Need Help Fixing Fenix LOP

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, i've had this LOP i've been using for a while now and it finally stopped running for some reason, originally, it wouldn't work because it had a leaking battery. i thought the contacts were messed up so i tried cleaning it with alcohol but tried it right after. the alcohol might now have dried up enough but im wondering what other solutions can you guys see for this being a problem? it did work for a little while and then died down on a new battery, the contacts seem fine.

Ernest

scottaw

Enlightened
I would clean everything again with rubbing alcohol, hit the contact spots with de-oxit (careful NOT to get it on the thread contact points) relube and try a fresh battery. If that doesn't work, get an LD01, it's a nice upgrade.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
The LOP I gave to my friend had stopped working and he asked me to take a look at it. I brought my LOP Special Edition along and was going to give it to him if I could not fix the LOP.

The first thing I did was to change the battery....no go, then I cleaned the threads and contacts on the head...still no go. In a last ditch effort I put his head on my light and it lit up fine :thinking: I was thinking, "How weird is this?". I pulled off the head and looked down the tube and noticed the anodizing on the inside went down to the sides of the tube and only the very bottom of the tube was bare, so I made a small hook on the end of a paper clip and pulled out the spring, and after giving it a quick inspection and cleaning, stuffed it back in with an unsharpened pencil making sure the wider part of the spring was making contact with the bottom of the tube. I screwed the head back on and BAM :clap: it lit up, somehow the spring wasn't making contact with the bottom of the tube. I was so happy cause I really, really did not want to part with my LOP SE.

So when all else fails, check that spring. :)

Bill

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another potential problem is the anodizing on the threads. The threads aren't supposed to be conductive, but the anodizing is eventually going to wear off. If the electronics happen to short against the exterior of the head, initially the anodizing on the threads will act as an extra layer of protection. But when the anodizing on the threads eventually wears off, you've got a problem. Swapping the head to another body (with the anodizing intact) will temporarily fix the problem, but it's only a matter of time before the problem re-emerges. But, again, this is only an issue if the electronics (or the positive LED lead) shorts against the exterior of the head.

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
thats weird, it works now
i tried the cleaning the spring method but it was clean when it came out, i think the problem might have been spring pressure not being there, it was probably too ompressed and the battery would'nt contact the spring and head at the same time, anyway thanks! it works!

Ernest