E1b Head - NEX Body Dilemma

Luke_Y

Newly Enlightened
I have my NEX head mounted on my E1b body, mainly for the ability to use alternate tail caps. Makes for a nice light. Not wanting to waste the E1b head I tried it on the NEX body... No Go. It threads on all the way but no light.

Any ideas? Do I just need to find another E1 series body?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Sounds like the NEX'es head threads aren't quite long enough to make negative contact with the E1b head.

Now what might you be able to use to bridge that small space and find out if that's it?

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you need a spacer to bridge the gap. You can make one up using a PCB and a magnet. Hopefully that should do the trick.

Luke_Y

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... I don't know. Is this a test? :eek: Honestly not even sure how exactly the things work. :)

The battery makes contact with the head I know that. Are you saying that the top surface of the body needs to contact the silver ring up inside the head? If it's not it must be real close. The head screws all the way on.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hmm... I don't know. Is this a test? :eek: .
Maybe! :)

Are you saying that the top surface of the body needs to contact the silver ring up inside the head? If it's not it must be real close. The head screws all the way on.

You got it. The top of the tube neeeds to hit that silver ring. Is the top of the tube bare metal or is it the same color as the body?? If it's anno'ed or painted then you need to sand that thin layer off to expose the metal.
If not then you need a really tiny washer or shim or possibly a really little dot of solder on top of the tube to bridge the gap. Even putting a tiny bit of aluminum foil in there might work for you.

Once I took a head apart and put a dot of solder on that silver ring to gain better contact. It worked but it was hard to get to!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had a bit of an issue...what i did was to ever so slightly tighten it a tiny bit more...it worked and got easier after awhile. you might want to measure the threads to see if its a large gap or small one

Crenshaw

Luke_Y

Newly Enlightened
...Is the top of the tube bare metal or is it the same color as the body?? If it's anno'ed or painted then you need to sand that thin layer off to expose the metal.

The threads on the E1b body looked anodized, but the top of the tube was silver/bare.

I might look at it again later and see about some conductive spacer. Although, for reliability sake I may just look for a stripped E1e or similar E1 series body to host the NEX head and put the E1b back together...

Last edited:

Luke_Y

Newly Enlightened
i had a bit of an issue...what i did was to ever so slightly tighten it a tiny bit more...it worked and got easier after awhile. you might want to measure the threads to see if its a large gap or small one

Crenshaw

Cranked it as tight as it would go. Still no light.

Nathan

Enlightened
I tried this combo last night after reading this thread and had the same results - nothing.
Tonight I tried tightening the head as much as I could (without using tools). Still nothing. There's an o-ring on the threads of the NEX body. I didn't think it would make a difference, but when I removed it - surprise! Light! And it functioned normally - high first, then low, no flickering (using a primary).

Then I put the o-ring back on. It still worked!

I'm not really sure what I did. Maybe I tightened it more than I did yesterday. I did have Wheaties this morning... :D