Streamlight Stylus UV visible from over a mile away?

axd

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Well, that's what the text on the package claims - however, I need total darkness to fully appreciate the UV stylus (but I can see hidden text on e.g. banknotes in normal daylight). Batteries are 1.48V each for the moment, so they seem normal; I cannot imagine this can be seen so far away.

Is there a way to measure (other than by some device) if my stylus is working at the normal power?

Thx.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
Hello,

Well, that's what the text on the package claims - however, I need total darkness to fully appreciate the UV stylus (but I can see hidden text on e.g. banknotes in normal daylight). Batteries are 1.48V each for the moment, so they seem normal; I cannot imagine this can be seen so far away.

Is there a way to measure (other than by some device) if my stylus is working at the normal power?

Thx.

This sounds like they mixed up the statistics for different versions of this light, or just didn't bother to change the stats on the packaging for the UV version.

Most UV led's don't give off enough visible light to be seen from that distance. The "visible from a mile away" claim is usually attached to visible light led's (white, blue, green, etc...). Even with visible wavelengths, visibility at that distance can be affected by many factors.

axd

Newly Enlightened
humpf... I now notice the UV-model sticker.

by the by... I was surprised by the use of AAAA - less common at my place - and also, AAA could have done the job too, for a slightly bigger pen...

thx.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newer streamlight stylus pro model uses AAA batteries now. The AAAA was really odd, even here in the states they're very uncommon. I never got one because the only way to get batteries was to mail order or dissasemble a 9v alkaline.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
aaaa are available at radioshack and pharmacies like CVS (usually with the one-off batteries for hearing aids)

Bruceter

Newly Enlightened
Both my local NAPA store and the Bass Pro Shop stock the Streamlight brand AAAA batteries.

Bruceter