Deree DBS V3 MC-E Quick Review!

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Hello, This is my first reiew/quick review of a flashlight. I am also a novice photographer so if I am off with something please let me know and I will try and correct it. :D

Ok here is my review on the Deree DBS V3 MC-E flashlight.

I received this from the wonderful people over at flashlightconnection.com Flashcrazy is his handle here on CPF. These guys are great, Extremely fast and responsive. Great pricing. Offical Dereelight USA distributor. Cant say enough good things about these guys!

First off the DBS was originally developed for a throw type of light with a single die pill. But now that Dereelight came out with a MC-E version there have been some changes.

This still retains the standard features of the DBS just with the different swappable die.

This is Type 3 HA in Black. I do believe that there are other colors available though.

Tailcap lock out so the light can be stored without accidental turn on or any sort of problems. Tailcap boot can be easily switched to other colors and the clicky/boot are extremely easy to replace. 1/2 tailcap turn to lock out.

This does come with a Double AR coated lens out of the box. Lens size is 44.41mm x 2.89mm if you would like to change it. I have no problems with the original lens.

Double O-Rings on each contact point.

The version I have is the single mode version. 1SM-E MC-E version. The input voltage is 4.6V - 12.0V. This will only run off two cells. You can use 2x18650 with an extension tube (I don't own one). Or you can use 2x16340s/123RCRs. You CANNOT use 3.0V 123 primaries. The current 2.1 draw is too much for primaries to handle and is not recommended to use.

This does have a pocket clip that is removable. I like this feature as sometimes I am somewhere where I need this amount of light I could easily clip this to my pocket or equipment. This wont fit any holsters I own. Including the DX Big holster and some other generics that I do have. The head is slightler larger than the Raidfire Spear but the Spear is a tad bit longer.

Comes in a really nice gift box with a full set of spare parts and O-Rings.

Expect to see around 500 lumens or so OTF with a 2x18650 configuration. Lux numbers are around 11k at 1m. This light will still throw a beam about 200 meters with a great amount of flood and spill. This light is a pocketsized powerhouse.

IMPRESSION/Short conclusion:

My impression as of now is that I really enjoy using this light. This light came well lubed from Flashlightconnection and the threading quality is outstanding. There is very little rattle while using 16340s but you wont notice that. This is bored for 18650s and with an 18650 you wont notice any sort of rattle or noise. I have not tried this with a 2x18650 extension but I'd expect the same. Everyone I show this light to is amazed by its quality and ability to emit light. I have convinced many other brand loyalists that this light will not be any slouch in terms of quality and overall brightness, it's a real attention getter. What I really love about this and all Deree products is that all the pills are interchangeable between each other. This means that you can now switch between pretty much any deree made pill and get different tints and options. Such as if you don't wish to use a quad die MC-E. You can drop in a R2 single die or a Q5 for a different host of options. I received my light with the LOP type of reflector. This is extremly smooth and has a slight but barely visable donut in the beam.

Bottomline is that, If you want a very high quality flashlight that will emit a high amount of light with still a good balance of throw and flood. This light is ideal. Very high quality, This is expected from Deree. This light usually sells for around 130 dollars give or take. It is well worth it. IMO

If there are any requests or additional info I can add please feel free to post a comment please keep things civil as this is my first review!

*PICTURES*, I am not the best picture taker but hopefully I get the point across for now. Beamshot pictures to come in the future.

Here is a shot at the body, Look at the thread and O-Rings. Thread quality is outstanding IMO

The head shot, Double O-Ring as well.

Reflector and Pill

Tailcap, Though unable to tailstand. The tailcap clicky/boot is rather seated deep inside the tailcap. Tailcap is somewhat firm and requires abit of pressure to manipulate.

And here are some comparison shots with other lights I own.

Deree DBS V3 vs Deree CL1H V4

Left to Right

Deree DBS V3, Deree CL1H V4, Surefire E2DL, Nitecore D10, Surefire 123 primary, Energizer AA lithium primary and Energizer AAA lithium primary.

Beamshots and other pictures to come, Any requests and I will try and fit those in as well. Camera used was Canon Rebel XS digital SLR.

If I missed anything or I add anything I will gladly add to the original post and post a reply/follow to what I have already stated.

Thanks all for reading and posting! :D

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

I am waiting for Deree DBS V3 MC-E to arrive early this week! I also ordered the 18650 extension tube and the R2 pill and smooth reflector to go with it.

This will be my first "serious" light.

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

I am waiting for Deree DBS V3 MC-E to arrive early this week! I also ordered the 18650 extension tube and the R2 pill and smooth reflector to go with it.

This will be my first "serious" light.

Very nice, You will not be disappointed! :thumbsup:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
how many lumens does the MC-E pill produce ?

Does the light get really hot ?

Forgoten214

Enlightened
It gets warm after maybe 15 minutes of straight usage. Lumens is around 500 OTF at 2.1AMP draw. Probably will see more lumens running 2x18650. No heat issues yet that I know of.

Beamshots to come soon, We've been having thunderstorms so hopefully that will clear up soon. :)

It's defiantly brighter than my MG PLI MC-E. P7 mag-lite is brighter but that is running at 2.8AMP right now.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I've been using a DBS V2 with the 2x18500 extension and a 2.4A MC-E (I also have a 2.1A MC-E in a CL1H V4).

For me this is the perfect size for a DBS MC-E and balances size with runtime. With the lanyard ring on the extension it provides a perfect grip point to easily access/leverage the tailcap switch (I have the 3-mode option pill). Rides easily in the front pocket of my BDUs and I found a folding/collapsible baton pouch that fits.

My favorite light for nightly walks. Thanks again for the taking the time to post your review and photos.

DBS2.jpg

Last edited:

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
Mine came in yesterday! Unfortunately, the 18650's and charger have not shown up yet.

All I had to test it with was some cheap 123's. It's definitely bright, but nothing like I have seen in beamshots with good 18650's. Hopefully the batteries and charger will be here in a couple days and I can finally "light the block."

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
Batteries and chargers arrived today. As soon as I get these charged I will finally get to try this light with some real power behind it!

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
Finally got the batteries and chargers in. Got them charged up. I am using Trustfire 2500mAh 18650's with a 1 amp charger.

The difference between these and the CHEAP 123's that I picked up from my local police supply store is... Well, night and day!

Unbelievably bright! The MC-E really does throw a "wall of light." It lit up an alley behind my house approximately 15 feet wide and 300 feet long!

The R2 WH put an incredibly tight and bright spot on trees at the end of the same alley.

The MC-E was still brighter at that distance than anything else I have seen other than the R2! I think I prefer the MC-E to the R2 for everyday use, as it allows me to really "light up the night" and still see what's between me and the spot that I am ultimately aiming at.

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Finally got the batteries and chargers in. Got them charged up. I am using Trustfire 2500mAh 18650's with a 1 amp charger.

The difference between these and the CHEAP 123's that I picked up from my local police supply store is... Well, night and day!

Unbelievably bright! The MC-E really does throw a "wall of light." It lit up an alley behind my house approximately 15 feet wide and 300 feet long!

The R2 WH put an incredibly tight and bright spot on trees at the end of the same alley.

The MC-E was still brighter at that distance than anything else I have seen other than the R2! I think I prefer the MC-E to the R2 for everyday use, as it allows me to really "light up the night" and still see what's between me and the spot that I am ultimately aiming at.

Very nice, :hitit:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I love my Deerelights, both the MC-E and R2. I definitely think that these flashlights really "shine" when used with the extended battery tube. Also feels more balanced in the hand with the extension.

Great review and photos! I agree with all of it :)

UpChUcK

Enlightened

What runtimes are you getting with your 2 x 2500mah 18650 cells?

Disco-Dave

Newly Enlightened
Just about to purchase a few upgrades after seing this thread just looking for confirmation that im buying the right things.

3SM CREE MC-E-M pill
DBS OP-MCE
EXT650

I read the pill only works with that reflector so just checking its the correct one and also the correct tube for 18650 batterys thanx