Sharper Image dual LED booklight ...

arioch

Enlightened
Bought a dual LED booklight at Sharper Image yesterday. Saw it in the catalog a few days earlier; I have a b&m nearby; the rest is history. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

It is pretty bright as far as booklights go, although the two white led's are open on three sides; definitely not good for retaining night vision.

There is a push button unlocking mechanism, and the light automatically activates when the arm opens. There is no manual activation. Unfortunately, the clip for the booklight is located inside of the closed design, therefore it will not work for my intended purpose for it; keeping it on a clipboard at night during patrol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

The design looks nice, but construction is not the best, IMO. The arm is supposed to have a ratcheting joint that allows you to adjust the position of the arm. However, the first one I bought had a defective arm that would not lock properly at different positions, and would only open completely or close completely. I had to go back today to the store and exchange it. The new one seems to have a working arm, but the ratcheting arm feels cheap and easy to break, IMO.

At $29.95, I was expecting more. For the money, I'm thinking I should have bought something else. Oh well, as "the flashlight guy" among my friends and colleagues, I am usually the first one to get new lights when they come out for sale. As such, it can be a crapshoot ... sometimes I am pleasantly surprised (Legend LX); other times I am disappointed (here). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Overall opinion:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I checked this light out in their stores before, it didn't seem to be too bright (guess it had to do with the store lighting too), but at $29.95, that's too much for me...especially since I already have an incandescent book light which is going to be my upcoming project, mod it to a luxeon and finally get rid of the ugly yellow! (it makes me want to sleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're trying to light up your clipboard, perhaps you could use one of these Quiqlight

Sits in your pocket and swings out to light up your paperwork.

quiqofficer.jpg

Unfortunately countycomm seems to be sold out of them at the moment, but I'll bet they are getting more any minute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

arioch

Enlightened
James S:

Yeh, I had seen that when it came out, and Sasha really vouched for it, but I missed the sale when it was temporarily marked down to $8.99 thereabouts (I think it was at Countycomm), and never got around to getting one ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

As it goes; so many flashlights, not enough money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Like I says, when you buy lights all the time, you gets some good ones and some not so good ones. Based on function, design, and price, the SI dual led booklight just turned out to be one of those not so good ones.