5B Q4 Beamshot request

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that the new 5B Q4 warm tint emmitter is coming out, does anybody own a light with this led? How about beamshots? I seen a upgrade on the Dereelight website for this led and it sparked my interest. I do not like cool blue, or overly warm yellow tints, I prefer a super white neutral tint led. Ive heard that the 5B Q4 is more efficient than the 5A Q2 version and has a considerably higher output. If the tint and regulation circuitry is right, I may consider a light with the 5B Q4. Right now, my collection only consists of Surefire, and Eagletac lights. With some of the new emmitters coming out, I will most likely expand........:grin2:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a shot of a Q2-5B in a iTP C9. The shot has been adjusted to look the same as it does when my eyes adjust to the output.
The 5B leans a little more toward yellow, the 5A leans a little more toward red.
IMG_4.JPG

Marduke

Flashaholic
They aren't "new emitters" per se. It's the same model emitter that's been around for a couple years now.

Just look at the reviews for the EZ-AA warm. Same tint.

Scourie

Enlightened
I don't have a picture, but I do have the Dereelight 5B Q4 module. When compared to a TK20 the Q4 is a nicer tint, not as red as the Fenix's.

Rob

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, as the others have pointed out, the Q4 is the same only brighter.. and the 5B tint moves away from the red end of the spectrum towards the yellow end. The tint isn't too yellow, it just doesn't have the rosy hue to it like the 5A's. I'll try to post some pics later. :)

kyhunter1: I think you'd like the neutral white WG tint. Perhaps just a hint of warmth to it...but really just a nice pure white.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix tk11 q5 on the left, solarforce l2 + dereelight 3SD 5B Q4 w/SMO right.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

I really love the tint and the output of this led:twothumbs
Sorry i can't take outdoor beam shots yet cause i live way north (arctic), and its not getting dark here for bout 4 months or so :sigh: But when it finally gets dark... i can play with flashlights all day long :candle:
full size photos at my homepage: http://home.online.no/~jonilse/download/cpf/

Note: I took a picture of a new a4 paper, and programmed my camera to use that picture as a reference to whitebalance. I don't know any other good way to get a accurate white balance. I am no photo expert, but it looks very accurate on my monitors vs real.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm my Q4 5B looks almost like WadeF's Q2 5A. Do the tints vary that much, or have i gotten a bad tinted 5B?
I'm still loving mine tough. It's the only warm tinted led i got for the moment, but not for long i guess:crackup:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've gathered, tints can vary quite a bit. I've seen 6 Q3-5A's lined up, and they all had slightly different tints.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just the comparison I was looking for. What I am looking for is somewhere in between the two. Im now more interested in the wg tint that flashcrazy was talking about. How about those beamshots Flashcrazy? :popcorn:

Here is my Dereelight Q2 5A on left and Q4 5B on right:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are good too. Thanks.

Fenix tk11 q5 on the left, solarforce l2 + dereelight 3SD 5B Q4 w/SMO right.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

I really love the tint and the output of this led:twothumbs
Sorry i can't take outdoor beam shots yet cause i live way north (arctic), and its not getting dark here for bout 4 months or so :sigh: But when it finally gets dark... i can play with flashlights all day long :candle:
full size photos at my homepage: http://home.online.no/~jonilse/download/cpf/

Note: I took a picture of a new a4 paper, and programmed my camera to use that picture as a reference to whitebalance. I don't know any other good way to get a accurate white balance. I am no photo expert, but it looks very accurate on my monitors vs real.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind the tints won't be completely accurate and will vary from monitor to monitor, and even people's eyes may perceive tints differently. There will be variations in the same tint bin as well, but from my experience, and the tint charts, the 5A should have a bit more red/pink/rosey tint and the 5B should have less red/pink/rosey and be more yellow. This is what I see in person and what I see on my monitor in my beam shot.

Also keep in mind that if you use a flashlight with one of these tints, even a cool white tint, your eyes will adjust to it and it will appear white. However, when you shine a cool white tint on browns, flesh colors, etc, they may not look like they should. Browns often lack that warm glow, flesh looks blueish and corpse like. When you are using one of the nuetral white tints (5B/5A) woods look much more like they should, flesh looks pink and alive like it should, etc.

I find the neutral white tints to be vastly superior to the cool whites for outdoor use. I like them more than incans because most incans I deal with look too orange, especially once the batteries start to drop in voltage (which doesn't take long) and the beam gets more orange.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the sound advice. I notice with my pair of Malkoff M60's, one is warmer than the other. The cool one does tend to wash the colors a little, thus I like the warmer one better. It appears whiter and does a better job with color rendering. Thanks to Gene, I got a lottery winner M60 this go around. I think the Malkoff M60W from the beamshots Ive seen would be too yellow for me. Im like you too on the incans, I rarely use them anymore.

Keep in mind the tints won't be completely accurate and will vary from monitor to monitor, and even people's eyes may perceive tints differently. There will be variations in the same tint bin as well, but from my experience, and the tint charts, the 5A should have a bit more red/pink/rosey tint and the 5B should have less red/pink/rosey and be more yellow. This is what I see in person and what I see on my monitor in my beam shot.

Also keep in mind that if you use a flashlight with one of these tints, even a cool white tint, your eyes will adjust to it and it will appear white. However, when you shine a cool white tint on browns, flesh colors, etc, they may not look like they should. Browns often lack that warm glow, flesh looks blueish and corpse like. When you are using one of the nuetral white tints (5B/5A) woods look much more like they should, flesh looks pink and alive like it should, etc.

I find the neutral white tints to be vastly superior to the cool whites for outdoor use. I like them more than incans because most incans I deal with look too orange, especially once the batteries start to drop in voltage (which doesn't take long) and the beam gets more orange.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
your eyes will adjust to it and it will appear white. However, when you shine a cool white tint on browns, flesh colors, etc, they may not look like they should. Browns often lack that warm glow, flesh looks blueish and corpse like. When you are using one of the nuetral white tints (5B/5A) woods look much more like they should, flesh looks pink and alive like it should, etc.

i agree your eyes really adjust to white balance what you are seeing.
i still think the 5a looks rather flat in the woods. at least compared to incandescent. but at least it's getting there...

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put an XP-E R2-WH in a Ra Clicky. The tint is OK, and the output is very nice, but the color rendition is lacking.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with what WadeF said.. good summation of the differences.

Here's a couple of shots...

From left to right: WC, WD, WG, WH, 5B (Q4), 5A (Q3)
dsc07284w.jpg

Left (well..center I guess :)), 5B Q4. Right, 5A Q3
dsc07289.jpg

The following isn't the best subject to show the difference between the 5A and 5B, but if you look at the white background you can see the 5A has a bit more of a rosy hue in the spill, compared to a bit more yellowish with the 5B. It's really hard to see the difference here, though.

5B Q4
dsc07295.jpg

5A Q3
dsc07296.jpg

Last edited: