball and they never broke. They lasted too long so they stopped making them.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once had a U2 clipped loosely in some exercise shorts (nice baggy thin shorts) and it flew out of my pocket as I was in a full sprint. The bezel didn't like that much.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
AHHH!
The front shirt pocket is a handy location to put something, but it always falls out!

I was cleaning my windows a few months back, I was leaning out the 3rd story window and felt my EDC slip out!!
Its a KL4 modded with an MC-E on an E1e body and flat Aleph tailcap!
It hit the edge of a retaining wall and onto the pavment!
Luckily it only ended up with a scrape on the side and a small mark on the bezel....still works perfectly!
Same night, I put my EDC knife in the same pocket and out it fell...guess I need to pay better attention.
No more front shirt/jacket pockets for me..

My triple P7 KT4/M6 took a dive from about 12 feet, landing on the bezel. Lit right up and made me feel better about the robustness of it.

Last summer while mountain biking, My SF lanyard opened and allowed my M6 to fit the concrete and then I ran over it with my back tire. The front window got a chip and I still need to replace it.

Too many more stories of accidents from not paying enough attention....:eek:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know someone who has a similar problem. He regularly can't find where he put things and sometimes they fall off his car as he drives away. He's already lost two bluetooth headsets in less than a year. His newest headset gets lost too, but eventually turns up as long as it wasn't left on top of the car.

Here's how I see it. We pickup and use a lot of things over the course of the day. When we finish using whatever it is we have in our hand we want to stop holding it. This is where people differ and fall into either one or the other category.

Type 1) Thinks where did I get this from. I need to put it back. If I can't put it back where it belongs right away then I need to think of a place to put it where it won't get damaged or lost until I can put it back in the correct place. Type 1 people are organized and have a place for everything they own. They make a mental note of things they couldn't put back right away and later retrieve them when they have a chance.

Type 2) I've finished with it now, where's the closest surface around me I can set it. I'm too occupied to walk back to where I got it from and the table is already covered with stuff I've already taken out. I'll just balance it here for the moment because I'm already thinking about something else. Type 2 people usually don't think about what they put down until they need it again.

Both type 1 and type 2 people will use their pockets. Type 1 people tend to use their pockets for EDC items they later put away before bedtime. Type 2 people use their pockets whenever they're outdoors if there are no nearby tables, ledges, car roofs, etc. to immediately set things on. Type 2 people sometimes retrieve their pocketed items from bottom of the washer or dryer. Type 2 people tend to think their type 1 friends are anal. Type 1 people tend to laugh at their type 2 friends.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple solution, nudity and lanyards. :D But seriously, I take the approach that if the object is not secured firmly in place losing it is a high probability. Thus I make my best efforts what is carried is placed appropriately.

Father-in-law has Velcro tabs sewn into this pockets. While it won't prevent all losses, that extra bit keeping the pocket closed has proven helpful.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
My uncle used to take out his teeth and stick them in his shirt pocket. There are a lot of houses in Palm Beach with teeth in the foundations and walls.

Me? I'm very careful about shirt pockets. I can't remember losing anything that way. But about 15 years ago I loaned my then boss a bright red 3D Mag for inspecting the Kong ride at Universal. He dropped it 60 feet to concrete. A dent in the bezel and the bulb was blown. Replaced with the spare and finished the inspection. And that bulb is still in that light and it's still a valuable emergency light in our house.