Why the difference in Lumens in the listings??

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
OK - I'm Blind... I don't see the differences, other than the Lumens and the Run Time. They are both CREE MC-E Lamps.
If they are different, how can I get the 700lm light?
Thanks again,
Dave

Marduke

Flashaholic
OK - I'm Blind... I don't see the differences, other than the Lumens and the Run Time. They are both CREE MC-E Lamps.
If they are different, how can I get the 700lm light?
Thanks again,
Dave

The fact that both are Cree MC-E lights has nothing to do with how bright they actually are. One could easily made a 1xAAA 5 lumen MC-E light too.

From the specs for each:

Two mode tactical version
sequence of 100% > Strobe.
Output is rated at 580 lumen with a runtime of 70 minutes.

Four mode version
sequence of "maximum brightness (100% brightness) -> 20% brightness -> 2% brightness->strobe"
Brightness:700Lumens (full brightness stage)
Runtime: full brightness stage:45 minutes with regulated output

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
They are two different lights. Check the specs for the other differences.

Wolf Eyes Explorer models are very confusing especially when the two he is comparing are on two different sites. I, and a few people here I'm sure, have a hard time figuring out the differences with this new addition of the "700 lumens" flashlight in the Explorer line. How come PTS doesn't have the 700 lumen version on their site? I'm sure they would offer the brightest Explorer WE offers. Is the WE site just rating the light on max emitter lumens and PTS is stating out the front lumens. Is the 700 lumens light a new improved version and PTS doens't have the new model listed yet? PTS also has a four mode version and is still listed as 580 lumens, why is that? I think he was asking a very valid question about a very confusing line of flashlights. I'm glad you gave a little bit of an answer in your second post, but your second answer is a bit confusing too. How does the WE site list 2 single cell MC-E's with both haveing 700. Where is the 580 lumens one? Where can you get the 700 lumens light if they are indeed different?

Most of the time "Google it" or "Check it again" are very useless replies. I am familiar, to some extent, with the Explorer line and am still confused with the "700 lumens" one. I've googled it and found no where to buy it. Why does it only exist on WE's site?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have no idea why their website lists the lights it does. I was simply answering the question of what is the difference between the two he linked, which was info contained completely in the specs posted on the respective pages.

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
The Explorer on the W.E. site lists the bulb (700lm version) as a D37. My Explorer has a stamp on the bulb that says it too is a D37, although the rest of my docs says it's 580lm. Now I'm really confused.
Dave

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
I tried several times to call PTS about this, then sent them an email but didn't heard back. I understand they may be at the Outdoor Show. So, I approached an off-site WE dealer with this question. I was told that this was a new version of the light with a higher draw current (hence the higher output and shorter runtime). Apparently it's a very recent change and they don't have any in stock yet. They will be available with new WE shipments.

I understand that WE has always been relatively accurate on their lumen claims. If this light cranks out anywhere near 700 lumens I'm on one like a duck on a June bug.

RR

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
RR. Thanks for a good answer. I think Mike (PTS) is busy with the show as he hasn't returned any of my correspondence.
I'm hoping my light might be one of the new models, being a D37 lamp. Otherwise... I too will be chasing June Bugs. :)
Thanks,
Dave

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
RR. Thanks for a good answer. I think Mike (PTS) is busy with the show as he hasn't returned any of my correspondence.
I'm hoping my light might be one of the new models, being a D37 lamp. Otherwise... I too will be chasing June Bugs. :)
Thanks,
Dave

D37 is the size of the pill not anything specific about the driver module or the LED chip in it. Its a 37mm Diameter size. They both are the same size module, which again has nothing to do with how bright its going to be. The other standard size head you will hear a lot about is the D26 which is also called a P60. The Surefire 6P flashlight and all the clones that take that size module take a P60 size pill or a D26 size pill. Lumens Factory is one of the first to come out with aftermarket D37 size modules to fit into some LED or incandescent flahslights that took original factory lamps of that size. So don't take the D37 to mean anything about the lumens output at all.

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
Again, another good answer. Thanks. I guess I'll have to wait and talk to Mike and see what the scoop is.

Thanks,
Dave