Solarforce L2 helps uncover Taliban weapons in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our son, after two tours in Iraq, recently left for the front lines in Afganistan. Before he left I gave him one of my Solarforce L2 flashlights with the Solarforce R2-M 5-mode lamp assembly and two Surefire CR123 cells.

During a Google chat today he informed us of an operation in the hills of Afganistan yesterday where his unit was searching caves for Taliban and weapons... using Army provided flashlights. None of the flashlights that the Army unit had were nearly as bright as the Solarforce L2 our son was carrying and during the search, the beam from the L2 was bright enough to allow them to notice that the mud on the back wall of one cave was different in one spot, leading them to suspect that perhaps they should check out the wall more closely... so they proceeded to chip away at the mud, soon opening a large pocket in the cave wall where they uncovered a stash of... RPGs, grenades, and Kalashnikov automatic rifles... hidden there by the Taliban!

I am thrilled to know that my participation on this forum has ultimately led to helping our troops find and retreive weapons which the Taliban would have used to fire on US soldiers.

WAY to go, CPF members! Were it not for my love of this forum and this hobby, I doubt I would have even thought to send our son off with an L2 flashlight. I wish the US military would spring to buy LED flashlights for the troops charged with cave searching. At least we know there's one out there for sure... and it made a big difference.

If you know of a soldier doing this kind of work in Afganistan, send them a nice bright LED flashlight... you might help save the life/lives of one or more of our valiant servicemen. CR123 cells are readily available to servicemen there, so lights which run on them are a good choice. Send a 6P LED or a G2 LED, or a Solarforce L2 R2.... such lights are definitely needed by our troops and will be used with positive results!

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Re: Solarforce L2 helps uncover Taliban weapons in Afganistan

DHart, fantastic post and you should also be commended for providing your son with the tools necessary to excel at his job! Thank your son for what he's doing over there and here's to his safe return when his tour is over. Godspeed. :goodjob:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs:goodjob:....

7873fd40b3.jpg

:paypal:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool story DHart.

It's also pretty sad that front line troops are not being provided with sufficient lighting tools to effectively do their work.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I wish the US military would spring the paltry $25 to buy L2s with R2 LEDs for the troops charged with cave searching....

Not going to happen (at least not any time soon with US Armed forces and Chinese manufacturing origin product).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry_Amendment

Still though your son deserves a big pat on the back for a job well done.;) I have the utmost respect and admiration for US troops who dedicate their lives to do their job.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kramer... yeah... the US Army buying Chinese lights is definitely more than a stretch! :sick2: Changed my original post to reflect that.

At least they could buy G2 LEDs, which should be reasonably priced at US Army quantities. ;) Oh well... main thing is that at least one US troop has a really potent light to help their effort (and there have to be others!).

Thanks for the support, everyone. And please say a prayer, if you will; we need him to come home in one healthy piece.

Here's Elijah just before he left for Afghanistan. He is a totally dedicated American soldier... as you can probably see in his eyes. An incredibly solid, yet gentle individual.

3412.jpg

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened

right on! very cool to hear. :twothumbs

supasizefries

Enlightened

Wow what a great success story. If the L2 is good enough to be used in that kind of situation, it's good enough for me. :twothumbs I hope your son comes back safe and sound. :D

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Damn DHart, you started a great thread. I'm proud of you and your awesome son. Brought tears to these getting old eyes of mine.

Bill

outersquare

Enlightened

solarforce not my first choice, but then you are not going to get anything nearly as bright from a US made brand for anywhere near the cost.

The G2L/6PL are not nearly as bright as a chinese R2.
E2DL is almost as bright but we are talking like $150 vs $35.

Thanks to you and your son.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened

I have sold an R2 Ultrafire 501b with clip to a few co-workers who are also Military servicemen, like Army, Marines and they have said that there light was some of the most brightest of handheld. Of course i never got such a good story like yours about color retention and clarity.

God Bless your son and every servicemen currently serving overseas fighting insurgents. If more of Us flashaholics bring modern lighting (LED) to popularity and availablity imagine how much safer they could be.
:candle:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool story! :twothumbs

Too bad more soldiers that are sent to dangerous areas aren't equipped with decent flashlights. :shakehead

turan8

Newly Enlightened

What about Malkoff Devices host + M60? More reasonably priced than surefire, more capable, plus american!

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes it was a great story.........i remember my time in the Army as well and the issued flashlight they gave us sucked. Hope your son gets home safely.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about Malkoff Devices host + M60? More reasonably priced than surefire, more capable, plus american!

Great choice! I bet they would easily survive in the field as well. :thumbsup:

It would be cool if the military would set up a contract with Gene...imagine what they could do for each other... :naughty:

ergotelis

Enlightened

God Bless your son and every servicemen currently serving overseas fighting insurgents. If more of Us flashaholics bring modern lighting (LED) to popularity and availablity imagine how much safer they could be.
:candle:

Sorry for the off-topic, but if US stopped operations all over the world in foreign poor countries your soldiers would be much more safe.

DM51

Flashaholic

Superb story, DHart! Well done you for providing him with a good light, and congratulations and best wishes to him!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a great story!

And hats off to anyone in the military, it's not a job I'd want to do; I hope your son comes home safe. Well done for equipping him as best you could!

:twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.