M20 heat, new review stat?

travelinman

Enlightened
I just received my new Olight M20 Premium R2. What a fantastic light! While doing some tests on it, I stumbled across something I don't recall being reported on, quantitatively in the reviews. How the heat is dissipated!

I took my infrared thermometer and took heat readings for the first 20 min of high use. It was sitting on the table (I wasn't holding it) and it gradually got up to it's maximum heat after 18 minutes.

I also took readings off the side of the head (where I figured it would be hottest) and off the side of the tailcap. The final figures were 112 deg F at the head, and 105 deg F at the tailcap. Ambient temp was 74 deg F.

This, to me says the light is efficiently dissipating the head all along it's body. This should be good for the LED and pill, right? It should mean that the heat sink is properly thermally connected to the body of the light?

Am I correct in this reasoning? I haven't got my ITP C9 here just now (the wife took it on a trip to visit the grandkids.....that's a good news - bad news scenario) so I can't compare it to anything else .

Maybe someone with a few different lights and an infrared thermometer and some time on their hands could do a similar comparison. Maybe readings from a couple of different places on the body.

bullettproof

Enlightened
I dont think people are ever really that concerned with single die emitters heat unless running multiples.Considering most every modder is overdriving the single die Led's up to 1400ma and there working fine.Most of us here are concerned with the heat that the Quad Dies.And how well there sinked because they generate lots of Heat fast!!

Thanks for the info though.