Nuwai Q3 Mod?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All

Itching to do my first modification, has anyone ever modified a Nuwai Q3? Right now it's either mod this old thing or buy a new single x123 unit.

chiphead

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Modded my QIII with warm emitter, glass lens and forward clicky with GITD switch boot. It's the perfect little EDC light.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I changed the lens to glass, upgraded the emitter from s bin to a t bin lux3 and then to a q5 cree. Sevral years ago i found a thread here on upgrading the heatsink ring. What I did was sand down a few pennies and then soldered them together and press fitted the copper slug into the ring. I wouldn't sugesst you bother with this one. It's way too much work and isn't nessesary. Never changed the driver board. You'd probably have a hard time finding a driver board as big as the one in the q3 to do an easy upgrade. I think you would have to strip the components off of the original board and then rig a smaller driver to it.
It was a nice light in it's time but now I feel it's too big for a single 123 light. Get more lights is my advice. You can't have too many.
If you're really bent on upgrading it, do an emitter upgrade and the glass lens.

ginaz

Enlightened
i put an edixeon star in mine with ims 20 reflector and glass lens. i run it on a rechargeable with excellent results. i measure it in my light box the same total output as my d-mini, (also on a rechargeable)

Vbeez

Enlightened
Mine use UCL with SSC emitter, changed switch with forward clicky. Still looking for more efficient circuit board with hi low option.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have modded with a Seoul, Cree, Golden Dragon, Rebel, and a Lux K2. The Q3 has great reflector. All of those emitters worked well with it.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This bit of surgury seems more trouble that it's worth! There is this really nice Fenix I was looking at but as my old P1 died, I've had to back off from another Fenix till I can find what why. And it doesn't seem as it the folks at Inova are going to create a single cell unit anytime soon. Thanks fellas, now it's time to go shopping!

chiphead

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modding is half the fun with this hobby.

Emitter swaps are one of the easiest low cost mods you can do - I've done 5 so far with great results.

It's an older light, so if ya mess it up (speaking from experience here :whistle:) it's not a huge loss unless you are really fond of the light.

o0o

Enlightened
Whatever happened to the Nuwai Q3?

I use a Q3 every day for EDC, as it has very nice size and perfect beam pattern (flawless beam with no artifacts).

I haven't seen Q3s or the Q100s which were suppose to replace them in any of the stores I use, such as Light Hound or Bright Guy.

I sure wouldn't mind picking up a Q100 with the rebel if they are still sold...