Diffuser for M2XC4

Kabible

Enlightened
Couldn't wait for EagleTac's proposed M2X diffuser lens so I made my own by using silicone glue to fix a 52mm UCL into the flashlight's stainless bezel. Fellow's "Writeright" diffuser film was applied to the backside of the lens after cleaning off the excess cured silicone. The bezel can still be restored to it's original condition. It's an easy task and well worth the effort. Clear silicone would have looked nicer and a 53.9mm lens would have fit my bezel perfectly but these were the materials on hand.

The effect is much like an LOP/MOP vs smooth reflector. The hotspot becomes about twice as big with no dark ring around it. The flower petal pattern of the sidespill is nicely softened. The film also disperses enough light 90 deg. sideways to be quite useful as a walking light here in the mountains. If I need the intense hotspot for maximum throw, the bezel is easily unscrewed.

My digital camera doesn't have manual exposure & time settings and won't render an accurate effect of the diffuser so no beamshots, sorry.

IMG_03551.jpg

IMG_03781.jpg

IMG_03771.jpg

Last edited:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
how did you cut the silicone to fit into lens perfectly?

Kabible

Enlightened
Hi Picard. I placed the bezel & lens on a piece of wax paper and squeezed the silicone (glue) into the space between the lens & bezel. Once cured, the excess silicone was scraped away with a razor blade. For a cleaner outcome, I'd like to order a lens that fits snug into the bezel and secure it with super glue.

Thanks Gunga. I took some beamshots but my camera does not give me enough manual control to duplicate what I "see". The actual hotspot (with & without diffuser) looks almost the same in the pictures I took. I can try again and if satisfied, I'll post them. Basically, the diffuser enlarges the hotspot much as an LOP/MOP does vs a smooth reflector.