2 or 3 123 batteries with a pr base?

Wylie

Enlightened
I have been interested in a flashlight that would run on the lithium 123s, maybe 2 or three of them. The hard part of finding this flashlight is that I would like to have a pr based lamp assembly in the flashlight.
Would any of you have any ideas or leads for me to check into?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If I remember correctly, most 2xC size flashlights can be modified to take 3x123 batteries. All that is needed is a piece of pvc pipe that is shorter than 3 123s and longer than 2 123s....pvc needs OD the same as C batteries and an ID the same as the OD of a 123 battery.

A 3 1/2 inch piece of radiator hose 7/8 inch OD and 5/8 inch ID with a slit down the length will also work.

of course, a new bulb will be needed.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I no longer have a C/D cell flashlight in the house, I've converted them all to use 3 CR123's along with a Radio Shack PR bulb P/N KPR-012 or KPR-018, I can't tell the difference between the two in brightness. . .
Best results came from a Mag 2C flashlight. Lightest flashlight was one I converted a cheapy flashlight from Wal-Mart (Chrome bodied) light. The reflector sucks! But its super light! Even when 3 123's are loaded it still seems like there are no batteries in it. Until you turn on the light and its like "who turned on the Sun!". I used insulation tubing used for pipes, perfect OD for D cell flashlights and ID is good for CR123's.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wylie,

If you're looking for some ideas, willing to spend a little time downloading, and an even longer time reading there's a looooong thread here.

It's all about making super-bright incandescent mods to a Mag 2C, or 3C, or 4C, etc. It started 7 months ago and picked up again in May with a group of us who followed the lead of the earlier group, settled on a number of designs, and made a group buy of bulbs.

In that thread you'll also find some designs that were tried with bulbs from radio shack. They worked well, but we wanted to go further, with narrower beams and higher wattages -- right up to the point of almost melting the reflectors. (At least, that's my take on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Paul