Internet Exlporer (Not Outlook) No Embedded Images

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I think I know the mistake I made. I once clicked the wrong choice to never allow images to be viewed. I did it a long time ago. When I checked my E-Mail, it used to say there was embedded images and do I want to view them. I changed security settings to let my computer be molested by anybody and everybody. No joy.

So how do I start seeing them again?

Please help, I can't take it anymore. Yes, I've searched high and low through the internet for a solution. Most solutions refer to Outlook and I don't use Outlook to see my E-Mail.

Windows XP - Firefox - ie tab(my E-Mail won't work without it)

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Try running it in IE proper. If you no longer have an IE icon go to start > run and enter "iexplore" obviously without the quotes. If you are using IE8, you may have to use IE proper and use Compatibility Mode as I don't know if there is a way to switch it in IE tab.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I have IE 8. During my many hours trying to fix the problem I did use IE actual. In fact it was the last thing I did before getting so fed up that I posted the cry for help.

As for compatibility mode, I "had" added the website to the list. I just removed it about an hour ago. I also played with inprivate filtering. Now I may have gotten things wrong, so clarify if you think that is the problem.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Maybe you have "Show pictures" unchecked. That setting is on the Advanced tab of Internet Options, which you can pull up in IE8 by clicking on Tools > Internet Options.

Show_pictures.png

If you've dabbled with lots of settings, I'd also suggest hitting the "Reset" button you see in the picture there, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings.

After that settings reset, I like to make a few other changes, one of which is to go to Privacy, set it to Medium-High, click Apply, then hit the Advanced button and arbitrarily block third-party cookies. This basically eliminates tracking cookies.

no_tracking_cookies.png

I also like to go to the Security tab and set the Trusted Zone and the Intranet Zone to Medium-High (and enable Protected Mode on them, if it's Vista or Win7).

If it's an IETab problem, instead of an IE8 problem, then see if IETab's developer has a support forum.

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
The Multi-Media was already set correctly.

I reset the security settings as you asked with the button, "Reset All Zone to Default Level" under Security. I also changed the cookies as you described.

I also set the Privacy Settings to Medium High, after resetting to default.

. . . Just checked, the images still don't show.

The error occurs in Internet Explorer Actual and in I.E. Tab under Firefox.

Just for fun, I tried to use just Firefox, but it won't accept my username and password. (That's why I use I.E. Tab)

mechBgon

Enlightened
The Multi-Media was already set correctly.

I reset the security settings as you asked with the button, "Reset All Zone to Default Level" under Security. I also changed the cookies as you described.

I also set the Privacy Settings to Medium High, after resetting to default.

. . . Just checked, the images still don't show.

The error occurs in Internet Explorer Actual and in I.E. Tab under Firefox.

Just for fun, I tried to use just Firefox, but it won't accept my username and password. (That's why I use I.E. Tab)

Thanks for the update.

1) Does this just happen with the one website, or does it happen on all websites?

2) I assume you've confirmed this is only affecting your particular computer, not other computers?

3) How long ago did this start happening?

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Thanks for the update.
Thanks for the help. :grin2:

1) Does this just happen with the one website, or does it happen on all websites?
Just that E-Mail Account. Not on my other one.

2) I assume you've confirmed this is only affecting your particular computer, not other computers?
Surprisingly it doesn't show on the other computer in IE actual. I would have sworn that I remember it asking me if I wanted to see the embedded images and my finger slipping and picking NEVER. If that were the case, the other computer should show the images

3) How long ago did this start happening?
A few months ago. Every once in a while I would try to fix it. I finally got desperate.

mechBgon

Enlightened
I see. I could check whether the log-in page shows images on my system, if you're OK with giving out the website's address.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
mechBgon ,

FYI ...... I had a problem recently that I couldn't buy something online using PayPal.

I had just before that turned off 3rd party cookies.

The problem cleared up after I reinstated 3rd party cookies.

When I clicked *Pay* at the last step in my shopping cart - it would automatically try to connect to my Paypal account for payment - but the page would immediatly show an error and not proceed - said I didn't have cookies enabled - which I did.

Turns out it was considering the re-direct to my Paypal account as a 3rd party cookie - so it failed cause I had stopped 3rd party cookies.

Does that make sense - maybe you can explain it better , but recommending the stopping of 3rd partie cookies MAY cause some folks a problem - like I had.

Just wanted to share my experience on Paypal and ask for your further discussion about it.

TMG:D

mechBgon

Enlightened
mechBgon ,

FYI ...... I had a problem recently that I couldn't buy something online using PayPal.

When I clicked *Pay* at the last step in my shopping cart - it would automatically try to connect to my Paypal account for payment - but the page would immediatly show an error and not proceed - said I didn't have cookies enabled - which I did.

Turns out it was considering the re-direct to my Paypal account as a 3rd party cookie - so it failed cause I had stopped 3rd party cookies.

Does that make sense - maybe you can explain it better , but recommending the stopping of 3rd partie cookies MAY cause some folks a problem - like I had.

Just wanted to share my experience on Paypal and ask for your further discussion about it.

That's a new one. I don't see that hangup when being redirected to PayPal for the payment screen, and you're the first person I've heard having such an issue. What online store was having the problem? :thinking:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using the "Cookie Safe" extension in Firefox and I think the site was *ShiningBeam.com*.

I don't use CookieSafe since that incident happened.

It may have played a part in it , I'm not sure.

It drove me crazy for a couple days . When I dis-abled that extension ( which was preventing 3rd party cookies cause I selected that option) , I was then able to reach Paypal and pay.

That's the way I remember it - from 3 months ago.

mechBgon

Enlightened
I see. If you get a chance, try it again using FireFox's own "disable 3rd-party cookies" option, and/or IE's. It might be a Cookie Safe-specific issue. I went to ShiningBeam.com just now, threw a flashlight into the cart, and then clicked "Proceed to checkout" and used the "Express Checkout with Paypal," and it sent me on to PayPal without any hassle. I've also had no hangups with the type of redirect that opens PayPal in a separate tab/window, e.g. Torontocycles.com.

Ooooo, Torontocycles.com has some cool new stuff! Ok, THAT was a mistake :ohgeez::broke:

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try it later when I can.

I have not dis-abled 3rd party anywhere since that episode !

You should download Cookie safe and see if it malfunctions with you after you disable 3rd party within its options.

Gotta go now for several hours. sorry

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
mechBgon ,

I had a problem with ebay one time it wouldn't let me pay an auction with paypal it went into the paypal screens and at the end where you are to hit continue it was greyed out and paypal told me is was my computer but I tried another computer with 2 different browsers and the error persisted. After I contacted the seller and got an OK to send a money order the next thing I won and since then was not a problem. It was a corrupted transaction I guess.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Thanks mechBgon! This solved my issue. It was the "Display Mixed Content" in Internet Explorer. After I fixed that, I only had to reload Firefox for it to register the changes.
mechBgon said:
Ok, I may have an insight on this now. When I visit the ones that don't display their images, I get a prompt because the page combines both secure and non-secure content. Internet Explorer asks if I want to view the page with just the secure content, or if I want to see both the secure and insecure content. Depending on which I choose, I get either a plain-looking log-in box (secure) or a fully-decked-out web page (secure + insecure).

This behavior's normally controlled by a setting called "Display Mixed Content" in the Internet Options > Security panel. To see what it's set to, go to the Internet Options > Security tab, then click the Internet Zone and hit the Custom Level button, like shown in this picture:

Mixed_content.png

The default setting is "Prompt," which would give you a Yes / No prompt like the one shown below. If you want to see both the secure and insecure stuff, then click the "No" button and it should show you the whole page (famous last words :grin2:).

Prompt.png

I hope that setting's what's causing it, or else I'll have to put on my thinking cap :tinfoil:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I forgot to mention, some setting that changed got rid of that annoying message, that I never got before. You know, this one -

Prompt.png

Every time I checked my mail, reloaded the tab, etc., I would get asked four times (yes 4) to click YES. But now it is gone! YEAH!!!! :thumbsup: