High performance 3N flashlights

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so but why bother? There are much better power sources then 3 x N cells; better in this case meaning higher energy density and cheaper.

I imagine the LL only uses 3N's for that light because they're running it direct drive rather tham regulated.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the Led Lenser V2 Powerchip

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2007/04/19/coast_led_lenser_ll7461/

are there any really bright 3N flashlights(including custom ones)?

None that I know of -- honestly, there's not much reason for them. A 2xAAA light has more energy than a 3xN, in the same length and smaller diameter; a single AA has more energy and is much shorter. Either of these sizes are also available in Li primaries and LSD rechargeables, where AFAIK N cells are only alkaline, NiCd, and non-LSD NiMH.

I suspect the reason that LED Lenser went with 3xN was because they like making DD/resistored lights, and wanted something shorter than a 1-stack 3xAAA, and skinnier than a 3-stack 3xAAA.

EDIT: Guess MattK beat me while I was off checking capacities. ;)

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
previously owned that LL light (i think it was my second LED flashlight). some years ago converted it to a homemade headlamp. since died and received and honorable burial befitting its years of fine service.

Streamlight makes an inexpensive 3N ProPolymer light which i currently own. SL claims 12lm for max brightness on fresh cells - seems like a quite reasonable claim to me based upon the amount of light i see it putting out. if they had claimed 15lm, i wouldn't disagree based upon the performance of my particular unit.

quite bright. brighter than several 2xAAA lights that i own (though i don't certainly have experience with every type of 2xAAA light in existence). i've compared side-by-side with 2xAAA lights and penlights from UK, Pelican and Streamlight. the SL 3N ProPolymer is noticeably brighter than the several 2xAAA lights that i've compared it to. sorry, no light meter - just "eyeball". haven't done any burntime testing either. please keep in mind that i've obviously only tested just one unit of each type of light and maybe my SL 3N PP is a "hot" performer and, therefore, not typical of the average 3N PP???

didn't own the LL and Streamlight lights at the same time, so i've never compared them.

as others have already stated, decent_brightness+small_power_source = shorter runtimes (don't ask -- i've never timed it).

Greg over at BrightGuy.com sells the Streamlight ProPolymer 3N LED flashlight (currently on sale there <$17USD). Didn't see it being sold on MattK's website.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I have one of those propolymers, a Pelican one, and 2 Led Lensers. My propolymer seems brighter than the Pelican but not as bright as any of my LED Lensers. My propolymer was an early one (03) so I'm assuming ithas outdated LEDs in it. Also I have a Fliklite on the way.