EagleTac M2C4 with cloudy P7

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

Just received my EagleTac M2C4 - but it seems that most of the P7's epoxy dome window covering the die is cloudy (at least compared to another Wolf Eyes P7 light). When the light is on low, it is pretty easy to see - as one of the corners is actually clear and contrasts with the rest of the dome.

Has anybody had this problem before?

Thanks

BUZ

Enlightened
Yeah mine is kinda hazy, doesn't seem to effect overall output though.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I have this same issue. Since I have no other P7 to compare it to, I just assumed it was "normal".

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure there isn't just a fingerprint/smudge on the dome? Have you tried cleaning it?

clumma

Newly Enlightened
Got my M2C4 yesterday. I don't have any other P7 lights, but I noticed right away that the lens on the LED package was cloudy, and has some specks on it -- can't tell if these are inclusions in the lens or dust flecks stuck to it.

How to I get into the dang head? Upon removing the bezel, there appears to be a semi-hard black retaining ring over the lens that I have been reluctant to mess with. Unscrewing the other end of the head doesn't get me anywhere, either.

-Carl

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Can you guys get us some pictures?

I can try on Monday. I work 12 hours shifts with 30 minutes of drive time to and from so I don't do a lot of "extra" stuff other than hit the board for replies before heading back in.

As for a finger print smudge, no, I don't believe thats what it is at all. Hard to explain. It looks like the dome itself is cloudy.

Illum

Flashaholic
what SSC uses as domes are not the same as CREE domes, whatever CREE uses does not interact or mechanically float phosphor when its liquid but SSCs do...so there will be a layer of yellow "jelly" under the clear "jelly" dome that appears to have some suspended particles in it.
"cloudy" has been observed in P4s way back when it first appeared