Ever play with your water proof lights in water?

KingGlamis

Banned
Friday night was the first time I tried it. We were at a friends house having a small gathering. Five of us decided to get in the hot tub and I thought it was a good opportunity to find out if my Fenix PD30 really was water proof. It was very dark outside, dark enough that you couldn't see the person across the hot tub. So imagine everyone's surprise when I snuck my PD30 under the water and lit it up on Turbo. It totally lit up the water, actually much brighter than I thought it would be. Totally shocked everyone. :eek: Then I tried it on strobe and they freaked out. It was odd having the surface of the water "strobe" light. Aside from the brightness they were all impressed that my light was water proof. Most people assume a flashlight would fry under water. It was a good test.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I take them in the shower to test water proofness say in a rain storm, etc. Even then I am a little scared so I completely disassemble and make air dry.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Haha before I joined CPF my Surefire 6PL was my "swimming" light. Whenever id go swimming downriver or 4 wheelin in deep water id allways have that and my waterproof phone. The funnest thing to do after a night of wheelin when your phone and flashlight are covered in mud is to go to the bathroom and while your washing up wash off your phone and light. Whenever theres other people in there they just kinda stare like "seriously?" haha

And all my flashlights join me in the shower for at least the first week I get them and I click/twist them just to ensure they wont leak then they get the dunk test in the sink :thumbsup:

And strobe in the hot tub eh? Might have to try that one =)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
New lights that seem like they ought to survive water go into the shower with me. After checking the O-rings and lube status of course.

I feel that's good enough to simulate the worst conditions I am going to put them into. Now if I had a pool or lived near water then I would be forced to do full submersion testing.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife is suddenly telling everyone how she found me in the shower with all the lights off and my GD modded PT-EOS in my head. :D INOVA's love the water too, which reminds me I need to post some pics..

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you count accidental wash and dry cycles in a washing machine. One of my Arc AAA has been been washed three times and dried twice. Never affected it, no water inside, and functions perfectly.

Bill

polkiuj

Enlightened
Went for Kayaking and we had to jump into the lake to learn how to get up on the Kayak back. When I went in, I didn't realized that my Fenix LD10 was in my pocket. Oops!

Well, IPX-8 is not a lie. No problems at all (besides smelling a little odd cos the lake way yucky!).

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
take my lights into the shower, too. :p

then fill up the tub, kick em around, turn on/off and such..

no failures yet.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only light I took into water is princeton tec tec40, since it's actually rated for diving. All other lights I take the rating with grain of salt and treat them as splash proof only.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
always...
thats what I love about P60 hosts... if they :poof: you can rebuild easily. Although the 6P is the only light I have used deeper than the surface.

R@ndom

Enlightened
Thank god I'm not the only one that turns the lights off when I'm showering. Also after a long hot shower the steam makes my even my e01 have a hid like beam.

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
I have swam with both my E2d and E2dl, and played with all my lights in the shower / tub. No problems. :twothumbs

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also after a long hot shower the steam makes my even my e01 have a hid like beam.

+1 on that, but frying stuff can be good, too.

Such tricks not only give my lesser lights an HID like beam, but also give my HID a databank-like beam. :D

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
and my waterproof phone. The funnest thing to do after a night of wheelin when your phone and flashlight are covered in mud is to go to the bathroom and while your washing up wash off your phone and light.

Hi, which model of phone is waterproof?? That would be great when i go fishing whether by the shoreline or on a boat.

Also, if you look at my icon, that is my Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST, head down in a translucent blue plastic mug of water, i was testing the runtime on max (approx 1hr 45 mins on a Trustfire protected 18650, by the way) and the way it lit the blue mug up was (IMHO) so cool.

Sometimes, i put my EDC lights under a bottle of heineken or a mug of beer and turn it on and the whole thing just lights up too.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've showered with my Peak McKinley RGB a few times before, having all those slowly transitioning colors, it's a very spa-like experience..
Sometimes, i put my EDC lights under a bottle of heineken or a mug of beer and turn it on and the whole thing just lights up too.

So it's like a drop-shot, fill the mug with beer, drop in your EDC and then chug it.. Sounds like a CPF drinking game in the making..

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get chased out of pools for hoping in after they're closed so I can test out lights underwater at night. :crazy:
I'm not much of a shower with my lights sort of guy, tough I have one with a permanent spot atop the cistern should I need one while in the tub or on the throne.
And of course every once in awhile I actually go to the great outdoors and go swimmin' in a river. It's always fun to have a light or two in there for checking out what's around in those nice deep, dark, mostly clam areas. And I swear someone was a right on when they named this one creek that I get out to at least once a year Icicle Creek. :mecry: