Rechargeable Energizer batteries suck

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I just charged some AAs from this brand last night and used it for 1.5 minutes in my new Mini-Maglite LED and now the beam is barely visible. These batteries can't hold charge worth crap. I am going to avoid buying anything with the rabbit on it.

clintb

Enlightened
If those are Energizer 2500 mAh NiMh rechargeable, then yes, they do suck. If you want good cells, check out Sanyo Eneloop.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really?

Energizer 2500mAh batteries are no good?

I'm gobsmacked. Never read that on these forums before.

Oh well, you learn something new every day.

bcwang

Enlightened
Tell me about it. I have a set of sanyo 2500 cells that self discharge so fast that they end up taking like 4+ hours to charge at 1amp on a c808m. And if you leave it trickling for the next 8 hours and then take them out to use, they are pretty much dead after that.

joeparker54

Newly Enlightened
Everyone is always so quick to shout out eneloops. They're great, but buying name brand is also a bit pricy. I've been having much better luck finding great prices on "Duraloops" aka Duracell precharged. I've yet to buy a fancy charger so i can't tell capacity, but they've held up great. I bought two four packs on ebay for $15 and more recently i found 3 Duracell mobile chargers including 2 precharged (white top, japan-made) cells for $1.35 apiece on clearance at meijer (Sick deal).
I can say that in my camera they seem to maintain voltage better than my Kodak precharged or Meijer powercell precharged. I can get at least 20-40 more pics w/ about 50/50 flash.

BTW, all the energizer rechargeables i've ever bought have never lasted more than a year. Fortunately i didn't have to buy many to figure that out. I have a couple of dead 2500Mah energizer D cells waiting to be drilled and filled for spacers in my 3D mag.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
Don't know from personal experience, but have heard that all the problems with the Energizer NMH's started with the 2500 mAh ones. I went to several stores this past weekend and noticed that most had the 2450 mAh ones. 2500 mAh NMHs for other brands also had a few problems, but they were solved with a handful of charge/discharge cycles to break them in. I have a couple of the LaCrosse BC-900's, and use the charge/refresh cycle to get new cells up to where they should be.

clintb

Enlightened
Really?

Energizer 2500mAh batteries are no good?

I'm gobsmacked. Never read that on these forums before.

Oh well, you learn something new every day.
No way, really? 1600 some odd posts and you haven't seen the numerous references to Energizer 2500's self-discharging while charging? j/k, but really, they do self-discharge stupid fast.

If you have Energizer 2500's, either send an email to Energizer, or call, and they'll likely give you a voucher for other Energizer products. Get some lithium primaries to have for a backup.

clintb

Enlightened
Everyone is always so quick to shout out eneloops. They're great, but buying name brand is also a bit pricy. I've been having much better luck finding great prices on "Duraloops" aka Duracell precharged. I've yet to buy a fancy charger so i can't tell capacity, but they've held up great. I bought two four packs on ebay for $15 and more recently i found 3 Duracell mobile chargers including 2 precharged (white top, japan-made) cells for $1.35 apiece on clearance at meijer (Sick deal).
I can say that in my camera they seem to maintain voltage better than my Kodak precharged or Meijer powercell precharged. I can get at least 20-40 more pics w/ about 50/50 flash.

BTW, all the energizer rechargeables i've ever bought have never lasted more than a year. Fortunately i didn't have to buy many to figure that out. I have a couple of dead 2500Mah energizer D cells waiting to be drilled and filled for spacers in my 3D mag.
The reason people are so quick to recommend Eneloop is because of their consistent performance and reliability. They may be more than Duraloop's, but you know what you're purchasing without even seeing the package.

For example:
Genuine Eneloop will always be made in Japan; no exceptions.
Duracell Pre-Charged could be relabeled Eneloop if:
1. Made in Japan.
2. White separator around positive button.

When ordering Duracell Pre-Charged online, do you know definitively that you're buying a relabeled Eneloop? No way. Not unless the seller states it and guarantees it. I'm almost positive there have been reports of made in China, with black separator, Duraloop's; AA's of course...

When you get into the AAA's, all bets are off. Just stick with Eneloop; you know exactly what you're purchasing.

lolzertank

Enlightened
No way, really? 1600 some odd posts and you haven't seen the numerous references to Energizer 2500's self-discharging while charging? j/k, but really, they do self-discharge stupid fast.

If you have Energizer 2500's, either send an email to Energizer, or call, and they'll likely give you a voucher for other Energizer products. Get some lithium primaries to have for a backup.

What should we say? Their products self discharge in three days if outside the freezer? :sick2: Worth a try, I guess.

clintb

Enlightened
What should we say? Their products self discharge in three days if outside the freezer? :sick2: Worth a try, I guess.
I emailed, from a link on the Energizer site, and stated they wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple of days. Energizer sent, IIRC, three vouchers worth around $10 each. I bought the 15 min charger with that.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some 2450's and they seem to hold up fine....i too had a lot of the 2500's and they would never hold a charge after a couple of days. I just recycled them and told myself that i would never go with energizer's again....I got a couple of the 2450's for free so i dont mind. I charge them every two weeks depending on usage.