My mod BBH1 for KL1 and Kroll switch

Bob123

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I get possibility to put pictures and able to post my mod.
I made battery holder (I call BBH1- Bob battery holder 1) from Aluminium for KL1 and Kroll switch. It holds two AA battery. It is anodising black but type II only. I did not find any company which can make type III - HA near my place. Knurling is on the holder for better grip.
bbh1_1.jpg

bbh1_2.jpg

Finally it is cheap version of E1x series (I sell few BBH1 to my friends for equivalent of 14 US dollars). Price can be lower with bigger quantity.
I plan to make also BBH2 for 3 AA and for original switch assembly from E1 or E2 series.
Any comments?

Regards to all.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

i really like the look of that knurling!
it is such a simple and elegant design /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

it's too bad you couldn't get type 3 done...a work of art like this really deserves it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i would be interested in seeing it next to some other lights..possible e2e and minimag?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE. some piece of beautiful art that you got there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a nice, slim, practical design...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bob123

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for notes. I am trying to find somebody which can make HA but until now without any success.
Type II is not so bad and for now must be .....
I am planing to make similar head for 30 mm collimator and 5W Luxeon.

Bob123

Newly Enlightened
Hello Rothrandir,
I will make picture near mini Maglite and E2-GM and post hopely tomorrow.
I do not have E2e.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

be warned though, the 30mm optics create a "donut-like" pattern when used with 5watters...if you cold use a mag reflector, you would get a better beam, at the expense of size.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could reasonably fuse out the "donut" shape of the beam from the 30mm optics by spacing the optic just a tad in front of the LS... Elektrolumens was able to get a great, almost uniform spot this way...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I like the clean no-nonsense design.

I bet if you added a CR123 Lithium option in 2 and 3 cells, you'd probably see a good interest in them. This would make a great 5W modders body.

I had an opportunity to chat with Bob about these, and the newer ones will be smaller at the base of the bezel to preserve the anti-roll characteristics of the SF bezels.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with Slick on making the ID 17mm for 123 and A cells

Nice part from Bob with good potential IMO

Klaus

Bob123

Newly Enlightened
Ok,
I will just get few BBH1 and BBH2 tomorrow.
You force me to make holder for AA and DL123 as well, am I correct?
Should not be a problem but please clarify exactly what you prefer. What I shall make?
I can make any. Now shall I design BBH for 2 (3) AA and 2 DL123.

Bob123

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob,

actually the 2AA holder w/Kroll you did should be around 15mm ID and 100mm length (2AA at ~50mm) plus then some.

You posted about modifying your design to accept the original SF tail cap switch which would/could mean a larger OD anyway to not have a hourglass figure flashlight body - so this would make the use of larger ID cells possible too.

Actually the length of 2 AA cells is the length of 3 123 cells too - and A cells do have the same diameter as well.

Putting this together: 2AA length of ~100mm and ~17mm 123-size ID you end up with some very flexible body configurations - being able to use 2 AA or 2A cells, and 3 123 cells as well - whereas one 123 cell can always be replaced by a dummy to allow the use of 2 123 cells like with a standard E2 bezel and LA.

Interestingly there also had been some E2e bezel mods lately from (as usual) Don McGizmo who showed how to mod a E2e bezel to accept a modified (sans reflector) Pxx LA and so allows the use of P90/I91 LA´s with 3 cells in a longer E2x style body.

With a slightly longer body of approx 2cm more length one could also create an E2R allowing the use of 4 2/3A rechargeable cells similar to the B65 packs for the G2R/6R - this could also be a nice rechargeable host for the upcoming KL4 if that head won´t properly run on just 2 cells.

Plenty of options - and even when staying with the Kroll switch the larger ID cells might be nice to have too.

Just my 2 €cents

Klaus

obeck

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Slick said:

I bet if you added a CR123 Lithium option in 2 and 3 cells, you'd probably see a good interest in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if they were offered for sale *as is* he might see good interest in them. Why? Because if you want to buy a KL1 head, you *must* buy an E1E or E2E body. Even if you wanted to use the UBH II, you still had to have an e1e or e2e tail switch for it.

If a body like this were made for .... say... $20-30 (same price as the Arc 2AA tail), then one could purchase a KL1 head for under $40 and have a nice Luxeon Star flashlight.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with Obeck - that would just be around 60-70 bucks (with the Kroll and shipping) and even with a clickie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with what Klaus is saying.. I favor the maximum number of "mixable" combinations..

Also I'm not suggesting to change the AA holder to fit CR123's, but rather to add an additional option if resources permit.

I say start with the AA holders, and later (if there is sufficient interest) to add a new 123 holder.

Bob123

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all,
Please note that I do not have access to CPF every day, then I can not answer at once or the same day.
Another point to avoid misunderstanding. I can offer for CPF memebers BBH but it will be supplied without o-rings.
My idea was only to make poor man version of E1E with KL1.
As pointed out by Obeck it was just for this reason. Purchasing (aproved CE) KL1-BK or KL1-HA add BBH, add Kroll switch and not so bad flashlight ready and economically powered from AA battery.
Generally without shipping cost is below 20 bucks.
I will offer those for sale after establishing Paypal.
Please note I am not able to make big quantity in few days and this is only for "enjoying". Anodising take few days also.
By the way shall I put information on sale here or I need to make post in other place?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob,

the B/S/T (Buy/Sell/trade) forum would be the appropiate place

Klaus