New Ra Lights products (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is intended for the general discussion of the new Ra Lights products announced at the 2009 shot show.

This is a continuation thread from
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

Flashaholic
New continuation thread.

Mr. Beans: your PM box is full - I've been away and I'm trying to reply to a PM you sent me ~2 weeks ago..

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
edclineup.jpg

Thought I'd kick this thread off with my primary line up..
From left to right we have:
Surefire L1-Red, Ra-100Tw/18650, Ra-170CN, Ra-85Tr, D10 with Sundrop emitter, and original CMG Infinity Red.

I have to say the 170CN is everything we had hoped it would be in the very beginning, before they were deemed too difficult to produce. Incredibly bright, throwy with plenty of spill. Best light I've ever owned by far. The 100Tw is a great light too, my one and only SSC based Ra. It will however become a mod project soon.. The D10 with Nichia 083 is an amazing closeup task light.. Nice big beam, amazing color, so much better than stock.. The SF L1-R is such a specialized light that it doesn't get used much, I do however use the low level as room lighting late at night.. And the CMG is my mobile late-night lighting solution..

So far I'm very impressed with these Ra lights, but they do have an issue in my experience:
The tail button...I've experienced four different caps, one flush cap totally failed and wouldn't respond accurately to input at all. On another cap, I was able to click 8 or so times before it would register just 1 click... Very frustrating.. I had Henry send me a new cap, and it worked fine again, however, I can still 'misclick' the button sometimes, where it actually 'clicks' but the light does nothing...

Besides this, and the locator flash timing, I haven't yet found another major issue..

The black clip coating seems to be holding up, but it sure keeps the scratches I've put on it. Still looks ok, but after real and continuous use, it's going to look used.

Still getting great runtimes on RCR cells, able to use a single battery for two or three days befor swapping in a fresh one. These are great lights indeed!

Now... On to the future.
I want to see a HEADLAMP!
Just make a headstrap accessory that that has a mount for the head of the light on our forehead, and a mount on the back for the tailcap.. We wouldn't need a new light at all.. Just thread the head and tail into their respective places and bam! We'd have a headlamp of Ra quality, with amazing runtimes, 4 channels of any output we want, and it'd be cost effective too!...

Who's with me?

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened
I have to say the 170CN is everything we had hoped it would be in the very beginning, before they were deemed too difficult to produce. Incredibly bright, throwy with plenty of spill. Best light I've ever owned by far.
With you on that.

The tail button...I've experienced four different caps, one flush cap totally failed and wouldn't respond accurately to input at all. On another cap, I was able to click 8 or so times before it would register just 1 click... Very frustrating.. I had Henry send me a new cap, and it worked fine again, however, I can still 'misclick' the button sometimes, where it actually 'clicks' but the light does nothing...
Yep. Very similar experiences here.

There is an accessory already in the States. I think they call it a baseball cap. :)

Now... On to the future.
I want a rubber grip and bumpers. It doesn't have to bounce. Even sculpted caps like they did for the Novatac.

sappyg

Enlightened
however, I can still 'misclick' the button sometimes, where it actually 'clicks' but the light does nothing...

Besides this, and the locator flash timing, I haven't yet found another major issue..

The black clip coating seems to be holding up, but it sure keeps the scratches I've put on it. Still looks ok, but after real and continuous use, it's going to look used.

Still getting great runtimes on RCR cells, able to use a single battery for two or three days befor swapping in a fresh one. These are great lights indeed!

Now... On to the future.
Just make a headstrap accessory that that has a mount for the head of the light on our forehead, and a mount on the back for the tailcap.. We wouldn't need a new light at all.. Just thread the head and tail into their respective places and bam! We'd have a headlamp of Ra quality, with amazing runtimes, 4 channels of any output we want, and it'd be cost effective too!...

Who's with me?
\

i think the flush tailcap on mine has misclicked while switching between channels. i sometimes suspect that it could be because i have the locator flash enabled on that clicky. it does not occur on my EDC T which does not have the locator enabled. you've brought up a good point enzo and i'm going to dissable that setting and see what happens. it could just be some issue with the flush tailcap. it could just be me.
i'm tickled with the runtimes i'm getting with both of my EDC's on RCR's. the T goes about a week on a charge and it's usually set to full bore. the E has been running about 2 weeks now for about an hour a day set on level 8 at about 1L.
i think if i had a headlamp setup for the Ra as it is now the weight would eventually cause neck cramps and might even lead to a trip to the cyropractor. too heavey...

mwaldron

Enlightened
I can still 'misclick' the button sometimes, where it actually 'clicks' but the light does nothing...

I'm getting a bunch of these on my 140CT, I think that's why I'm having so much trouble programming it. I may call Henry tomorrow and see if he can suggest anything short of a replacement.

I've read a few posts on the matter but I'm still confused as to what emitter my 140CT uses. Is it an Osram (what kind?) or P4? I've never had a light with either of these so I don't have a comparison, all of my lights are Luxeons. I like whatever this is because I've never seen such a small emitter surface for the level of output I'm seeing from the Ra. Having a smaller surface must make it quite a bit easier to focus into a narrower beam (which I like) so I'd like to seek this out in the future.

I do like the spot on this, it's not as tight as I would like but it's very usable, the best reflector'ed LED I have seen for throw.

Now if I could just get it to program properly... Where is the PC interface!

ecallahan

Enlightened
edclineup.jpg

Thought I'd kick this thread off with my primary line up..
From left to right we have:
Surefire L1-Red, Ra-100Tw/18650, Ra-170CN, Ra-85Tr, D10 with Sundrop emitter, and original CMG Infinity Red.

I have to say the 170CN is everything we had hoped it would be in the very beginning, before they were deemed too difficult to produce. Incredibly bright, throwy with plenty of spill. Best light I've ever owned by far. The 100Tw is a great light too, my one and only SSC based Ra. It will however become a mod project soon.. The D10 with Nichia 083 is an amazing closeup task light.. Nice big beam, amazing color, so much better than stock.. The SF L1-R is such a specialized light that it doesn't get used much, I do however use the low level as room lighting late at night.. And the CMG is my mobile late-night lighting solution..

So far I'm very impressed with these Ra lights, but they do have an issue in my experience:

Now... On to the future.

Who's with me?

What happened to your 100 wwcn?

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Yes, my new 170 cn might be the best light I've owned so far thatwas not touched by Milkyspit.

I have to say the 170CN is everything we had hoped it would be in the very beginning, before they were deemed too difficult to produce. Incredibly bright, throwy with plenty of spill. Best light I've ever owned by far. ngle battery for two or three days befor swapping in a fresh one. These are great lights indeed!

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Wow 200Cn! :thumbsup:
200 what.......... where???????...... why????????
Yep... Check out the site! 200lm rare emitter.. Now you can pay $314 for a 200lm Clicky! :faint:

What happened to your 100 wwcn?
My 100-WWCN is enduring a nation wide passaround and is currently on its way to Massachusetts..:tinfoil:

I can't wait to get it back, but also I'm enjoying letting others get a chance to see the sun rise in the palm of their hand.

chaoss

Enlightened
Any Twisty news?
I know that this thread is 99.999% about the clicky but the title does say "New Ra Lights products" :).
I'm basically wondering if anyone thinks that there is going to be an updated (brighter) version of my favorite light coming out in the future.
I ask only because of the recent price drop on the 100TW's. Seems to me that current inventory levels need to be moved because of a possible new release down the road.

Please share your thoughts.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
Today I recieved my new RA C/E and I think this is one very nice light. Have not tried any of the fun stuff because I am still mesmerized playing with it in the stock config.

Very solid, everything seams to mate up very well. WOW RA, nice job!

mwaldron

Enlightened
My 100-WWCN is enduring a nation wide passaround and is currently on its way to Massachusetts..:tinfoil:

Which we all appreciate Enzo!

I can't wait to see the WW Clicky, and now that I'm playing with this 140ct (it's certainly going to replace my Fenix P2D) I'll be able to appriciate it even more when it arrives...If i don't just give up and order my own first :grin2:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have 4 Ra's so far, 3 Clicky's and a Twisty. But after reading these first few posts, I find myself lusting after a 170 or 200 lumen Ra. I have also had my eye on the 100L Twisty, as it's a great buy for $99. But I am waiting to pull the trigger till we here more about a potential new Twisty, as I am content with the one I have for now.

Excluding the locator flash messing with the tailcap, I have not had any problems with any of my Ra's. And honestly, I can live with that as it doesn't bother me.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told that there's a new driver in the works, not limited by the need to reverse-bias an Osram Dragon to drive the static-control diode, and this will allow them to push currents like you see in the high-end Clicky. Don't think I was sworn to secrecy or anything, just discussing an LED swap.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting a bunch of these on my 140CT, I think that's why I'm having so much trouble programming it. I may call Henry tomorrow and see if he can suggest anything short of a replacement.

I've read a few posts on the matter but I'm still confused as to what emitter my 140CT uses. Is it an Osram (what kind?) or P4? I've never had a light with either of these so I don't have a comparison, all of my lights are Luxeons. I like whatever this is because I've never seen such a small emitter surface for the level of output I'm seeing from the Ra. Having a smaller surface must make it quite a bit easier to focus into a narrower beam (which I like) so I'd like to seek this out in the future.

I do like the spot on this, it's not as tight as I would like but it's very usable, the best reflector'ed LED I have seen for throw.

Now if I could just get it to program properly... Where is the PC interface!
The T or tactical models currently use the Osram Golden Dragon plus emitter
which has a slightly tighter hot spot and thus a little further throw than the SSC P4's.

Status
Not open for further replies.