Computer question: Pictures

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all. Simple question for you. In the my pictures folder, how do I put all the pics in that folder into another folder? Can I move the whole bunch at once or 1 at a time? I have a bunch in there, I want to empty it out for new ones and put the old ones somewhere else and maybe later to CD. Windows XP. Thanks. :tinfoil:

Radiophile

Enlightened
Open the folder and click somewhere once - either a file or just some space inside the folder window.

CTRL+A - highlights all files
CTRL+X - cuts all files to the clip board

Select the folder where you wish to move the files - you can either highlight it or open it and click somewhere in the folder to select it

CTRL+V - pastes all items from the clip board to selected folder

StarHalo

Flashaholic
When you see the display of files in your folder, rather than clicking one to move/copy it, you can hold down the Ctrl key and then click several, all of which will be selected. You can also hold down the Shift key and select a range - click one file, then click another that's several files away; all the files in between will be selected.

The way I usually move a large number of files is to have two instances of Windows Explorer open - one to the source folder and one to the destination folder. Then I use either of the techniques above to select specific files (or Ctrl+A for all) and after making my selections I right click and drag them to the destination folder window - right clicking gives you the option to move OR copy once you release the button.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an alternative to moving all the individual files, If you want to move everything in the folder, you could just rename the folder and make a new one. Then you could move the entire folder all at once.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
As an alternative to moving all the individual files, If you want to move everything in the folder, you could just rename the folder and make a new one. Then you could move the entire folder all at once.
+1, just rename folders and move or if you want to combine folders make sure the two folders are not in the same level in the same folder or not nested and name them the same dropping the folders onto the same location (parent folder) and it should ask you if you want to replace etc.... choose yes and it will combine the contents into one folder.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you guys elaborate for the computer challenged? Thanks for your help!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Could you guys elaborate for the computer challenged? Thanks for your help!

folder name: Old Folder (with pics in it)
folder name: Pic Storage (empty where pics are going)
rename the Old Folder to Pic Storage and drag that folder to the parent directory where your empty Pic Storage folder is and drop it and you will have a dialog box pop up saying something like folder exists do you want to replace? and then choose yes or all I think. Now your Old Folder no longer exists so you create another folder where that one was to fill up with pics.