Boost Converter Question

Laredo7mm

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I have a project that I am hoping you could help me with. It is not for a flash light, but I think the components used in driving LED lights could be the solution I am looking for. Unfortunately, I am pretty much an electronics idiot. I am a Mechanical Eng, and struggled through my EE courses.

Anyway, I have a resistance heater wire at about 3.3 to 3.7 ohms that I want to drive at 5 to 6 volts from a single 18650 battery. I am not too picky on the voltage but I guess my ultimate goal is producing about 7.5 Watts.

I ordered some of the "3W 19-Mode Universal Regulated Circuit Board for Flashlights" (sku 7882) from DX and read the threads here on how to bypass the modes. Looks like that might get me to where I want to go. However, I don't know if I can change the resistance via a controller board.

Since my ohms are set in the wire, I think I basically stuck with changing the voltage to obtain highr wattage. In that case using the 7882 from DX would limit me to about 6.75 watts output. Right?

Are there any other drivers out there that have a boost capability to 6 volts from a 18650 but a higher output current? Some where around 1.5amps? I only need off and on, no other modes.

Thanks in advance.