Warm White Chinese Cree Based Tank007!

thefish

Enlightened
I just got back to California from a two week trip to Hong Kong and am fighting off jet-lag to show you all something surprising a I came across. Its a Tank007 brand 1AA light (can take NiMh or LiIon) single mode on off but what makes it special is this light comes in both a standard Cree XRE model and a Warm XRE model! Why have we not seen these on any of the cheap Chinese web pages? I paid $108 HKD or about $14 USD for it without even bargaining.

EDIT: Caution before purchasing a TK-566 know that the shop I got it from had three versions of the TK-566:
  • Cool White Hi/Low/Strobe (as seen on DX)
  • Cool White On/Off
  • Warm White On/Off
The last shot is a comparison at 2.5 meters to my Nite Core D10 GDP, I set the camera white balance manually and underexposed the shot a bit, the colors are preatty close to true.

Tank007_01.jpg

Tank007_02.jpg

Tank007_Die.jpg

Beam22HalfMeter.jpg

Last edited:

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
Neato. :thumbsup:

I have a cool-white TK-566 three-mode (high-low-strobe) which is very bright on 14500, but rather disappointing on NiMH. It has a nice, biiig hotspot with a modest spill, much like your beamshot. I really like that warm tint, though! I keep mine in the car as a backup, and emergency road flare (my EDC and main car-lights are all non-strobe). Currently it's in the wilds of Ohio on a camping trip as I lent it to a friend of mine who is rather defecient when it comes to flashlights. :laughing:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen this on DX. :duh2:

Here're the specs:
Brand: Tank007
Model: TK-566-3
Emitter Brand/Type: Cree XR-E
Emitter BIN: Q2-WC
Total Emitters: 1
Battery Configurations: 1 x 1.2V/1.5V AA
Voltage Input: 1.5V Max
Switch Type: Clicky (Clickie)
Switch Location: Tailcap (Tail-cap)
Modes: 3
Mode Memory: -
Mode Arrangement: Hi > Mid > SOS
Brightness: 95 lumens (manufacturer rated)
Typical Battery Runtime: ~2 hours (manufacturer rated)
Circuitry: 400mA Total Current Output, Digitally Regulated
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum Textured/OP Reflector

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
HongKong is a flashaholic's dream come true. They dont carry surefires much, and i think fenixes and nitecores can be got for better prices from our reputable dealers here, but if you want some cheap, bright, and modifiable lights, theres no better place to go. There are literally street stores upon street stores selling cool stuff.

anyone else get a chance, go to Ap Liu street. :)

Crenshaw

thefish

Enlightened
HongKong is a flashaholic's dream come true. They dont carry surefires much, and i think fenixes and nitecores can be got for better prices from our reputable dealers here, but if you want some cheap, bright, and modifiable lights, theres no better place to go. There are literally street stores upon street stores selling cool stuff.

anyone else get a chance, go to Ap Liu street. :)

Crenshaw

I second that, every time I go to Hong Kong I spend at least 1 day in Sham Shui Po (where Ap Liu street is located), its not just LED stuff either. It is basically every electronic gizmo I you can imagine.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Hey is anyone around to give me some hints buying? It seems some of their stuff is more pricey than DX.

I'm in HK right now, but only have a couple days left.

I've only found around 3 stores with P60 drop ins and only 1 had an MC-E drop in...

So far I've only bought an Ultrafire 602C and a TK 701 for my dad

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find a map, go to Ap Liu street.Its near the Sham Shui Po train station i believe. There is SOOO much there it isnt even funny. be sure to shop around for the best price, and dont be afraid to bargain. Its true some of the things are more pricey than DX, if only slightly, that said, they also have stuff you can find on dx. And you can play with the stuff there and then, which beats buying it on dx. Unless its SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper on dx, you could buy it there.

Crenshaw

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey is anyone around to give me some hints buying? It seems some of their stuff is more pricey than DX.

I'm in HK right now, but only have a couple days left.

I've only found around 3 stores with P60 drop ins and only 1 had an MC-E drop in...

So far I've only bought an Ultrafire 602C and a TK 701 for my dad

There are some Airsoft/Surplus stores on Dundas Street (on the end of Sai Yeung Choi Street) they will have various lights. There is a whole cluster
of Airsoft/Surplus stores there
While your on Dundas Street, drop into Supreme Co (the people who sell Vital Gear)

Sai Yeung Choi Street (Ladies Market) will have some cheap LED lights
and so will Temple Street Market

big beam

Enlightened
I just got a tank 007 #TK701(along with a lot of other AAA lights just to play with) from DX with a SSC emitter.Seems like they make them with all kinds of emitters.The 701 won't be waterproof because the switch cover is metal not rubber.Otherwise not a bad little light for 8 or 9 bucks.Runs about 45 mins on a duraloop AAA.
DON

BTW I'd love to get a few warm tints.Do I smell a GB !!

EDIT.....

That 45 min runtime was with the 2 cell tank light.
The 1 cell light was 20 mins or so.

Last edited:

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Wow seems like bunch of you are pretty familiar with HK on here, which is a surprise for me o_O

I've known Ap Liu St for ages been there at least 8 times now, checking between DX and there!

Anyone know of places that sell MC-E drop ins or Q2 5A drop ins there? I'd appreciate it so much, since I've only found an MC-E, and the couple shops that I asked for warm tinted LEDs were surprised that such lights even existed.

I agree with Crenshaw saying that if prices were a bit pricier (say 10-20%) at the street than DX it's acceptable. Beats having to wait a month... to bad there's usually a limit to how much you can bargain.

To thefish, can you tell me whereabouts you got your light? I'd really like to get my hands on one...

To anyone else coming to HK, locals know about this already, but Sham Shui Po is also home to Golden, where you can find anything related to computers. Accessories can be had for dirt cheap, and other stuff can be bargains too (HDDs, Computer Cases, Memory Cards, etc)

Hope this gets a quick response since I'm leaving in a couple days and it seems like a storm is coming on sunday!

thefish

Enlightened
Wow seems like bunch of you are pretty familiar with HK on here, which is a surprise for me o_O

I've known Ap Liu St for ages been there at least 8 times now, checking between DX and there!

To thefish, can you tell me whereabouts you got your light? I'd really like to get my hands on one...

If I remember correctly you can go out MTR exit A2 and go left (away from the Dragon Center) then the shop was on the right side of the road at the base of one of the buildings (not one of the street venders). I hope you can find the place, it was a very small shop with one narrow isle and counters on both sides.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly you can go out MTR exit A2 and go left (away from the Dragon Center) then the shop was on the right side of the road at the base of one of the buildings (not one of the street venders). I hope you can find the place, it was a very small shop with one narrow isle and counters on both sides.

Thanks fish! I found the shop, it's basically the last one that sells flashlights before you get to the end of the street, and half of it is actually open to the outside. I really didn't have time to ask every one of the shops. The people who work there don't have the best attitude in the world either.

I now have a warm tinted flashlight without having to use Li-ions or paying a ton of money :D

thefish

Enlightened
Thanks fish! I found the shop, it's basically the last one that sells flashlights before you get to the end of the street, and half of it is actually open to the outside. I really didn't have time to ask every one of the shops. The people who work there don't have the best attitude in the world either.

I now have a warm tinted flashlight without having to use Li-ions or paying a ton of money :D

Glad you found the place. Did they try hard to sell you a green laser? When I was there the guy was really pushing lasers over LEDs :shrug: