Upgrade mod for an ARC-P?

Spence

Enlightened
I have an ARC-P that's about 4 years old and I don't like the LED because :sick2: it puts out a purplish/blue beam. What type of emmitter is it? Does anyone know who would replace this emmitter with a warmer white LED? What type LED should I choose to upgrade to? Does anyone know what type of emitter comes in ARC-P's today? :shrug:
Thanks guys & girls for your input.
Spence

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Spence, I used to do LED replacements for the ArcAAA. It's fairly straight forward, BUT you run the risk of damaging the board while disassembling (it's usually the inductor that goes).

I finally convinced myself that whatever LED was in an ArcAAA was "good enough" and quit messing with them. IMO, it's simply not a worthwhile mod (because of the risk involved). Of course that's never stopped a good CPF modder... :poke:

Spence

Enlightened
To GREEN:
I thank you and will accept your sound advice (since I always pay attention to your posts) and leave and use my Arc AAA-P stock. I talked to the company and they said the current production emitters have the same blue spot in their beam. I'll get over it while using my LD01 and waiting for delivery of an EZAA. What do you think of that light?
Thanks again.:wave:
Spence

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out "Miller Mods". Although I don't own a mod Arc AAA P, the info found here at CPF looks interesting.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I started using my older Arc Limited Edition AAA more recently. Compared to DS it has a nicer beam, and sits lower in the head so you do not have that extra ring on the periphery of the beam. Also am appreciating the lower output of the CS (or BS) LED, and draw from an AAA is 100mA's less than my DS.

Bill

greenLED

Flashaholic
To GREEN:
I thank you and will accept your sound advice (since I always pay attention to your posts) and leave and use my Arc AAA-P stock. I talked to the company and they said the current production emitters have the same blue spot in their beam. I'll get over it while using my LD01 and waiting for delivery of an EZAA. What do you think of that light?
Thanks again.:wave:
Spence
Happy to help.

:thinking: I just thought of this:
You could also ask the Arc peeps if they'd sell you an assembled pill with one of their new LED's. Disassembling the ArcAAA head is a matter of lifting the crimp and pushing the pill out. Push the new pill in, press the crimp down again *hard* and you're golden (and don't have to worry about a dead light).

I like what I hear about the EZAA, but won't have a chance to check it out for some time. Did you see the recall? The price of being on the bleeding edge, I guess... I'll be :popcorn: for more reviews later on.

As far as the LD01 goes, it's a great little light. So far, I've decided it's the light I'd put on my keychain if my ArcAAA (and it's backups) ever dies. :p The only thing that bugs me is the PMW flickering, but my wife can't "see" that, so :shrug: