Optimize? (Malkoff 3-D Mag Aspheric torch)

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
Hey gang I'd like to be sure my main light Malkoff 3-D Mag with Aspheric lens is the best it can be.

Currently I run 3-D cells, Alkaline.

I don't use the reflector as it seems better (to me) without it. I want a balance between throw and spill (obviously).

Its a great, great light, can I make it even better?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty, running a malkoff dropin with an aspheric is not optimal. The SSC P4 emitter emits a lot of its light to the sides (more than with a Cree, I believe), so you are wasting a lot of the light by using an aspheric; more than with a cree. Additionally, the P4 emitter is slightly larger, so it doesn't focus as well. In all honesty, you get a much more usable hotspot by simply using the stock maglite reflector without a lens, and you get spill as well. However, given how focused the hotspot gets, you are never going to get a "balance between throw and spill" with this light; it is mostly throw.

You might be able to increas output by using nimh cells, but I'm not sure how noticeable it would be since the dropin is regulated.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on what Mjolnir said

Using an aspheric lens is all about throw with NO spill
You need a Cree emitter for the best results .... the Malkoff uses a SSC P4

But, hey if your happy with the beam, then why not ? :)

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. Happy is relative, I'm still learning, so please don't be bashful.

I spent a few hours last night playing around with different lens configurations and drop-in placements with some interesting results.

First with the drop-in installed up a ways (not bottomed out) as in closer to the aspheric lens, the light became a flood monster. Literally a 30ft circle (my entire front yard) illuminated with a very bright and even circle of light.

With the drop-in "properly" installed the flood was less and in fact much like the stock set-up.

I also likes the aspheric better without the reflector.

Again I don't know what is best of which I prefer but seeing the different beams was enlightening (no pun intended).

I'll switch back to the stock set-up with glass lens (I have a 2-year old and want to protect the drop-in if she even found the light).

Either way the 3-D Mag w/ Malkoff is impressive.