Red LED Flashlight, Variable Output

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

The CPF "Search" function is not letting me search on the words 'red' or 'red*', and so I am having trouble finding an answer on my own. Sorry.

I seem to have Carpenter Ants invading my home. Everything I have read on line says that the first step in eliminating them is to follow the individuals back to their nest. This is done at night (when they are active), with a red light (so as to not disturb them).

I have a strong prefrence for an LED, as opposed to filtered incandescent. I also feel that variable output is a good idea, so that I can use the same flashlight to read instructions AND find an ant at 10 yards.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a flashlight that meets these specs:

- Strongly red (not leaning toward orange) LED light
- Variable output from just a few lumens to maybe 60 lumens or more
- One or two AA or CR123 batteries
- Good build quality (Fenix or above)

Thanks for your help.................Frank

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Look at the $10 Ultrafire WF-501B with Luxeon K2 red emitter from DealExtreme. Regular shipping takes 2 to 3 weeks.

dtsoll

Enlightened
I second the LRI proton pro but I don't think it does 60 lumens tho, definately variable output tho. I have one and love it!! Doug:)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard of looking for ants with red lights. Don't want to disturb them? You're too kind.

I had a problem with ants. I went outside during the day and found where they were coming in. I filled any openings with latex caulk and solved the problem.

Screw the ants.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I "looked" for ants in my house, I used my 35 watt HID. It worked surprisingly well, and the ants did not seem to be afraid of the light.

Well they were for a few seconds, until they stopped moving altogether...

You don't necessarily need to find where they come from, just the trail that they feed on. You need to find a bait that won't kill the ants instantly. You want the ants to bring the food/poison back to their nest so they can feed it to their queen (and the rest of the ants). I use a borax mixture that seems to have been working so far.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
The Ultrafire is sure a bargin, but it doesn't seem to offer variable output.

The Proton Pro is actually more than I need, but having the white LED and al that programability is kind of a bonus. After reading about it, I'm gonna order one. It seems a pretty good deal for under $50, delivered.

I don't mind disturbing the ants, but I've read that white light will cause them to scatter, and not trail back to their nest. I do like the idea of turning them into zombies, however.

Thanks for all your help, fellas. I sure appreciate it.

Frank

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good choice. The Proton Pro is a very useful light. But, don't expect the red to be anywhere close to 60 lumens. I'd guess it's no more than 10 fully ramped. I was going to suggest using some other high power light with a filter to get more red if that's needed.

Hope you enjoy your Proton.

Geoff

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ants in my house don't seem to mind normal room lights at all. I think that they wont be afraid of light as long as there is not an intense beam focused on them.
If you really want to get rid of the ants, you could get a few hundred mW Laser.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the further suggestions, Guys.

The TerraLux offerings seem pretty neat, but as indicated, they are no longer available.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be happy with my Proton Pro.

Thanks................Frank

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I am glad the OP has a solution. In case anyone else happens upon this thread with a similar need, I thought I would mention that I have a light which matches the requirements - A Nitecore Defender with a red filter I made for it.

A filter is a good option if a light matching the requirements can't be found but a white one can.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
Rigel Systems makes a nice variable-output red flashlight as well for Astronomers. They call it the Skylite.

lumenal

Enlightened
Carpenter ants need 2 things - food and water, everyday.

I've had the same problem, been there, done that .:sick2:

There are usually 2 nests - 1 in your house (usually the attic), and then an outside nest, which they go back and forth.

The nest in my former house (attic) was about 18 inches high.

Food is easy for them, the floor joists, beams or studs are mmm, mmm, good to them.

But they must leave the nest everyday to find water.

At one point, they were so thick you would find them crawling on your shirt or in your hair. :hairpull:

Flashlights would be good for spotting them. But you need to eradicate them - either yourself or professionally.:poof:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Ants have extremely poor vision, and only use it to determine/memorize where a stationary light source is so they can return to a given point at another time (which is not their primary means of navigation.) You can use any light source you want on a grouping of ants, it won't disturb them from their rounds.

I recommend the Combat brand bait traps, they take at least 24 hours before there's any noticeable effect, but I've successfully used these even on outdoor-only ant colonies. Ants are also extremely repulsed by baby powder, which can be used creatively to keep them out of areas you don't want them in.