I am torn...TK40 or Eagletac MC Series

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...I thought I wanted a Fenix TK40. I like the design and the fact that it uses AA's. Then I read the reviews on the three Eagletac M2's. They seem to be built a little sturdier than the Fenix and I like the design also. I have read the reviews for these lights and I am still undecided. I am also confused on the lumen ratings for the three Eagletacs, but looking at the beamshots, they all look close. I am leaning towards the cool M2. Does anybody that has both lights have any opinions as far as how these lights compare in brightnesss, build quality, etc. I looked at the beam shots of the TK40 next to some of the Eagletac's, but they were so close together, I could not get an idea of how one looked compared to the other. My birthday is coming up and I want a light that is like me...impractical, useless, but very bright!!!:crackup::crackup::crackup: I want something that will make my jaw drop. Right now my brightest light is a Tiablo A9 rated at a meager 250 lumens! Any help would be appreciated!!

Mike

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, you do this: buy a TK40, play with it for one/two months then sell it on CPFM and get yourself an Eagletac. Play with it one/two months then ... :D

This of course in case you are not willing to buy and keep them all. ;)

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, you do this: buy a TK40, play with it for one/two months then sell it on CPFM and get yourself an Eagletac. Play with it one/two months then ... :D

This of course in case you are not willing to buy and keep them all. ;)

Don't forget the Olight M30 Triton! lovecpf

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my TK40 about an hour ago... been playing with it in the warehouse (lights off of course) and am nicely impressed so far... I can't say anything about the M2X, but other comparisons have shown me that the bigger the reflector, the more impressive the same output looks like (not to mention the throw): TK40 beats the CR**P out of my EDC 120 lumen at only 90 lumen setting and even the 13 lumen setting comes close to it at 20 feet+ distance :D (ok, the TK40 has more power input, but still... No regrets...) If I had the budget I'd get both just to EDC a uselessly strong meany.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Does anybody that has both lights have any opinions as far as how these lights compare in brightnesss, build quality, etc. I looked at the beam shots of the TK40 next to some of the Eagletac's, but they were so close together, I could not get an idea of how one looked compared to the other.

In my collection of big led lights the TK40 is number two in lumen output (Legion II is #1), but it is not that high in throw. The TK40 is a solid construction, just a bit smaller than a Mag 2D.
In a week or two I will also have an M2 and do some comparison between them.

Agent WD-40

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm also torn. How does the TK40 compare to a P7 Mag?

I like the ability to vary output levels of the TK40 but I also find having something "custom" like a P7 Mag cool. I gotta wonder if a P7 Mag with a Malkoff drop in would be better built than the TK40.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked EagleTac. Prefer to carry two 18650s than eight AAs. Besides, it's not advisable to use more than 15 mins turbo for TK40.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree this is a hard choice.

I'm obsessed with the EagleTacs, the TK40 and the Legion II. All of these lights (including the multi-emitter EagleTacs) are competing for the same role and seem to do more or less of the same core group of things (i.e., HAND CANNONS). They are all roughly in the same price range (e.g., when I first read about the legion II, I expected a $500+ tag).

I'm a Fenix-fan but the TK40 looks a little bit awkward to me and the 8 AAs just doesn't seem to be the most efficient way of powering this type of light--but I understand that efficiency was not the main concern for them and for some the AA makes this light the ONE!

I want to see the M2s take on the Legion II! I think that the M2 series is something very special and I really like the smart form factor and design.

I'm torn between the multi-emitters and the P7, so I ordered both! I am also hoping to order a Legion II but I am worried about the slow production and some of the issues that have cropped up with that light. Hopefully, Neoseikan will clear up all this and we will have a serious light on our hands soon!
:tinfoil:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm obsessed with the EagleTacs, the TK40 and the Legion II. All of these lights (including the multi-emitter EagleTacs) are competing for the same role and seem to do more or less of the same core group of things (i.e., HAND CANNONS). They are all roughly in the same price range (e.g., when I first read about the legion II, I expected a $500+ tag).

I would not say they are competing for the same role, they are very different lights.

TK40: AA batteries, complex interface with 8 modes, shallow reflector.

L2: 18650 batteries, simple interface with 5 levels, deep reflector.

M1X: 18650/18500/CR123 batteries, very simple interface with 2 modes or complex interface with many modes, deep reflector.

M30: 18650/18500/CR123 batteries, very simple interface with 4 modes, shallow reflector. The smallest of the lights.

M2: 18650/CR123 batteries, simple interface with 5 modes, ??? reflector.

Only M1X, M30 (and maybe M2) has a forward switch, and only on M1X is it possible to select max. output before turning it on.

TK40, L2, M30, M2 (without switch) can be placed on the tail.

The M1X has the lowest lumen output, but is one of the best throwers (I do not known how M2 fit in).

It is not easy to select just one light from this list :laughing:

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not say they are competing for the same role, they are very different lights.

TK40: AA batteries, complex interface with 10 modes, shallow reflector.

L2: 18650 batteries, simple interface with 5 levels, deep reflector.

M1X: 18650/18500/CR123 batteries, very simple interface with 2 modes or complex interface with many modes, deep reflector.

M30: 18650/18500/CR123 batteries, very simple interface with 4 modes, shallow reflector. The smallest of the lights.

M2: 18650/CR123 batteries, simple interface with 5 modes, ??? reflector.

Only M1X, M30 (and maybe M2) has a forward switch, and only on M1X is it possible to select max. output before turning it on.

TK40, L2, M30, M2 (without switch) can be placed on the tail.

The M1X has the lowest lumen output, but is one of the best throwers (I do not known how M2 fit in).

It is not easy to select just one light from this list :laughing:

I will go ****oo over a thread that reviews all of the above at one go :crazy: Someone please. Oh, don't forget to throw in a DBS too.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I will go ****oo over a thread that reviews all of the above at one go :crazy: Someone please. Oh, don't forget to throw in a DBS too.

You mean the DBS MC-E? I am also curious as to why it seems to have dropped off the stage as being a viable comparison to these new lights......hmmmmmmmmmm. Anyone who has one can join in at any time...

As far as quad emitter throwers guys....don't downplay the Sunlite 16w. IMO it is the farthest thrower. Glenn7 has compared the M1X and 16w, and the 16w comes out on top.

AND, may I also add, Sunlite is releasing soon, a 4A driver for it which will enable the 580 OTF lumens to go to around 800+.

Back to the OP's first question.....if I had to choose between the TK40 and the M2 series....I'd go with the M2X. It depends if you want throw or flood. They both are bright as heck....so do you want to see 200ft, or 600ft?

HKJ

Flashaholic
You mean the DBS MC-E? I am also curious as to why it seems to have dropped off the stage as being a viable comparison to these new lights......hmmmmmmmmmm. Anyone who has one can join in at any time...

I do not believe that the DBS MC-E can match these lights, but I have not checked it. I think I will do some measurements soon and also a few beam shoots.

As far as quad emitter throwers guys....don't downplay the Sunlite 16w. IMO it is the farthest thrower. Glenn7 has compared the M1X and 16w, and the 16w comes out on top.

AND, may I also add, Sunlite is releasing soon, a 4A driver for it which will enable the 580 OTF lumens to go to around 800+.
That sounds very interesting, maybe I need a light more.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty, these lumen numbers mean very little, since these lights all have different beam profiles. It doesn't make sense to buy a light based on which has the highest number of emitter or OTF lumens, since all of these lights put those lumens in different areas of the beam.
I would choose based more on which light has the best battery format, UI, and build quality. All of these lights appear to have excellent build quality, so that shouldn't be an issue.
The TK40 seems like it has a very complicated UI, and its 8 AA batteries don't seem very practical. Sure, AA's are easier to obtain, but it must be a pain to put that many in a light. For me, these two factors would rule this light out, regardless of how close to its advertised lumen value it is actually outputting.
The M2 lights seem like they are the most compact, although the tube is wider. However, most of these lights have reflectors that are already larger than this, so this width doesnt really matter. The UI on the M2 seems good, although it apparently has no indentations or clicks in the wheel, and goes straight to strobe mode. I think this would get pretty annoying after a while. Since the M2 also has a tri emitter setup, it is somewhat unique. The tri emitter and P7 models will have such different beam patterns that lumens will not really matter, especially compared to the other lights.
It really depends on what type of beam you are looking for.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
beam wise i go tk40 , as mentioned before it has the inbetween of flood/throw + least effected donut hole as after short distance its gone

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

AnD I thought this was it for this year... if anyone would be willing to make a review of all the new high powered lights according to beam profile / output / battery type I'll probably end up buying 2 or 3 more....:broke:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all the replies. I would like a light with good throw, but with a usable spill. I do not want a laser gun! I love using AA batteries, but I do not like the carrier. I normally would not get a two 18650 light as I would not trust a normal two Lithium ion setup. Most stories I have heard of these batteries going :poof: seem to be in 2 cell or more lights. The Eagletac puts the cells side by side and they do not come in direct contact with each other. I am just theorizing that this may be a bit of a safer setup. The Eagletac also comes with a holster!! :thumbsup:. I will probably get one of the MCX cools now, and maybe a few months down the road try the TK40. I may even sell a few of my good lights I have now, and order both!

Mike

Wattnot

Enlightened
AnD I thought this was it for this year... if anyone would be willing to make a review of all the new high powered lights according to beam profile / output / battery type I'll probably end up buying 2 or 3 more....:broke:

Sure! Send me the lights! Be advised any I like don't come back though!! :ohgeez:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the most danger with lithium ion batteries is with the charging, not the actual usage of the lights. I don't think you should be worried about using 2 18650's in any light. I think the chances of a decent brand of reliable batteries exploding through normal usage are pretty slim.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently received my TK40 and I can tell you its a ripper. The beam throws well but has an extremely bright spill making the light more useful to me - no laser pointer required here. The spill must be bright enough to provide usable light. I sold my DBS V2 for this reason as the spill wasn't sufficient IMHO.

The eight AA's may seem weird to some people but after using this light, the eight AA's a fine. I purchased 8 eneloops and after hours and hours of use, they just wont die! You get such a long run time from them, you won't be dropping them out every day! The UI is very simple. For me, I don't use strobe, SOS etc. You turn the light on at the last level used, then hold down the clicky to get the next level. You then hold it down again to get the next level - that's it! You only double click if you want the flashing modes.

Some have mentioned the fragility of this light - Whilst the main tube is thinner than say a maglite, the bezel and tail cap areas are extremely thick aluminium - that's where lights hit when you drop them! Drop a maglite bezel first on a hard surface and see what happens! The thin material holding the lexan lense in place deforms in an instant - I know, it happened to me!

Anyway, the TK40 is water resistant, has a very nice clicky, is very comfortable to hold, has a great beam and battery run times - it's a great light!!

James...:D

Last edited: