Regulated and non-reg with NiMh ?

Kantt

Newly Enlightened
Newbie's saying hi to all,

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Could you experts tell me: a regulated light with alkaline batt. and a non-regulated light with NiMh. Which one is better in maintaining its brightness ?
Thanks

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally regulated lights maintain brightness- but at the expense of a longer runtime. Don't reject a possible light just because it's not regulated. One of my very best lights runs almost 10 hours..it's unregulated.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
My longest runners are unregulated, direct-drive, and eat C cells (preferably NiMH). My regulated light (I only have one, an Aviator) goes for 40-45 minutes at full blast.

Kantt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replies,
I believe as the energy's draining out the Akaline would stay longer with dimming while the NiMH quicker shuts itself. So the NiMH is like "regulated" some how. I dislike lights which have long run time but also long in dim. So does it really help to keep the full bright longer in non-re lights with the NiMH ?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the regulator is a high drain application, alkalines will fall out of regulation faster, but will be back in regulation next time you turn on the light (once they recover). NiMH will rarely have that problem.