surefire bad quality?

Slowrider

Newly Enlightened
hello all,

i have two surefire flashlights.
the E1L Outdoorsman and the E1E Executive Elite.
the bulb by the e1e have all 1-2month a burnout and i have to replace it:scowl:
the replacement bulb is very expensive. :shakehead
the e1l i buy 3 month ago. i don't use it often, but the on / off switch doesn't work.
i have to slap it on the floor that it's work.

sorry, but surefire is a expensive flashlight, i am disappointed :rolleyes:
i have also two streamligt's (ultra stinger and scorpion) i use it often and they allready works perfekt :thumbsup:

how is your expirience with products from surefire :confused:

sorry, my english is not so good, i hope you understand my problems

greetings from switzerland

daniel

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd contact Surefire about the E1L switch as it's only 3 months old.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
try spraying some lubricant into the cap..no wd40.

some kind of silicone spray is preferred.

also, clean the threads.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
and how is the answer from surefire?

You have to call them to get the answer from them. I don't think switches are included in their lifetime warranty, but with a 3 month old light I'd expect them to replace it. I'm assuming you've narrowed it down to the switch.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should replace the switch no problems. Just call them. Tell them about the bulb too, they often replace bulbs for customers if they die a quick death. Since I'm pretty sure they will already be sending you the new tails cap, it costs them little to include a couple of bulbs.

Scotty007

Newly Enlightened
well, surefire and bad are 2 words that dont belong in the same sentence...call surefire and tell them the problem...they should help you out if the suggestions from the other CPF'ers dont work!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The older-production SF clickies had a fair number of issues, SF subsequently updated the design at least twice. Either you got the older switch (old stock maybe?), or this is a defect with the new switch, in which case this is very important information, as I haven't heard of any posters who have had problems with the newest switch design. I'd like to point you to the thread which had photos of the inside of both the old and re-designed tailcaps, I'll try to find it. Perhaps someone could chime in if they know where that thread is...

Edit: Best I could find is a short verbal description in this short thread:
(There is a thread with photos comparing the two side-by-side, I just can't find it...)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2899684&postcount=14
I think some folks here would appreciate knowing if you had an issue with the old switch (well-documented) or the newest switch (newsworthy).

Edit: Getting closer, this seems to be the master thread on SF clicky issues, top of page 4 and onwards is most relevant...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182512&page=4
I just got off the phone with Surefire support. They're sending me a new tail cap switch for the U2. I asked if this switch is any different than the original and the support rep said that they've been recently redesigned and this will be the new one. The failure problem is now resolved, he said. Of course, I don't know if that's the usual schpeel, or if it's indeed an updated switch. Has anyone else here been told anything similar?
SureFire have redesigned their Clickie switches several times - the most significant can be determined by the colour of the plastic innards. Previously it was black, now it's off-white I believe.
Well, Surefire delivered on their promise. UPS delivered to me a parcel containing the replacement tail cap. It is indeed redesigned. You can definitely see the difference when looking at the contact side with the two switches placed adjacent. The new one has a white plastic disc with three copper bands 60 degrees apart (like the Mercedes symbol), whereas the older one had a metal plate with various openings in it. The new switch has a very clean and crisp click action and the sound made is a little different, kind of metallic. Perhaps there are metal parts in place of plastic ones? Externally, they look almost exactly the same. The only difference is the "www.surefire.com" imprint is a little thicker on the new one.
And what should have been the last word,
SureFire have redesigned their clickie switches - the current version with the metal collar innards is the result of a long journey of product evolution and improvement. Too long... perhaps, but I believe they've made a breakthrough with the current design.

For further info on this, you might want to PM Size15. Please post back here if you find out anything further.

Good luck,

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to call them to get the answer from them. I don't think switches are included in their lifetime warranty, but with a 3 month old light I'd expect them to replace it. I'm assuming you've narrowed it down to the switch.
They'll send him a new tailcap for free, no questions asked.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
hello all,

i have two surefire flashlights.
the E1L Outdoorsman and the E1E Executive Elite.
the bulb by the e1e have all 1-2month a burnout and i have to replace it:scowl:
the replacement bulb is very expensive. :shakehead
the e1l i buy 3 month ago. i don't use it often, but the on / off switchl

Incan bulbs do burn out, if you didn't know about this before you bought the E1E or didnt do enough research, then you can't blame SF, bad quality I dont think so.
The E1L problem you have sounds like an electrical problem, if your having to slap it on the floor to get it to work then the problem sounds like its in the head, the tailcap is mechanical, not electrical. I also wouldn't be slapping the E1L on the ground, it can do more harm than good. Why are you slapping your lights on the ground anyway? Is that what you did to the E1E?

DM51

Flashaholic
Slowrider... try a little light oil in the tailcap, as csshih suggests. The moving parts in there do occasionally require maintenance, as with most things. Don't use too much, and wipe off any excess.

djblank87

Enlightened
greetings from switzerland

daniel

I'd contact Surefire about the E1L switch as it's only 3 months old.

They should replace the switch no problems. Just call them. Tell them about the bulb too, they often replace bulbs for customers if they die a quick death. Since I'm pretty sure they will already be sending you the new tails cap, it costs them little to include a couple of bulbs.

we CPF'ers maintain our flashlights almost religiously.. but..call up surefire.. I'm sure they'll send you a new one.

They'll send him a new tailcap for free, no questions asked.

Is SureFire going to send him a replacement/anything being that he is outside the CONUS?

I thought SureFire did not do that.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Slowrider... try a little light oil in the tailcap, as csshih suggests. The moving parts in there do occasionally require maintenance, as with most things. Don't use too much, and wipe off any excess.

I agree, when i purchased my L4 the switch was a little rough.
Didn't have that smoothness to it and if i clicked it a few times quickly it would actually miss one meaning the light wouldn't turn on at all.
If this was a $20 light i wouldn't care,actually i would expect it but not from a $200CAD light.

Luckily i'm the handy type (as most of us are here) and knew what the problem was.
The switch was sticking a bit..a little silicone spray and it was as smooth as butter.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
Incan bulbs do burn out, if you didn't know about this before you bought the E1E or didnt do enough research, then you can't blame SF, bad quality I dont think so.
The E1L problem you have sounds like an electrical problem, if your having to slap it on the floor to get it to work then the problem sounds like its in the head, the tailcap is mechanical, not electrical. I also wouldn't be slapping the E1L on the ground, it can do more harm than good. Why are you slapping your lights on the ground anyway? Is that what you did to the E1E?

He did not state how often he uses them but sometimes Xenon bulbs do die an early life because there is something wrong with them or the flashlight.
Also a switch is an Electrical part since thats where the current passes.
I get the feeling that some lubricant will solve his problems. I've had various switches sort of get stuck and not work right because the clicky was bone dry. Matter of fact I had a very similar problem with my E2E switch.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is SureFire going to send him a replacement/anything being that he is outside the CONUS?

I thought SureFire did not do that.

Do you have any reason to think they don't send replacement parts outside CONUS?

henry1960

Enlightened
Surefire has a great reputation and i would say through previousley experiance they will resolve this promblem and stand behind there many years of good service and reputation that they worked so hard and long for :caution:

djblank87

Enlightened
I bought a 6P a few years back off of a member that lived outside the CONUS. The tailcap was defective (When I bought it), when the person called SureFire (Prior to selling to me) to get a replacement for the tailcap they stated they would not ship it to him.

He lived in the UK. I'm taking his word on this, being that I was not right next to him when he called.