Maglite LED upgrade advice

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Hi All:

I have been interested for some time in upgrading my 2AA MagLite to the NiteIze LED Clickie tailcap upgrade. Any advice on going this route? Is this better than the standard bulb/twist on?
Can I still focus the beam and tail stand as a "candle" once the upgrade is done?

I also have a 6D MagLite, but not sure if there is a recommended bulb upgrade for this big guy.

My favorite light is the Fenix LOD IV and my P2D-unreal lightpower.

Thanks in advance for any experience/advice.

Sean

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly unless you are upgrading a c or d maglite, I don't think its worth it. There are almost always better options for the same price or close to it.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello regarding the aa minimag led upgrade and the iq clickie switch got one myself and use it all the time the switch is bullet proof and you can tail stand it you need to. the led is a bit fragile broke mine the other day by dropping it from hip height onto a hard kitchen floor so need to get another led soon to fix it. running on an incan bulb atmo .cheers cliff

Hi-Tech Guru

Newly Enlightened
I recommend saving your money and investing in a new light.

I have 3 mini-mags all upgraded w/ Nite Ize drop ins. I don't use them anymore. For the price of a Nite Ize combo LED & IQ switch (about $15) you can purchase a generic Cree light at Deal Extreme.

Or checkout your local Target and see what's on clearance. Most of these lights will be the older Luxeon lights but they are still brighter than your mini-mags. And you can return them if you're not happy with your purchase.

If you're fortunate, you may be able to locate one of the elusive Energizer 1 Watt, 1 AA Cree LED lights. (I had to check multiple Targets, and drive 2 hours to buy mine.) It's definitely worth the $12 I paid for it.

If you're willing to invest in a better quality light, check out 4Sevens has to offer. Something "Fenix" or "Nitecore" is a good place to start.

pec50

Enlightened
Most upgrades are not particularly cost effective, but, for some indivduals, even the simple upgrades can be enormously enjoyable when compared to buying complete lights. That said, I purchased the IQ switch and 3 led replacement when they were first marketed several years ago. As best I recall, it's been blinking in the garage for well over two years on the same AAs and still providing very useful light when I use it on occasion. This mod does not have much of bling factor, but if you are looking for a very easy mod and easy to find-in-the-dark light, this may be just fine. Be aware that the IQ switch does not handle high current applications and will attenuate the output over a simple on-off switch so you will want to restrict it's use to something like the three-led-insert or MJLED replacement.